Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the airbox in an L-88 worth the extra cost?

I ordered an L-88 hood from Vanacor and will drive over to pick it up around mid January. Not much for saving the shipping, but it is a good excuse for my wife and I to go on a day trip.

Anyway, I would like to know if I should order the hood with the airbox?

Thanks!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Only if you plan on setting it up like an L88 with the air cleaner mating to the hood. Otherwise it's just in the way. I have a 68-72 L88 hood that was made up with a box and I probably will bring it to Carlisle next year to sell. I'd rather go with an open hood, no box.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
:agree: They eat up a lot of hood and carb clearance.

If you plan to use it and make the box functional, get the hood with the box in place. It might cost a bit more than the box separate, but it'll save you the time and energy of glassing it in and all the bodywork associated with adding it to a pre-formed hood.

If you are using it as a backup or a future cold air option, wait until you are actually doing that mod, buy the box, and glass it in when you are ready to use it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a L88 scoop bonded on my stock hood and when I use to run the stock fan air use to pour out of the scoop at idle it might have let a little heat out.
When I replaced the old rad. support I left out some of the foam rubber that goes across the rad. support so some air when you are driving could go across the top of the support and go by the carb. and out the scoop hole.
I thought maybe it would keep the air aroud the carb a littl cooler.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
One of Vanacor's hoods:

That's a 5" L-88 hood. I can stack 2 of those 3" air filters and still have 2" between the top and the hood..:thumbsup: Room ain't a problem anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback !!! :thumbsup:

I think I will just get the hood without the airbox.

Tim, did you have to do much work on the hood to fit it to your Vette? Looks like a really well made hood! I am getting the smaller scoop, I think it is 4 inches taller than stock.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks for the feedback !!! :thumbsup:

I think I will just get the hood without the airbox.

Tim, did you have to do much work on the hood to fit it to your Vette? Looks like a really well made hood! I am getting the smaller scoop, I think it is 4 inches taller than stock.

I have a 4" long L88 hood from Vanacor on my '77.

It's well made, but not a direct fit. It'll take some body work...sanding and massaging, to get the gaps just right.

It's a LOT lighter than a stock hood by the way, without the air box.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The only thing I had to do was cleanup the right latch mounting holes (resin in the inserts) and let the hood rest on a bumper about the middle of the right side for a couple of weeks. IT was low in the middle but the bumper and the weight of the hood fixed it. And I got this from the "old" Vanacor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As mentioned only get the airbox if you want the l88 air cleaner setup as well. Back when I got my hood, I bought it from a friend who already had the airbox on it. I ended up spending the money to get the l88 air cleaner stuff as well to make it work, plus a spacer to get the carb height right. What I will add is if you get the l88 air cleaner ditch the foam filter for the hood and put a K&N in the hood. I had a backfire light the foam filter up and fortunately some guy stopped and had water/beer to help me put out the fire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts