Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I always thought it was just the one nut that gave him that edge. :huh:

http://www.businessinsider.com/lance-armstrong-doping-2011-5

On Sunday evening, 60 Minutes aired a long segment on the ongoing investigation into whether Lance Armstrong, the 7-time champion of the Tour de France, used performance enhancing drugs.

Armstrong, a cancer survivor, philanthropist, and American hero, has always denied using drugs, even as cycling has been revealed to be riddled with blood doping and Armstrong's teammates have come forward and said that he did it. The 60 Minutes story revealed that two of Armstrong's closest teammates, Tyler Hamilton and George Hincapie, have now testified to a grand jury that they saw Armstrong use performance-enhancing drugs.

Hamilton also said that, contrary to Armstrong's claim that he has never failed a drug test, Armstrong actually did fail one in 2001--in a Swiss race leading up to that year's Tour de France. Hamilton believes that the International Cycling Union persuaded the testing organization to ignore the test.

The Hamilton and Hincapie testimony is the strongest evidence yet that Armstrong broke the rules, and Hamilton's 60 Minutes appearance was made more credible by his repeatedly pointing his finger at the sport of cycling and himself as well as at Armstrong. Hamilton described a sport in which it would have been impossible to win without doping because everyone was doping. He also made clear how many jobs and careers depended on Armstrong's remaining "clean." If the Swiss test hadn't been disappeared, Hamilton said, the US Postal Service team would have been finished, and his job and 50-60 other jobs would have been lost.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/lance-armstrong-doping-2011-5#ixzz1NCi2iuP7

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I just don't understand why people are determined to destroy heroes. It's one thing to be realistic about the world we live in, but it is quite another to create an environment where kids think every successful person is probably corrupt. They either become jaded, or worse yet, think that cheating is the only way to success.

I don't want to hear it anymore. No one is perfect; that shouldn't be news.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't understand why people are determined to destroy heroes. It's one thing to be realistic about the world we live in, but it is quite another to create an environment where kids think every successful person is probably corrupt. They either become jaded, or worse yet, think that cheating is the only way to success.

I don't want to hear it anymore. No one is perfect; that shouldn't be news.
So are you saying what an iconic sports hero is or is not doing to win is none of our business? :huh:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
So are you saying what an iconic sports hero is or is not doing to win is none of our business? :huh:
I say catch him in the act - with a positive test while he is competing, or leave him alone. I am all for checking on active players and enforcing the rules 100%. But going back in history and relying completely on personal testimony is fraught with problems - including the possibility of people lying. As little as I care about Barry Bonds, I think he should be left alone in his retirement. Same for Palmeiro and the others.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say catch him in the act - with a positive test while he is competing, or leave him alone. I am all for checking on active players and enforcing the rules 100%. But going back in history and relying completely on personal testimony is fraught with problems - including the possibility of people lying. As little as I care about Barry Bonds, I think he should be left alone in his retirement. Same for Palmeiro and the others.
:agree:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I don't care if he doped nor do I think many do. It's silly bicycle racing. Who cares?
Nobody cares, anymore. Hell, people wear their corruption & cheating skills like a badge of honor now days. Sports, government, business, don't matter. The better at cheating/corruption you are, the better your chances at fame and fortune.

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Accusations from a biker who was caught doping twice...

I don't recall the numbers, but Armstrong has got to be the most tested athlete in modern sports. Shame sports media is even giving Hamilton a minute on the soapbox.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
:agree: He is a damn good cyclists, leave him be.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Has yet to test positive. End of debate.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Accusations from a biker who was caught doping twice...

I don't recall the numbers, but Armstrong has got to be the most tested athlete in modern sports. Shame sports media is even giving Hamilton a minute on the soapbox.
:surprised :agree:

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I don't care if he doped nor do I think many do. It's silly bicycle racing. Who cares?
I agree with you to a point. It's bicycle racing americans don't care, that is until an American is kicking the world's ass repeatedly in the biggest race that sport(can't believe I called it a sport) has. If he was doping shame on him and strip his titles, but in the end I agree who cares it's ****ing bicycle racing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts