Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of the stock 75 rear bumper cover, and the 79 is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

I'm sure I saw a greenwood car that had what looked like to me a slightly modified 79 style rear bumper cover. I seem to remember it had 90% of the spoiler cut out of the center and he'd inserted a small alumimum plate with adjustable strut rods.

I found these pictures on their site, but it's not really what I remember, or what I'm looking for.

Someone could have a nice, but small, side business if they could make a decent looking rear bumper cover for the mid 70 cars.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Someone could have a nice, but small, side business if they could make a decent looking rear bumper cover for the mid 70 cars.
They do, its a one piece for 1974, looks just like you picture without the added fender flares

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do, its a one piece for 1974, looks just like you picture without the added fender flares
Any more info on it?

I've always thought it would be nice if someone made a rear bumper cover that looked like a 68-72 with no chrome bumperettes (or what ever they are called). Seems like a no brainer, and would look better than anything else around. The ZR1 style that is for sale is okay, but I'm not spending $300 for one.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Any more info on it?

I've always thought it would be nice if someone made a rear bumper cover that looked like a 68-72 with no chrome bumperettes (or what ever they are called). Seems like a no brainer, and would look better than anything else around. The ZR1 style that is for sale is okay, but I'm not spending $300 for one.

Check out one of the venders here, Mid America or Corvette America they both sell a Flex fit fiberglass one piece or two piece

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
'74 one piece flex installed on a '79 car with the factory pace car spoiler. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I've got that same Pace Car spoiler on my '77 and I love it.

When I get to bodywork and paint I'm going to have that spoiler bonded to a new fiberglass bumper, and have all the seams glassed.

It'll be a seamless rear end with the spoiler built in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I very much like that 74 1-piece it looks so much better than the original on my 78. I of course opted for something different altogether.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I very much like that 74 1-piece it looks so much better than the original on my 78. I of course opted for something different altogether.

That is the ZR1 rear bumper, right? Looks good on your car, don't think it will work for mine.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts

Did you use the '74 "corvette" letters on your rear cover???

I actually found the same one you have on Ebay a few years ago after seeing yours. Third brake light and all.:thumbsup: I was going to go with that ZR look on the rear and put a 80-82 style nose on it, with a high rise 82 hood... but decided to go the other way after more thought. I was afraid it would look to custom. Decided to go with custom that was less noticable. I was told your bumper with the third brake light molded in is no longer made.:huh: The ones out there now have no third brake light.

Ended up reselling my ZR bumper to someone out East. The more I looked at the car, the more I liked the factory 79 front and rear spoilers. Just hated the bumperettes. :down: The 74 bumper fits the shell of the car the same as the 75-82 cars. It just does not have the bumperettes and the tail lights mount directly to the factory bumper brackets instead of pinching the rear bumper cover between the lights and brackets. :thumbsup: Also had to unbolt the bumperette "supports" from the actual bumper.

On the front, I shaved the bumperettes off.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've got that same Pace Car spoiler on my '77 and I love it.

When I get to bodywork and paint I'm going to have that spoiler bonded to a new fiberglass bumper, and have all the seams glassed.

It'll be a seamless rear end with the spoiler built in.
I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out. I considered doing the same thing. I just couldn't picture how the front leading edge on the ends would blend to the car since they are nearly 3/8 thick. I agree it would look cool molded in though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you use the '74 "corvette" letters on your rear cover???
Nomactually i use 68-73 letters. The 74 letters are designed for the much more sloped face of the rear cap which didnt work. I actually bought the 74 letters first and found they wouldnt work for me so i sold them on e- bay and got the earlier version

I dont think anyone makes the third brakelight version anymore either. To be honest as much as i like the Zr cap ( which is alot ) I think I would prefer the 74 end cap. I do still get lots of compliments about the ZRcap

Bumperettes suck HATE , HATE, HATE, HATE

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bumperettes suck HATE , HATE, HATE, HATE
:thud:

I am no fan of them either but as long as im still stuck with mine I prefer we refer to them as anything more masculine "impact points" "Manly Nubs" "bumper buldges " or such.

bumperrette is just insult on top of injury.some of us are a ways out from removing them ..a little simpathy please . :smack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts