Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year for the 427 is 2008?

Just got my Automobile rag, and looks like the 2008 Z is it for the LS7 engine.

In January 2008, the new Z will debut at the auto show with the 6.2 (650hp) supercharged engine. (Still not sure of the name SS or BD)

Some specs:

LS9 6.2 liter V8 supercharged and intercooled
Carbon fiber hood, roof, and door panels
Cost $100,000

Any opinions?

augydog

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeah, I wish I had a spare $100,000

·
Registered
759 Posts
well I guess I can keep my imaginary $100,000 then :cheers:

cool, imaginary drinks on me :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I hope thats not true. Chevy is the only auto company left that understands none aspirated horse power. Throwing a blower on a 8V is a cheap way to get horse power. It you want that get a Ford with 500 horse ower that is way too heavy.

I hope they dont go down that road.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
:laughing:

That mag is SO clueless.
:agree:

Everything I have seen (on DC and otherwise) is clear that the Blue Devil will be a low production car above the Z06, not a replacement.

·
Banned
622 Posts
I hope thats not true. Chevy is the only auto company left that understands none aspirated horse power. Throwing a blower on a 8V is a cheap way to get horse power. It you want that get a Ford with 500 horse ower that is way too heavy.

:agree:

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I'm not saying or implying anything here, but for a company thats looking to cut costs and still retain it's flagship, a single engine with a s/c option is about as affordable as you can get. The 6.2 LS3 / 6.2 LS9 SC...lets see, the LS3 output is 430HP, so add a sc/40% and you get :602 HP, almost as strange as when they slapped 505 on the Z, huh? Like I said, I'm no insider, but if money woes are an issue at GM, this fits the bill.

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts

Yeah, just let me know where I can get that cheap supercharger/bottom end/top end/pcm/fuel system/custom tuning/upgraded trans/rear/ect. I'll jump right on it.:laughing: NOS is the only cheap power adder imo.:cheers:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I will **** my pants the day a stock Corvette costs $100,000

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know anything but I was under the impression they will
make the SS with the LS9 and continue the regular Z06 with the LS7
engine.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I will **** my pants the day a stock Corvette costs $100,000
Get your tissue ready because its going to happen. I think they'll keep the base price under 100K, but loaded up and with tax it will be over the century mark IMO.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just got my Automobile rag, and looks like the 2008 Z is it for the LS7 engine. augydog
If that's the case then what will they be building at the Wixom perf build center? Everything I've seen indicates they are going with a three model lineup, including the LS7/Z06. But whatever they do I hope they keep offering a balls-to-the-wall normally aspirated engine like the LS7. Some folks don't care for supercharging and the base engine is never going to be radical enough for the high-perf crowd.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I really don't know though, this kind of talk is just like the Lexus LF-A concept. People want to know if it's going to be the next Supra or a high dollar Lexus sports car.

Time will tell, talk about the LF-A has been around for 3 years now going on 4 and i'm guessing it will be the same for an SS/Z oh-whatever-number Corvette.

But that depends if GM can pull Chevy's ass out of a huge sales slump from last month.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I thought the whole 6.2 myth had been debunked and it was assumed that the SS was going to have a 7.0L supercharged motor? Maybe the 427 won't make it's way into the C7, but I doubt that it will disapear in this generation Corvette.

The C7 is set to debut in like '10, right?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I thought the whole 6.2 myth had been debunked and it was assumed that the SS was going to have a 7.0L supercharged motor? Maybe the 427 won't make it's way into the C7, but I doubt that it will disapear in this generation Corvette.

The C7 is set to debut in like '10, right?
The curent Z06 with its 427 is such a high-water mark in Corvettes, I couldn't see replacing mine with anything with less displacement...at least until a much-lighter C7 arrives. And some sources inside GM say that won't be until 2012, with a C6 mid-cycle freshening in 2010. That is way too long. Hope its not true, too many C6s are sitting on dealers lots now. Special editions and the $100.000.00 SS won't keep the public interested enough to continue to buy 30,000 C6s a year (Especially with all the hot new performance cars coming out in the next few years).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just don´t believe GM will kill that fine 7L engine. Development of a new engine certainly isn´t cheap and to my opinion it will make no sense whatever to stop LS7 production and build some crappy supercharged ****. I dislike superchargers. I hate them. They are impure crapshit.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
...and build some crappy supercharged ****. I dislike superchargers. I hate them. They are impure crapshit.

Why do you like supercharged engines so much.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts