Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is a brand new fuel line for my 4bbl Holley Carb. When I hook it up it leaks behind the bolts... leak is an understatement, more like sprays.

Anyway, it seems like there's a lot of travel from the line and the bolt, which is where my leak is coming from. As you can see, B, there's A LOT of play on the bolt over the line. Is this normal?

How do I stop this leak?

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The tubes in the picture are flared for SAE inverted flare cone seats. Is that what you have in the carb? Also, you don't need teflon tape on the threads as they don't seal (unlike pipe threads).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, looks like I'll try some different fittings. I'll come back with some results later today. :)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've purchased 4 different fuel lines for both Holley and Demon carbs that leak. All at the nuts that go into the carb. EIther the flares are incorrect, the mating surface on the nut is bad (not the correct flare) or a crack in the brand new line. I gave up and fabricated a new line from a piece of 3/8 brake tubing. Even a new stainless line had leaks in the same place. You're not alone on this one.

:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Made mine from 3/8 line and a T-block from the local Kragens. It's all hard line up to the fuel pump.
You'll need a 3/8 tubing bender, a tube cutter, and flaring tool for double flares. Never had a problem with leaks:thumbsup:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I used some teflon thread compound on my Holley fuel rail and I havent lost a drop. They say not to use the tape because a piece can become dislodged and become lodged in the carb.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've purchased 4 different fuel lines for both Holley and Demon carbs that leak. All at the nuts that go into the carb. EIther the flares are incorrect, the mating surface on the nut is bad (not the correct flare) or a crack in the brand new line. I gave up and fabricated a new line from a piece of 3/8 brake tubing. Even a new stainless line had leaks in the same place. You're not alone on this one.

:cheers:
Call up a nascar wholesaler and get one used. Mine doesn't leak at all.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Hard line is best and Lars has/had a fantastic paper on doing it a few years ago. I have used the braided lines from Summit and Jegs with AN fittings and they have also worked well.
The steel line pictured above is the way to go, nice job:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts