Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to buy Kooks headers but am unsure what size to order (1 3/4 or 1 7/8). I am installing these on a 2006 Corvette C6 LS2 and going straight into the factory exhaust (size??). There's only a $10.00 difference in price.I am looking at Maryland Speed:

http://marylandspeed.com/product_info.php?products_id=498

Also it says in fine print:
Maryland Speed Quote:
With the X-Crossovers, you can also choose between 3"x 2.5" and 3"x3" sizes. Choose the 3 x 2.5" size to connect to the factory and most aftermarket catbacks, and choose the 3"x3" catback to connect to aftermarket 3" catback systems.
Unquote
I assume since I am using the factory exhaust, I will need to order the 3"x2 1/2" X-Crossover?

The Jet Hot sterling silver 1300 degree coating looks nice! Has anyone gotten this (like $154.00 option)? I'll probably not pay the extra $75.00 for the X-crossover to be coated

Coating:
http://marylandspeed.com/information.php?info_id=7

In summary - is ordering the 1 7/8" header plus the 3" x 2 1/2" X-Crossover the size I need to order to go into factory exhaust?:thud:

·
Supporting Vendor
1,385 Posts
Most customers go with the 1 7/8" with the 2.5" X-pipe assembly. This will mate up to the factory exhaust. These headers are made from T304 stainless so you don't have to go with the Jet Hot coating to protect them but that will help keep the heat in.

We have a sale that covers all of the Kooks headers. Give us a call for a sale quote! :)

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC
ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR CURRENT SPECIALS and PRICE MATCH PLUS POLICY!

WE HAVE YOUR FORCED INDUCTION NEEDS COVERED WITH - ATI, VORTECH AND MAGNUSON SUPERCHARGERS ALONG WITH STS TURBOS!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most customers go with the 1 7/8" with the 2.5" X-pipe assembly. This will mate up to the factory exhaust. These headers are made from T304 stainless so you don't have to go with the Jet Hot coating to protect them but that will help keep the heat in.

We have a sale that covers all of the Kooks headers. Give us a call for a sale quote! :)

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC

WE HAVE YOUR FORCED INDUCTION NEEDS COVERED WITH - ATI, VORTECH AND MAGNUSON SUPERCHARGERS ALONG WITH STS TURBOS!
Thank you very much Tom for answering my questions. TBYRNE Motorsports just got my business if they can match the price plus 15%. I like that Price Match Plus Policy you have! I will also purchase the Callaway Honker CAI from you as well. I'll call and talk to your sales folks first thing in the morning when I get to work.

I do not see Underdrive Pulleys listed for C6 LS2 Corvettes. Do you carry them as well?

Thanks again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC

Hey Tom,

I just purchased the 1 7/8" 3" Kooks Headers with the 3" x 2 1/2" X Crossover. I opted not to do the Jet Hot Coating. I also ordered the Callaway Honker Cold Air Intake from you! I am very happy with price! I did not order the O2 Harness Extension for $99.00 since it specified for 2005 C6 that it was required. I own a 2006 C5. Did I do the right thing by not ordering part # EX682-Z?:huh:

Thanks again for the fast response. Like I said - you got my business.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
1,385 Posts
Your all set! The Kooks header packages now come with the required 02 extensions. They didn't at one time.

I'm checking on underdrive pulleys for the C6 now. I haven't seen many requests for them. The steering rack has to be moved to get it off.

Glad we could help with your purchase!

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your all set! The Kooks header packages now come with the required 02 extensions. They didn't at one time.

I'm checking on underdrive pulleys for the C6 now. I haven't seen many requests for them. The steering rack has to be moved to get it off.

Glad we could help with your purchase!

Tom

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC

Sorry Tom. I picked up my underdrive pulley at Texas Speed. They had a Powerbond really cheap and included the belt. I did not see any underdrive pulleys on your website. Thanks for looking anyway! I really appreciate your help with my mods.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would not run the underdrive pulley. You are not going to gain much power from it, but in a car that is all electronics you are going to slow down the alt which is not a good thing. Plus you should have called Zip on your headers, they have them in stock and you would have had them the next day, they also price match.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would not run the underdrive pulley. You are not going to gain much power from it, but in a car that is all electronics you are going to slow down the alt which is not a good thing.
What do you mean by "not a good thing"? Are my electrical componets no longer going to operate properly? Shorten the life?

I see no disclaimer from the companies selling these that they are harmful to electrical equipment. Are these for race cars only with no electronic's to speak of? The mfg. claims 10-12 RWHP for 236.00 with belt and my install is free. That's pretty cheap HP. It's too late anyway for me as I have already bought it and shipped to the shop. If it's going to screw up my car, I will try to send it back and eat the cost.

Anybody here have any experience with underdrive pulleys? Good or bad idea?:thud:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Anybody here have any experience with underdrive pulleys? Good or bad idea?:thud:
I have a UD Pulley on my car. As my car is cammed and has a higher idle than normal it functions like stock at idle. I have monitored the voltage going to the injectors and they are getting full voltage at 7000 rpm.

I can not tell you the gain from the UD. The US was done while my 403 was out of the car being assembled.

:cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Midnite - Roadracer had me a little freaked out over installing the UD pulley. Too many people here have one installed for there to be a problem with them. I'm sure we would have heard if there were electrical problems associated with installing an UD Pulley.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The only problem with UD Pullies is they slow down the turning of the other Pullies on the system. I.E. Your water pump and alternator will also slow down. The electrical problems may arise b/c your alternator is spinning slower, thus not charging as fast. That only has negative affects if you are running a lot of electrical things, like amps or subs or stuff like that that wasn't designed in the stock setup. The UD Pulley will be fine. If it does start to give you problems you can get a smaller pulley on the Alt and speed it back up, same as the water pump.

Sounds like you are going to have a fun car. I'm doing something like what you are, but I added a cam and the stuff that goes with it. Enjoy your ride man.

Josh

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I added the Cam to my list, so now my list looks like:

Kooke's Headers, X-Crossover, High Flow Cats
Mild Cam with double springs and pushrods by Carolina Auto Masters
Callaway Honker CAI
Powerbond Pulley with belt
Tune

I hope to notice an improvement with adding the target added 80-85 RWHP. This should be a fun car to drive after these mods.!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I added the Cam to my list, so now my list looks like:

Kooke's Headers, X-Crossover, High Flow Cats
Mild Cam with double springs and pushrods by Carolina Auto Masters
Callaway Honker CAI
Powerbond Pulley with belt
Tune

I hope to notice an improvement with adding the target added 80-85 RWHP. This should be a fun car to drive after these mods.!:thumbsup:
You'll notice an improvement alright, :smack . That car is going to kick some @$$.:partyon:

Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts