Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you guys I got a new tranny. I got my used 700r4 with 63,000 miles on it over the weekend and had it installed by monday. Well now I ran into a little problem. I am at school right now, but on the way over I had run into quite a bit of traffic, and with the temp over 115*, the drive wasn't so nice. The car usually runs between 215 and 225. Well when pulling it into the school parking lot. I was at 252*. It took a while for it to get that high, but nevertheless, thats too hot for me. My car is currently hooked to an Engine Diagnostic Machine right now, and the only thing I'm reading is a LEAN warning. But my sensors, timing, and vacuum is fine. Any other ideas why I might be runnin that hot??? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
If you don't have a full day to pull out the radiator, at least get up in there with a hose and spray all of the crap that is stuck in there, you can also use a air hose. You'll be suprised how much crap gets clogged in the lower section of the rad. and it usually results in high temps. Take your time, that stuff gets caked pretty good, don't go prodding around or poking either, just high pressure water or air.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I'd say t-stat unless you've already gotten a new one in there, even then, some are bad out of the box. If not that, rad flush, new 50/50 mix and maybe some purple ice or watter wetter for insurance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just out of curiosity did your cooling fans kick on?

cliff

·
Cleaner than Stock, Faster than Phock
726 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes my fan is kicking in. I notice them kick in about 226* and shut off around 215*. But Im going to go ahead and take your guys's advice on my radiator. Its the stock one and ive had it for 3 years without cleaning it, just draining it and putting new 50/50. So who knows how long its been since any other stuff has been done to it. And I havent replaced the thermostat in it. Under first warm up, it seems to open at 209*. Cuz once my gauge hits that, it drops down to 203*. Then from there it just gradually climbs to where I was at yesterday. So thanks again you guys, any more advice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
200-230 is perfectly normal but it shouldn't get warmer than that with the car running. Sounds like the radiator isn't getting airflow, pull the upper hose and remove the shroud and clean it out. I modified my shroud so I can remove it now without touching the hoses or ATF lines.

The leaves and trash get in through a 1" gap below the a/c condensor. I sealed this off with heavy duty weatherstripping. Might cost me a tiny bit of peak cooling capacity but its worth it to keep the radiator clean.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would change the T-Stat, Check the waterpump and make sure its not leaking around the weep hole, clean the radiator. also if you want to run a little cooler if its real hot in your area you can run a 70/30 mix.

·
Registered
716 Posts
200-230 is perfectly normal but it shouldn't get warmer than that with the car running. Sounds like the radiator isn't getting airflow, pull the upper hose and remove the shroud and clean it out. I modified my shroud so I can remove it now without touching the hoses or ATF lines.

The leaves and trash get in through a 1" gap below the a/c condensor. I sealed this off with heavy duty weatherstripping. Might cost me a tiny bit of peak cooling capacity but its worth it to keep the radiator clean.

You might also want to replace the fan switch on the underside of the plenum. Doesn't really matter what temp Tstat you have, if your fan switch is shot.

BTW CC, Nice avitar.
At first, it didn't register.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty well I flushed the radiator and got out a lot of debris. Ran a 60/40 mix, and threw in a couple bottles of water wetter. The car runs great. My fans kick in when they are suppose to and haven't seen anything over 218*. Thanks again you guys for your help.:partyon:

·
Registered
322 Posts
You might also want to replace the fan switch on the underside of the plenum. Doesn't really matter what temp Tstat you have, if your fan switch is shot.

BTW CC, Nice avitar.
At first, it didn't register.

There is no fan switch under the plenum. The primary fan is controlled by the computer, front of the intake baseplate. The backup fan switch (or auxiliary switch if you have the aux fan) is in the head between #6 and #8.

·
Registered
159 Posts
October Corvette Enthusiast has a good section for C4s. The Cool Side of Preventive Maintenance pg. 62. I couldn't believe all of the crap built up between the radiator and A/C condenser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts