Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals, I'm starting to rebuild my rear suspension in a 72. After reading a few threads it seams like the Leaf spring is going to be a small problem. Do the new ones really raise the ride height? if so how do you get around this? Is there a trick to reinstalling a spring? It looks as if its going to be difficult to compress enough to mount to the TAs. I'm thankful for any advice or point me to a thread where this has been disscused.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm using a factory replacement not a mono.....(I forgot to mention that) Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm using a factory replacement not a mono.....(I forgot to mention that) Thanks!
rear springs are pretty easy on the difficulty level.

Before you get started tape measure the rear ride height at each wheel well

Jack the car with the rear tires hanging down.

place a floor jack next to the spring end bolt and remove the nut. Then do the other end.

Unbolt the spring at the center from the pumpkin.

Remove the spring and do the the reverse order for the new spring

Only put the nuts on the spring end bolts by a few threads.

put the car back on the ground and push down a few times to settle the spring. Measure the wheel well ride height.

adjust the spring end nuts to get the desidered ride height.

If your rear is way up from arched leaf springs you sometimes have to install longer end bolts:thumbsup:

I had to unbolt my rear most dual exhaust hangers for clearance to get the big old steel spring out.

·
Supporting Vendor
127 Posts
I would add that only snug the four spring bolts that go into the rear cover first. Torque the four bolts to spec with the full weight of the car on the ground or you may crack an ear of the rear cover.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I replaced my spring about 6 months ago. It was an easy job, just be careful wit the tension of the spring when lowering it. When I first installed the spring it was jacked up in the back but it eventuallly settled. I put 8 inch bolts in but I still fee that it is riding too high so I may get some 10" bolts. My floor to bottom of wheel opening is 27" which I believe is correct but I've gotten so used to the low rider with the old spring I was spoiled. (Except when I would bottom out over bumps)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great help here guys! This is why I love DC!

·
Registered
84 Posts
when I replaced my original 9 leaf spring with a 9 leaf after market spring I also had a higher ride hight problem. I had to add the Longer bolts but it didnt really make a big differance and also had clearence issues with the tires. The vett will never settle as a lot of people say. Most after market springs have all curved leafs the originals have 6 curved lower leafs and the top three are flat. I simply swapped the top 3 leafs with the 3 flat leafs from the factory spring and the stock ride height was acheived with the factory 6 inch bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts