Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this morning on my way to work in my stock 04 eclipse gts (DD) i was behind a mini cooper s for prolly 5 miles up onto the interstate. Well we both get on and i get up to my normal 85 mph, (yes 20 over) rarely any cops in the morning and if there is i know where they always are. well on my way to 85, taking it pretty easy to get there the mini trys to catch up. by now im already 10 lengths infront of him still going 85 when i notice it in my rear view. so i was just like lets see what he has, left the car in 5th and floored it, could of down shifted but i dint think it was neccessairy. well get up to 100, still back about 10 lengths. 110, still there. 120 starting to fall farther back. but he still going. he actually had to dodge another car that was in the far right that pulled into the middle lane. luckily he managed to do it safely. but we keep going to about 140. by now hes about 20-25 lengths behind and still going. by now im almost to where the cops sit so im like screw it im not gonna risk it anymore. so i go slow back down to 65 and roll down my window. it was like he didnt even wanna pass me cause it took him a minute or so to actually go bye and he didnt even slow down to look over or anything. but i still went and gave him a thumbs up and he just kept on going.

im surprised my car with all the things going with it was able to make it to 140 but what surprised me most was that it still seemed to have quite a bit left in it. i did have it to 135 before when it had a little less than 40k on it. now its got 66+ and the problems are starting to creep up. the clutch is completely dead. learned on the car so it needs to get replaced. bad muffler. leaking coolant and oil. not much luckily. but of course it will only get worse.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The last time I saw 140 was on Delta airlines!

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
The Mini S must not have been a super charged version or the driver was afraid to take it any faster. My son has an '06 Mini S w/ super charger. I have had it up to 160 and it still had pedal left. It also handles great at speed.... much better than my Vette does.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nah it was the supercharged one. but i do find it very hard to believe it could do 160. because even though the car is pretty small and light 170 hp doesnt seem like it could put it up there. i would think it would have to be modded.

·
Registered
539 Posts
you were doing 140 in a 65 area? Nice. :surprised

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
I'm not saying that Matchframe is lying, but I WILL say that a GPS speedo and most stock speedos in production cars will vary greatly above 100, even in 'vettes.

I've seen it many times in many cars, once you get above 100 the speedo reads faster than you are actually going...

OP, I gotta give respect, every time I pick on a Mini, I break my car, so I pretty much just let them punk me, but they are the only cars I let do that. It must be some kind of curse or something...:laughing:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol yep 140 in a 65. its rare to have it that clear on the i.

so caged you are saying the the spedo on gps's also are off??

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Mini S must not have been a super charged version or the driver was afraid to take it any faster. My son has an '06 Mini S w/ super charger. I have had it up to 160 and it still had pedal left. It also handles great at speed.... much better than my Vette does.
I agree with "The Mini S must not have been a super charged version or the driver was afraid to take it any faster." :D

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
...I can't imagine going that fast sitting in a match box...:laughing:
:agree:. How stable can that thing be at 150mph on skinny tires and the massive aerodynamics that it has :rolling:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Ha!
The only way a Mini S could ever get to 160 mph is push it out the back of a C-130.

What you smokin' ?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Ha!
The only way a Mini S could ever get to 160 mph is push it out the back of a C-130.

What you smokin' ?
:rolling::rolling::rolling::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, I've only just registered on this site because I'm (hopefully) building up a '59 Vette for my mother soon, but if I'm honest, I've been poking around a bit, and this thread just made me register :D

A few things here, as a big (classic and modern) Corvette aficionado and a MINI Cooper owner.

1. The only MINI I can imagine getting to 160 and having plenty left would be Jan Bruggerman's personal race MINI, which I've had the pleasure to see in person. My own MINI is moderately modded (s/c pulley, intake, exhaust, suspension, the usual) and I've found the stock limiter of 137 a few times, but only after a VERY sluggish 30 seconds in 6th from 130-137. If I'd had the limiter taken off, a custom tune, and a lot more road, sure, it'd hit 150... but barely.

2. I have a "killed" story of my own that belongs here. In Florida, I was in a hurry to get to Orlando airport, so I was cruising along at a decent clip (90-120something) when I see a red glint behind me. GAINING on me. Wouldn't you know, it's a C6 Z06 :cool: He gets pretty much right behind me right away, but I sneak through a gap that closes before he can make it, and I'm off like a shot. Er... as much of a shot as a MINI can be on a highway.

A few minutes later, predictably, I get held up by the usual snowbirds being mindless dicks in the left lane. In the few minutes it takes for Mama Ontario to pass, the Vette has caught up. As the car in front of me pulls into the right lane FINALLY, I downshift to 4th and floor it. By the time I get past, I'm well on my way to redline (108 in 4th) and I promptly pull over to let the faster car through :D All I could hear at that moment was an exhaust screaming bloody murder, and the wind from a very well modified red ZO6 flying by me as if I was standing still. It made my day, and I proceeded to catch my flight. :cool:

The moral of the story: MINIs are amazing fun to drive, and actually do tend to keep up with non-Z06s at the track. But they're really not designed to do anything impressive in a straight line. They pull well through 4th... but they're still not a Vette.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
lol yep 140 in a 65. its rare to have it that clear on the i.

so caged you are saying the the spedo on gps's also are off??
Yes, some are, it depends on the quality. Quality will be a factor on how accurate it is. All it does is use three satellites (or more) to triangulate your position multiple times and uses an equation to figure out your speed between points. The higher quality units do this in milliseconds whereas the "cheaper" units take a bit of extra time to do this thus causing a slight delay in displaying your accurate speed.

I had one a couple of years ago that I did a quarter mile run with. During the run it didn't get any higher than 67 mph, my car trapped at around 101 at that time, and even after the run was over and I was slowing down, it never really "caught up" it just skipped the rapidly changing numbers and tried to show my current speed yet failed at that. Like I say, some are really great, like the aftermarket speedos from reputable brands, and some aren't...

Just because it says GPS on it, that doesn't mean that it's top of the line.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts