Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lawrence O'Donnell Discusses New MSNBC Show, 'The Last Word'

Today

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/27/lawrence-odonnell-viewer-_n_740229.html

Some viewers tuning into the first episode of Lawrence O'Donnell's new MSNBC show "The Last Word" Monday night might be forgiven for thinking: here we go again.

Another liberal host on MSNBC.

Asked how he will try to differentiate himself from the slate of left-leaning anchors who come before him, though, O'Donnell answered very simply: he won't.

"NBC has done very well with three 'Law and Orders,'" he said in an interview with the Huffington Post.
"Every new program has a pre-existing, comparable program.

A new thing gets done on television about once a decade."

Besides, he said, people who wring their hands about the opinionated slant of cable news are deluding themselves about the media landscape.

People talk about cable news "as if there is a viewer out there who wants to go to Fox News and hear several different opinions fairly presented on a single issue," he said.

"That viewer doesn't exist.
That viewer goes to Jim Lehrer ...

... to complain in some way about the way Fox programs its political talk, or the way MSNBC programs its political talk, is to pretend that there is no other discussion available on television."

(Read continues in Link)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I agree with this person. The slant - either way - is what it is. We all know where to go for the version of the news we want to hear - and where not to go. Where this guy might disagree with me is that I am absolutely certain that the three networks slanted left for 50 years before cable, but they felt a need to disguise it with gratuitous bits to please the right now and then. Some people like steak and some people like quiche. I'm a steak eater and an occasional FOX viewer. You quiche eaters can have MSNBC and all of the other cable news networks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts