Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 vette that had a mistery leak comming from the rear end after high speed runs in the middle of the night. It only leaked if I kept the car over 140mph for more than a few miles. The first chevy dealer tried to fix it twice and I took it to another for the same repair the third time. In the end it was a valve that was supposed to release pressure from the rear end at high speed. This whole mess cost over $2K. According the dealer this is a common problem, and when it fails, it blows seals in the rear and trans. This was the first dealer who failed to fix the problem who said that. He also said that this was not a problem in the c6 because chevy has fixed the issue, but all c5's have this problem. Now I'm affraid to enjoy the car and have it for sale. Is this a dealer giving excuses for failing to repair the problem or should I be searching for a c6?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Sell it and buy a C6.The car is going on 8 years old.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now I'm affraid to enjoy the car and have it for sale. Is this a dealer giving excuses for failing to repair the problem or should I be searching for a c6?

First - do not be afraid to enjoy the Vette.

Next - yes, there has been an issue with the rear - but not as dramatic, or major as the stealership makes out. The rear seal(s) have been found, in SOME cases, to leak (I believe there is a TMS on this (search here http://corvetteactioncenter.com/bulletin.html).

The blow by tube worked as designed in your case - releasing small amounts of gear oil that had reached specific temps during the high speed runs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts