Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Mellings performance pump but it's taller than the old one and won't fit in the pan without touching. should I use a new reular pump spare I have or do I absolutely need the performance one that pumps 10% more. 1 guy says it could burst the oil seals, or is that hogwash.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I'm guessing the pump pickup is what's touching the pan. If that's the case, rotate the pickup in the pump slightly so the pickup screen is about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the pan. If it's already tack welded in, it may be possible to bend it a little bit. All it needs is to be off the bottom. As far as the guy that told you that 10% more volume will blow seals? He's as full of s**t as a Christmas goose. If you can't get the pickup to adjust, your standard pump will be fine for your application.

:cheers:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Unless your full on racing you do not need the high volume pump. I have never seen one bust any seals, but I don't build engines for a living either.
If its gonna be a PITA I would dump it

·
Supporting Vendor
3,772 Posts
Std pump is all you need. The pickup should be placed in the pump lower then the correct position, then lay the pan in place and and tap it, then move the pickup 1/4" and that should be in the correct position with the pan and gasket. Tac weld the pick in position. Remove the pump cover and use a scraper to remove the sharp edges. Some guys will pack the pump gears as well but I use a drill and primer prior to startup to check the pump psi and now it's primed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts