Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
stilcrazee said:
Try PM'ing or Emailing VetteTech81, go to members (on header above) I think he is on page 52? has link to email and pm. ask him his name is Rick.
Or.... click "members" then just click "advanced search".... and search for his name.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Yea? I e-mailed my vette tech, because he'll fix my vette at my house AND he'll bring me beer, hookers and a Ouija board. So, I go along with anything he says.:thumbsup:

:rolling: I'm kidding!

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
RT66Z06 said:
This may be straying off topic but my experience with dealers and warranty claims is that if they think the zone will approve the work, they'll fix the car under the warranty no matter what you've done to it. But that assumes that you have a pre-exisitng good relationship with the dealer and the service department. i.e., if you purchased several cars from them and take the car to them for service, they will tend to turn a blind eye to modifications to the car, as long as the modified part can't be construed by the zone manager as causing the failure (or contributing to it). e.g., if you have an aftermarket PROM and you spin a bearing, well, the dealer might not care, but the zone manager, always eager to keep warranty costs down, will probably refuse the claim. And for expensive claims the zone manager has to inspect the car before it's approved.

My 1991 ZR-1 had only about 3,000 miles on it when the LT5 engine seized. And I mean seized. The rear wheels locked up and had I not depressed the clutch pedal and caught the tail before it came all the way out I would have collected a couple of cars in the lane beside me. The Zone wanted to replace the LT5 with a remanufactured LT5 from Mercury Marine. I said no, I wanted a brand new engine, and no I didn't give a **** about numbers- matching, and no I didn't want them rebuilding the original engine (a moot point since they were not going to do that, period). It turned out, after several letters to the President of Chevrolet Motor Division, (at the time Jim Perkins) that the seizing issue was a known problem and they offered to buy the car back for what I paid for it on condition I buy another Corvette, which I did.

The dealer had very little to say in that whole process, it was up to the zone and ultimately to Chevrolet corporate to make the call. I'm just thankful the car was bone-stock because had I modified anything I would have been stuck with a bill approaching $20,000 for the engine (sound excessive? It did to me too. The explanation? Since Mercury Marine built a finite number of engines, selling me a new engine would prevent Chevrolet from selling a ZR-1, costing it serious grip in terms of gross profit. So if I wanted an engine, I had to essentially pay for the engine and the profit GM would have made. It's called "opportunity cost").

Chevrolet did the right thing and I have continued to remain loyal to the brand because of that.

Anyway, I hope this guy gets his final drive swapped okay. The 3.42:1 will be noticeable the minute he drives it home. SEG

Alooooha! (as Don Ho would say it)

Ray
Ray... have you ever run a carfax on your old ZR1? I'd be curious to know what they did with it....

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
RT66Z06 said:
Todd,

Odd you mention that. I just had to have the seal on the left half-shaft (they call it an axle) replaced with about 10,000 miles on the car. The problem started suddenly and because I'm so anal about the car I caught it the same day it started. It was repaired (in what I consider to be record time) and after another 1,000 miles or so I see no evidence of reoccurance.

Is this a known issue? Is there a service bulletin concerning it? My inference is that they would have used the upgraded kit: is that a correct inference?

Mahalo.

Ray
TSB # 03-04-20-001 JAN 03 Differential - Revised Rear Axle Assembly Procedure

TSB# 03-04-95-001 JAN 03 Drive Axles - Revised CV Joint and Seal Replacement

http://www.alldata.tsb.com/TSB/10/011006IX.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.