Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I have poor impulse control.
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No way! I never would've guessed. And It took a study to figure this out? :rolleyes:
=======
Obesity Article said:
Poor eating and activity habits, not genetics, are the underlying causes for most cases of adolescent obesity, new research suggests.

The finding stems from an analysis involving more than 1,000 Michigan sixth-grade students who participated in the Project Healthy Schools program
The recent study found that 15 percent of the participants were obese. And almost all had poor eating habits.
The finding comes against the backdrop of the recent enactment of the federal government's new "Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010," which is designed to foster healthier school menus for the nation's 31 million children currently receiving lunch through school-based programs.
http://health.usnews.com/health-new...esity-rates-due-to-bad-habits-not-genes-study

===============================

Oh but wait, it gets even better. If you don't want them to be overweight:

1) Don't turn on the central heater at home
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110125/does-raising-the-thermostat-increase-obesity

2) Make them go to bed early, say..... 4:00pm.

http://www.endocrinetoday.com/view.aspx?rid=79908

3) Hell, while you're at it, just make them sleep outside during the Winter months with the other neighborhood children, and
http://www.rdmag.com/News/Feeds/201...ht-communities-can-protect-kids-from-obesity/

4) Don't take out their tonsils
http://www.pediatricsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=80160

Did I leave anything out? :lookinup:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Off topic, but don't forget that they're ranked far lower, when compared to the rest of the world, in educational testing.

This is the future of our country.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Off topic, but don't forget that they're ranked far lower, when compared to the rest of the world, in educational testing.

This is the future of our country.
The future is already here. :down:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Forget holding the parents accountable. We better hurry up and pass some legislation to curb this before the trend grows even larger. I'm sure we can legislate eating and exercise habits. After all, our health care costs will depend on it....

:lookinup:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
When I was young you had to threaten to beat me if I didn't come in from the outside where I was playing. I'd eat as quickly as my parents would allow and right back outside. I even ran with a stick in my hand once and didn't put my eye out. I was a real rebel. We played chase, tag, basketball, marbles and a bunch of games that involved running. I ate like a pig because I "worked up an appetite" and never gained weight.

Today's youth wake up and get on the computer or the Playstation, eat breakfast, ride a bus to school..........that's another thing. I used to walk about a half mile to the bus stop. Now it seems that the buses stop at nearly every house. No one died or got run over walking to the bus stop. After school today's kids come home and sit in front of the computer, TV or video game console.

I don't need a government study to tell me that obesity is linked to overeating and lack of exercise. As long as parents allow this to happen waistlines will continue to grow. I guess what I'm saying is that it's the adult's fault, not the children. Get them out of the house and off their dead asses. Quit being too busy to be a parent. Play basketball with them, hike, enjoy nature. It's amazing how much these moppets of today respond to a little parental involvement. They want to do things with you. If more parents would get up off their dead asses and tend to their children this fat problem would go away.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Forget holding the parents accountable. We better hurry up and pass some legislation to curb this before the trend grows even larger. I'm sure we can legislate eating and exercise habits. After all, our health care costs will depend on it....

:lookinup:
If you are joking, you shouldn't be. Government regulation of diet and activity are a certainty as the government gains more power over our healthcare. The Dems would probably deny it now. But as soon as it's out of the hands of legislators and in the hands of the regulators, you can bet they will identify the cost savings of healthier living and decide they must enforce that on the poor ignorant saps they have the power to regulate.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
When I was young you had to threaten to beat me if I didn't come in from the outside where I was playing. I'd eat as quickly as my parents would allow and right back outside. I even ran with a stick in my hand once and didn't put my eye out. I was a real rebel. We played chase, tag, basketball, marbles and a bunch of games that involved running. I ate like a pig because I "worked up an appetite" and never gained weight.

Today's youth wake up and get on the computer or the Playstation, eat breakfast, ride a bus to school..........that's another thing. I used to walk about a half mile to the bus stop. Now it seems that the buses stop at nearly every house. No one died or got run over walking to the bus stop. After school today's kids come home and sit in front of the computer, TV or video game console.

I don't need a government study to tell me that obesity is linked to overeating and lack of exercise. As long as parents allow this to happen waistlines will continue to grow. I guess what I'm saying is that it's the adult's fault, not the children. Get them out of the house and off their dead asses. Quit being too busy to be a parent. Play basketball with them, hike, enjoy nature. It's amazing how much these moppets of today respond to a little parental involvement. They want to do things with you. If more parents would get up off their dead asses and tend to their children this fat problem would go away.

Very well put! I was the same way. We rarely sat still for a minute, and I never had weight issues, and neither did any of my friends.

Maybe we were lucky in that we didn't have today's technology, and had to make our own fun things to do instead. :huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts