Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics I took last week of the '69. Just weeks away from reuniting the frame and body.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
:surprised I bet you can't wait. Looks great!:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Looks great.

Unless you have done this many times before..., don't forget to pull your doors out of storage and slap them back on when you put the body back on the frame. Adjust the doors and BODY mount/SHIMS to get everything to fit perfect before you lock and load. A lot of guys screw this part up and forever fight doors that won't align as the old body mounts were corroding away, and no longer apples to apples to new ones with the shim packs.

If you saved the old shims and counted them out at each point, that is an excellent start for your trial fit. Work from that point out, until your gaps at both ends of the doors are able to be equalized. Then you will have it made in the shade - Oh...and consider drilling a pilot hole in the door hinge at that point so you can line them exactly back up when it comes out of paint.

It is a pain in the butt. However, well worth the time so you don't end up fighting the alignment, etc, during the paint phase.

You are making excellent progress.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great.

Unless you have done this many times before..., don't forget to pull your doors out of storage and slap them back on when you put the body back on the frame. Adjust the doors and BODY mount/SHIMS to get everything to fit perfect before you lock and load. A lot of guys screw this part up and forever fight doors that won't align as the old body mounts were corroding away, and no longer apples to apples to new ones with the shim packs.

If you saved the old shims and counted them out at each point, that is an excellent start for your trial fit. Work from that point out, until your gaps at both ends of the doors are able to be equalized. Then you will have it made in the shade - Oh...and consider drilling a pilot hole in the door hinge at that point so you can line them exactly back up when it comes out of paint.

It is a pain in the butt. However, well worth the time so you don't end up fighting the alignment, etc, during the paint phase.

You are making excellent progress.
Thanks, that's great advice. No, I haven't done this many times before so your input is very much appreciated. I ended up replacing my frame along the way vs. trying to restore my old scaly one that "came with the car". I also replaced my original doors with '76 doors. Lastly, I had to perform rocker channel surgery on the body, so all the points of reference have changed from the original locations. Needless to say, alignment will be a "starting from scratch" exercise.

This is not my first project, but it is my first Corvette, so any additional advice I can get on making sure everything lines up properly is much appreciated. I know attention to detail is critical. I removed all the hardware from the doors, so they would be lighter and easier to work with during the alignment/fitting process. I still have a little more detailing in the engine compartment to do along with replacement of some of the underbody reinforcements (have them ready to go - just need to rivet them in). I wish I had a checklist of "make sure you do this" items before lowering the body back on. I think I have it all covered, but since this is my first Vette I'm nervous about missing a step.

Thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
221 Posts
What did you use on your frame, standard paint or POR-15? Just curious because I'm getting ready for the same project and have heard mixed reviews on POR-15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts