Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i am new to this forum and sure am glad to find it...i just recently acquired a 1993 C4, the key fob wasnt working so i just replaced the battery, still not working......can you please help me figure out how to reset the key fob....thank you

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
RichardP said:
hello,
i am new to this forum and sure am glad to find it...i just recently acquired a 1993 C4, the key fob wasnt working so i just replaced the battery, still not working......can you please help me figure out how to reset the key fob....thank you
Sounds like the keyless entry was turned off.

Take your key fob, and stand next to your drivers door. Hold down the "door" button on the key fob until you hear the doors lock, then unlock. (make sure you hear two sets of clicks).

Now your keyless entry is re-activated. You do the same thing to turn it off.

Once enabled, if you walk away from the car about 10 feet the doors should lock on their own and you'll hear a toot of your horn.

If this does not work, you need to re-teach the key fob to the car, the instruction for this are in the manual. It's pretty simple to follow...

let us know how it goes!

And :buhbye: WELCOME :buhbye:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
key fob

thank you for the reply, i will give it a try, i hope it works, i dont have the manual.........resetting my c5 was easy, hopefully this will be also.

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Re: key fob

RichardP said:
thank you for the reply, i will give it a try, i hope it works, i dont have the manual.........resetting my c5 was easy, hopefully this will be also.
If it turns out you need to "re-teach it" I will type what's in my manual... just let me know.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Richard, welcome to the forum. :)

What part of Florida are you in??

·
Registered
509 Posts
You also don't know if the key fob is even sending a signal... I would try to reprogram it... and if un sucessful take it to a GM dealer.. they should have a tester at the parts department.. that way you know if the key fob even works..
-Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey everyone.... similar issue withe my fob..."key fob" hehe..

Anyway, I just purchased a 96 coupe and the keyless entry seems to work ok "I think" but this is what happens. Say I pull into the bay to wash the car and get out and shut the door.. I proceed to wash the car and as I'm going around the car with the keys in my jacket pocket the doorlocks keep locking and unlocking the whole time I'm washing it or whatever I'm doing at the time.

I was showing a friend of mine the car and as we went around it it kept locking and unlockin?? I don't know if this is supposed to happen or not?? It seems strange to me.

Also if I try and use the key fob button itself it won't unlock the door, the locks move a little but do not lock completely. It's like it just makes a small clicking noise but no lock.

I told the mechanic this and I told him I tried to lock it from inside the car as I can with my Jeep Laredo and it just does that small clicking but no locking and he said "I don't think its supposed to lock it while your inside the car!! Well I think it would work if it was working correctly!!!

I'll have them check into this stuff more in the spring time as Im going to be putting her up pretty soon anyway and I would hate to have it in the shop and a blizzard hit before I got the chance tp store her!!! So with a 2 yr warranty I can wait.

Thanks all, Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
The PKE system is not like most keyless entries. When the system is activated the FOB sends a signal to the CCM when you exit/approach the car. There are antennas in the door (drivers) & another in the rear under the rear trim. If you walk around the car you will activate/deactivate the system as you go in & out of range.

Your system is working normally. The PKE is activated by holding down the door button until the locks cycle. It can be deactivated using the same method. When the PKE is deactivated the door button will only open the pass/door & the rear hatch. Drivers door, you will have to use your key.

If you want to change the door opening selection (PKE activated) put the key in the ignition, donot turn on,& hold the door button until it cycles through differet settings.

In order to lock the car with the PKE deactivated you will have to use the door lock (electric) this also activates the alarm. I hope I'm making some sense..I'm doing this from memory. Suggest you get an owners manual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keyless entry

HI: I have a C/4: I recently purchased new keyless transmiters from GM with them came good instructions. I will find them as soon as I can & post them. Im new at this so I've got to figure out how to scan it & post it. Ther are a few things that can cause one not to work. If you need a new one I would go to GM & not to Ebay. New ones are $140.00 + tax , You have a new one not one that may not work when you get it. Check back tomorrow I'll try & have by then. Eli.:cheers:

·
Registered
93 Posts
OKRoutte66
I need a new plastic case for my 96 C4 as the clip that holds the two halfs together broke. Are thse expensive??:huh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
viscount.....question for ya??

Hey buddy...... your post d id make sense. The only question I have is this. You said that if you disable the the (forgot what you call it) "automatic system" that when it is off and you push the door lock it opens the back and the passenger door but "not" the "drivers door"??? That you have to use the key to actually open the drivers door if you deactivate the automatic system? For some reason this doesn't make sense:huh:

The reason I say this is that there is a button for the hatch on the fob on the left and then the door button on the right, why would the door button after automatic is shut off open the hatch now??? I'm thinking of shutting my automatic system off and see what happens. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
VetteTech81 said:
You also don't know if the key fob is even sending a signal... I would try to reprogram it... and if un sucessful take it to a GM dealer.. they should have a tester at the parts department.. that way you know if the key fob even works..
-Rick
:agree: :agree: :agree:
They will test it for FREE!!! and if It's not working your already at the only place to buy a new one!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: viscount.....question for ya??

NHVetterider said:
Hey buddy...... your post d id make sense. The only question I have is this. You said that if you disable the the (forgot what you call it) "automatic system" that when it is off and you push the door lock it opens the back and the passenger door but "not" the "drivers door"??? That you have to use the key to actually open the drivers door if you deactivate the automatic system? For some reason this doesn't make sense:huh:

The reason I say this is that there is a button for the hatch on the fob on the left and then the door button on the right, why would the door button after automatic is shut off open the hatch now??? I'm thinking of shutting my automatic system off and see what happens. Thanks, Jim
NHvetterider,
Sori, meant to say that you can only open the pass/door & the hatch using the appropriate buttons. I fear I am getting old & starting to miss things??

For those of you who don't want to purchase key fob's from ebay. Check with Chris May at Superior Chevy at 800 728-8267. They were selling new items for around $85.00 a while back. Don't know how much they may cost now? Be sure to mention you are from a corvette forum (digital).

·
Registered
155 Posts
LAB said:
OKRoutte66
I need a new plastic case for my 96 C4 as the clip that holds the two halfs together broke. Are thse expensive??:huh:
I doubt you can buy new halves. It has been mentioned on other forums & no one came up with a solution. One of mine broke & I used Rubber cement on both halves & secured with a rubber band until it dried, Believe it or not this was 4 years ago & have had no problems with the halves separating. The nice part is you can easily pry it apart to replace the battery & then repeat the process. Give it a try?::buhbye:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks,
I will install a new battery and try the rubber cement. $140 is too much. I need a GM shop manual more than the plastic.
:excited:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keyless Entry

RichardP : I've got the imfo you need to program your keyless entry, But I don't know how to add it to a thread by scanning it. Can some one tell me how it is done?:huh:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Viscount, why the passenger door???

Hey bud, doesn't seem to make sense that if you set the Keyless off and use the buttons that it only opens the passenger door??!!?? What's the deal....do you have to use the key to actually open the drivers door and if so why would they do that?? Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If that's the case it would be much better to keep the keyless entry system on then instead of using the fob and key. Thanks for your help. Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Hey Viscount, why the passenger door???

NHVetterider said:
Hey bud, doesn't seem to make sense that if you set the Keyless off and use the buttons that it only opens the passenger door??!!?? What's the deal....do you have to use the key to actually open the drivers door and if so why would they do that?? Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

If that's the case it would be much better to keep the keyless entry system on then instead of using the fob and key. Thanks for your help. Jim
Can only assume that not having to use either the Key or FOB was the primary purpose of the system:) It's a great system when it's workin!

If you need info on programming ??let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will do my friend.....

Going to try and program the spare FOB when I can find some time, I just put a new battery in as it was doing nothing before. We'll see.

I'm gonna keep it set to keyless entry, seems mine is working fine so minds as well take advantage of it. I think it's pretty cool and convenient walking up to your ride with the keys in your pocket and a hand full of groceries or whatever and the doors automatically unlock!! I've had some pretty cool reactions with that so far.:surprised

Thanks for the offer to post the instructions but I have the manual and should be able to follow it but if I run into problems I'll give ya a shout. Appreciate the offer. Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts