Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 69 is leaking transmission fluid at a pretty good rate. I don't know much about cars, but I know I have a red liquid on my garage floor under the car, and have to add to the transmission fluid every other week.

I put it up on jack stands to look for something obvious underneath, and didn't find anything. I cleaned the area around (what I think is) the transmission, drove it 15 feet into the garage, and let it sit for a week, then drove it back onto the driveway and looked at the same area to see if there was one spot it was leaking from. Even though it hadn't really been driven, the same area was pretty coated again with the transmission fluid.

I looked through an Ecklers catalog to try to figure out if there is a seal or something that might be bad, to replace. They have a transmission converter cover, which looks like the piece that I have coated with fluid.

Does anyone know if that piece has a seal that goes bad after 35 years that might need replacing? Could the fluid be coming from anywhere else? If I were to replace that, is that complicated? It looks like just a handful of bolts holding it on (they are all tight), does anything else need to be touched? Would it be insane for me to replace it with the car on jack stands?

Or, should I just stick to writing programs and find a trustworthy mechanic to fix it?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would check the dipstick, replace the pan seal and transmission filter. You might also want to check if the lines to and from the radiator are in good condition and are tightend on the tranny, since yours is an auto

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lefty said:
They have a transmission converter cover, which looks like the piece that I have coated with fluid.

Does anyone know if that piece has a seal that goes bad after 35 years that might need replacing? should I just stick to writing programs and find a trustworthy mechanic to fix it?
The convertor cover protects the flywheel from damage...if that is all wet with tranny fluid the front seal might be leaking or your torque convertor is (I doubt its the convertor) I wouldnt waste $ buying that cover cause its definetly not the problem! It also could be the tranny pan is leaking & fluid is getting blown everywhere? If you are not good with cars bring it to someone who is on this...I am good with cars & it took me 2 tries to replace my pan gasket (leaked after first try).:( Good luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
749 Posts
i sure hope you've been checking the tranny fluid levels while the car is running....right????? if not, you might be over filling!!!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Take it from an expert....
Go to a dealer or a good shop and get your oil changed. Not an oil change chain but a real SHOP
I'm serious, It's the slow time of year They will look your car over pretty good in hopes of selling you more work.
A good shop will show you where the problem is while the car is in the air

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks!

The part about checking the fluid with the car running was something I hadn't realized until a few weeks ago, I kept checking it with the engine off, and it looked fine, so I assumed it had been over-filled. Once I learned that the engine should be running and run through the gears once or twice, I realized it was 3 quarts low!

As far as the transmission pan and filter...Where are these? What should I do, just replace them and see if everything is better? Is this relatively simple, or do I need to take the engine apart? What should I check on the dipstick?

I don't know any places (including the dealers) that I know I can trust. If I had a 1990 Cavalier, I wouldn't care, but I think a lot of the guys at shops have more experience and knowledge about the newer cars than classics. Plus it would be nice to learn more about the car.

I also have this paranoia about dropping it off for a while, then coming back to find the car is gone, or pieces missing - this actually happened to my mother who owned the car prior, she was having some work done, and the carrberateur 'disappeared'.

I talked to some folks at one of the local vette clubs about repair recommendations, and those that didn't do their own work had this one guy work on theirs. Again, I have trust issues, and think I would have little recourse if something went horribly awry.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>> Sounds like somebody needs a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual

Actually, I have one of them, and the 69 Chevy chasis manual. Unfortunately, they left out some pictures/diagrams! Sure, they say pull piece A from piece B, being careful not to touch piece C, but I have no clue what any of those pieces look like! :huh: Or where they are.

·
Registered
749 Posts
changing the filter is a messy job, and you might not want to tackle it. most transmission places will do it. but, if you decide to have a place change the filter, stay there with the car, and tell them they are just to change the filter and that's all!! also, ask them to see if there are any leaks while the car is up on a lift. don't tell them you already suspect it's leaking...just see what they find. if they say it's a simple fix...go for it. if they say it's something major, tell them to leave it until you know what you want to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts