Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just recently learned how to count past three, to four...C4 that is (and not the explosive)...question is this..I can get an 84 with auto and a knocking l83 in it for about 1300...how tough would it be to swap in a l98 engine and trans from an 87??

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
easy enough. mounts for engine and trans are all the same. will need to upgrade fuel pump also--and filter system for high pressure. wiring harness for engine is different obviously..

but basically it's the same car.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
O..how tough would it be to swap in a l98 engine and trans from an 87??
If you swap over the L83 CFI intake then in bolt in swap.

If you want to run the later TPI induction then you need the TPI computer and wiring harness

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why? Why not just go with a LSX? Heck even just a standard 5.3L LM7 truck motor? They are cheap and everywhere!

If you are hell bent on putting in a 350 TPI....I know where one is that will be for sale soon (85). :D

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
question is this..I can get an 84 with auto and a knocking l83 in it for about 1300...how tough would it be to swap in a l98 engine and trans from an 87??
That's a cool, low cost entry project to the C4. There are plenty of engine/trans available and with a little effort you could add a little extra pep to the motor before you swap it in.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the imput guys...yeah I was thinking a few things, but I happened to see that motor and trans for sale for 1200..but it looks like the guy got some other guy less informed than I to buy it...would anyone here pay more than 1200 or 1300 for an 84 with bad motor, tore up seats, ttop gaskets shot etc..about the only good thing on the car was thie tires...even the headlight had a bungee cord on it

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
would anyone here pay more than 1200 or 1300 for an 84 with bad motor, tore up seats, ttop gaskets shot etc..about the only good thing on the car was thie tires...even the headlight had a bungee cord on it
Probably not, considering how much is needed to fix it up and given that $3-4k can actually buy a nice drivable C4.

But if you're set on building up a beater, knock 'em down on the price.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
thanks for the imput guys...yeah I was thinking a few things, but I happened to see that motor and trans for sale for 1200..but it looks like the guy got some other guy less informed than I to buy it...would anyone here pay more than 1200 or 1300 for an 84 with bad motor, tore up seats, ttop gaskets shot etc..about the only good thing on the car was thie tires...even the headlight had a bungee cord on it
While that's a ton of work and will take some money to fix it $1200 is about bottom of the barrel money wise for a C4 Corvette. Most all of them are in the $2000 range as the bottom dollar for them. Sure you can buy slightly nicer ones for 3 or 4 grand but there is a floor on pricing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts