Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"If this was so grave, Congress is still in session. The President could have said 'don't go home, I've got to talk to you about what's happening here. I may need your approval.' This is about the Constitution and if we don't abide by our Constitution, everything falls apart here. This is about the Constitution, not about whether you like President Obama or not. I like President Obama, but I love the Constitution," Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) said on FOX News this morning.

Kucinich quoted President Obama from 2007, where he said the President "does not have the power," according to the Constitution, to attack without Congressional approval:

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation," Obama said in 2007.

Video in link...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ion_his_own_advice_with_strikes_on_libya.html

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I think the system we have worked under for a long time works just fine. Under that system, the Pres. as Commander-In-Chief can send the military anywhere he sees fit for pretty much any reason. But the funding for the ongoing activity must be approved by congress. If Pres. over reaches, congress can cut funding and force him to get out. But requiring congress to rubber stamp every activity ahead of time can destroy the timliness factor in planning and executing attacks. I'm not going to beat up on Obama on this one. My only complaint is I think he waited too long to signal strong support for the opposition.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I agree

He's broken the law

He has Abused his power as president

Obama = Dictator

Also where's the E85 Fewl ?

That was supposed to be your Baby

But you dropped the ball again ?????

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I agree

He's broken the law

He has Abused his power as president

Obama = Dictator

Also where's the E85 Fewl ?

That was supposed to be your Baby

But you dropped the ball again ?????
E85 again? :rolling:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
The President, as Commander in Chief, has the power to wage war for up to 60 days without seeking Congressional approval- only Congressional notification is required. This power is given to him by the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which superceeded the previous War Powers Acts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More importantly to Obama, there is the Charter Articles contained in the UN language that will support his actions. Chapter 1 -article two -sections 2 through 7. This is where Obama will seek the right and differences to combat his past accusations of unconstitutional authority and the war in Iraq.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter1.shtml

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
I think the system we have worked under for a long time works just fine. Under that system, the Pres. as Commander-In-Chief can send the military anywhere he sees fit for pretty much any reason. But the funding for the ongoing activity must be approved by congress. If Pres. over reaches, congress can cut funding and force him to get out. But requiring congress to rubber stamp every activity ahead of time can destroy the timliness factor in planning and executing attacks. I'm not going to beat up on Obama on this one. My only complaint is I think he waited too long to signal strong support for the opposition.
I think he needed to follow the UN insertion timeline on this event.

We are not leading this campaign.

on the other hand,
We need to keep to the no fly goal, because it looks like the rebels are gonna lose steam and fail on this one, which puts us in a seat where, if we have other goals, interests, commited to helping the rebels win the country, or letting the old regime regain control and have another Iran on our hands....due to our involvment in what we should have never stuck our noses in in the first place....

since we are always the evil west attack leading country...:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts