Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one notice that there is not a key hole on the DRIVERS door? They deleted the one on the passenger side a couple years ago.

Even the live shots of the car at the auto show does not show a key hole??
Any Ideas??

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
NChill4x4 said:
Well, they did say it'll incorporate a keyless entry and puchbutton start... maybe they just completely did away with keys to open the doors all together.
:agree:

But, there must be a way in the car in case the car battery dies....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After looking at the Motor Trend Pics it looks like they are going with the radio transmitter type key like the Mercedes uses.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I can't remember where I read it, but there is a hidden keyhole somewhere behind the rear license plate. One has to turn the key, then pull one of two cables hidden in the driver's rear wheelwell -- one cable for the driver's door and one for the gas filler cap.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Up under the rear license plate is a hidden lock that will open the rear hatch, once inside there are two hidden pull cables on the back of the left fenderwell that will release the driver door and gas filler.:partyon:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Found it in Hib's report on CAC:

"What's new is a power hatch "pull down". No more slamming it. Just close it gently and pull-down followed by latching is electric. What happens when the battery goes dead? Dave Hill had left the building. A bunch of journalists and a few Chevrolet executives stood around shuffling their feet wondering about that until Corvette Marketing Manager, Rick Baldick, showed-up, got the key, reached up under the license plate and inserted it into a hidden lock. A turn of the key and the hatch opens. Inside, on the back of the left fenderwell are two pull-cables which manually release the driver's door and the gas filler."

link to report

·
Registered
26 Posts
GX624 said:
I can't remember where I read it, but there is a hidden keyhole somewhere behind the rear license plate. One has to turn the key, then pull one of two cables hidden in the driver's rear wheelwell -- one cable for the driver's door and one for the gas filler cap.
OMG:rolleyes: Do you have to have the key fob for this to work, or anyone who knows this info gets entry, I find that hard to believe??:huh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
GX624 said:
Found it in Hib's report on CAC:

Corvette Marketing Manager, Rick Baldick, showed-up, got the key, reached up under the license plate and inserted it into a hidden lock. A turn of the key and the hatch opens. Inside, on the back of the left fenderwell are two pull-cables which manually release the driver's door and the gas filler."
OK, so that makes sense. Unless a key is required, any thief can unscrew the license plate and gain access. (But that also means I need to carry a key on me at all times, and I hate carrying around something I don't use regularly.)

Now, the next thing that worries me is, if I'm INSIDE the car and the battery gets disconnected or shorts out (like after a crash), are the cables for opening the doors easily reachable while sitting in the seats (assuming I already have a few broken bones and the car is starting to catch fire ... or if I've driven into water and the car is beginning to sink). Scary thoughts.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
I would assume the key is attached to the fob, and I would also venture to say that the inside door handles operate the same as regular door handles so that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The vette has the same system that the new caddy XLR has. Last may when I went to a SAE meeting in Detroit they showed how it works. The key fob that you carry in your pocket or purse unlocks the doors when you are about 10 feet away from the car. Your car knows that is you and not someone else, it unlocks the doors and then you press a pad inside the door handle. Once inside you just push the button, with your foot on the brake and presto! As far as the hidden key goes, yes you will need to have it with you, maybe in your wallet or something. The system was very cool and they have spent much time on it, so I would not worry about what ifs......

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would have a concern about a key and a lock that are not used very often or for a long time until suddenly they are needed. That lock could be frozen up with dirt etc. This could be an event that would cause me to swear! Oh well, we'll just have to see what is what.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
285 Posts
SharkInShark said:
OK, so that makes sense. Unless a key is required, any thief can unscrew the license plate and gain access. (But that also means I need to carry a key on me at all times, and I hate carrying around something I don't use regularly.)

Now, the next thing that worries me is, if I'm INSIDE the car and the battery gets disconnected or shorts out (like after a crash), are the cables for opening the doors easily reachable while sitting in the seats (assuming I already have a few broken bones and the car is starting to catch fire ... or if I've driven into water and the car is beginning to sink). Scary thoughts.
I've also read somewhere (again, I'll have to find where) that, should one lose power while inside the car, there is another cable (I believe I've read this) somewhere near, around, or under the driver's seat to open the door.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
i think i have a theory. My moms Bmw key is like a key and a fob put together. Anyway. When the key is in the ignition is charges the fob so you dont have to worry about a dead battery. Another thing. Since the car comes with OnStar cant they unlock your car if you call them. I thought they could but who knows.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
285 Posts
EDIT ON 1/6/04

I was WAY off!
But I have subsequently found the door release pull.

New pic further down in this thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did some snoopin' and found this in the 2004 XLR Owners Manual

[pics deleted]

Then I noticed what looks like the symbol of a key on this little handle on the C6's driver's seat.

[pic deleted]

The key symbol is not present in this shot (cut from LA Auto Show pics on CF), but I'm guessing this is the backup cable-pull for car/fob power failure.

[pic deleted]

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
SharkInShark said:
at that point i think the best bet would be to break the window...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts