Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I don't want to replace the spring just to replace it if I don't have to. If I measure the floor to fender height both sides are identical at 30.25-inches.

If you look at the spring.... the inserts between the bottom leaf ane the next one up kinda look like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does that mean it's starting to delaminate between the leaves?

I'm thinking of just replacing the spring bushings and the stut rod bushings and leaving the spring alone because the ride is really nice yet.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Ride height has nothing to due with the spring being "weak". that can all be adjusted by the trainling arm bolts at the ends of the spring (that is if no leafs are broke)

Thee real question is : does your exahust pipes slap the ground every time you ride over a woopty doo?

Don't really understand your comment on the anti squeek pads looking like a bunch of roof peaks. You have either a 7 leaf spring or a nine leaf spring and the 7 leaf spring is the stiffer of the two. If you have no cracked leafs you spring is probably OK after you change out the spring bolts and rubber bushings.

I myself like the fiberglass springs with gas shocks. Alot better ride that ANY steel leaf spring...Just my nickel worth:lookinup:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't really understand your comment on the anti squeek pads looking like a bunch of roof peaks. You have either a 7 leaf spring or a nine leaf spring and the 7 leaf spring is the stiffer of the two. If you have no cracked leafs you spring is probably OK after you change out the spring bolts and rubber bushings.QUOTE]

Picture worth a million words: Photo showinig the spring with the wheels off and hanging free.

So is that waffling anything to worry about?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Don't really understand your comment on the anti squeek pads looking like a bunch of roof peaks. You have either a 7 leaf spring or a nine leaf spring and the 7 leaf spring is the stiffer of the two. If you have no cracked leafs you spring is probably OK after you change out the spring bolts and rubber bushings.QUOTE]

Picture worth a million words: Photo showinig the spring with the wheels off and hanging free.

So is that waffling anything to worry about?
The wavy stuff between the steel plates??? Not unless its squeeking. If you're happy with the car height and the car ride, leave it alone. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
I agree.
That happened to mine because it was on a 2post lift for about a month and the suspension was hanging loose.. But as I drove it, it got flattened again.. now it looks like a normal sandwich.

If it isnt making a slapping noise or squeeking, leave it alone. It will settle.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
There is nothing in the stock steel spring to delaminate. The vinyl anti-squeak liners between the leaves might be showing their age.

Fiberglass springs could potentially delaminate.

Your pic doesn't open for me.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for you input. I'll just replace the bushings and leave the spring alone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When everything is in place, an the car is on the ground with all its weight on it, does the spring retain its curve, or does it flatten out. I understand it as "if its flat, it's time to replace it" I went with the fiberglass composite TRW spring with gas shocks. Great ride, and a weight savings too. I did mine before it let go. I told my nephew to do his, (1972) as it was flat, but of course what does an uncle know. His let loose in a gas station, an had to pay an expensive tow home. Food for thought.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When everything is in place, an the car is on the ground with all its weight on it, does the spring retain its curve, or does it flatten out. I understand it as "if its flat, it's time to replace it" I went with the fiberglass composite TRW spring with gas shocks. Great ride, and a weight savings too. I did mine before it let go. I told my nephew to do his, (1972) as it was flat, but of course what does an uncle know. His let loose in a gas station, an had to pay an expensive tow home. Food for thought.

The leaf spring still has a nice arc to it when on the ground and loaded. I see the bushings are totally smoked on it. So I've got some new ones on order along with some KYB GR-2 shocks. Also going to replace the strut rod bushings.

Kinda a while I'm at it deal.......:rolling:

Nice '71 you have!:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts