Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long post but it would benifit you or anyone you know who is selling a car. Just thought I would let everyone who may be selling a car know of some dangers. I recently placed my Wrangler on an internet Jeep classified site, I got a reply from a guy who said he was interested. he told me that he was a dealer overseas and that he had a customer who was looking for my exact type of jeep. He wanted to send me a cashiers check and have someone pick up the jeep.

The first thing that he told me was that the check was for 10,000(not the 5600 that we agreed on for the sale) because he had to have the check drawn from his wages from his business in the states and he wanted me to send him a western union for the rest. no problem I said to myself so I deposited the check into my bank.

He sent me some email right after I had made the deposit and said that he wanted me to get the jeep ready that day for shipping, thankfully the 2 brain cells I have left stopped fighting long enough to think that this was a bad idea and told him that it would have to wait for the check to clear which my bank said would take five days. He was not all to happy with this and said that his buyer wanted the jeep now and he wanted me to ship it before the check cleared.

This made me a little nervous and I thought Hey why would you not want to wait five more days for something that you have waited this long for?

after a few more days he sent me another email asking what was going on with the check, so I finally had one of those moments of total smarts and told him that the bank was having trouble, and could I get his name and address for the bank to check it out. well he sent back a message saying that I should get the check back from the bank and go to a money tree(a check cashing place for those of you who may not know what that is) and cash the check and send him the rest.

SO I sent him a message saying that my credit union had sent the check to virginia to be processed and that they would not give it back to me and that he needed to send that information....Well that was the last I heard from him and that was a week and a half ago. SO I guess that he didnt want his 10,000 that much HUH?

So anyway take this into account when selling a car or get this out to your friends who are selling a car so that you will not have any problems and be smart when you think that things still look fine. I made it out without losing anything except some time and a few buyers who I told the jeep was already sold, so I got lucky.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow Glad you didnt fall for that 1. Some people are really crooked. Good luck with selling that beast.
:thumbsup:

BTW If that check clears could you spot me like 1k? J/k:laughing:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,567 Posts
Good info. Glad you didn't get burned. I've read a lot about this scam lately.

So I'll tell you what. Send me the Jeep and a check for $8000. After the jeep arrives and I like it, I'll cash your check and keep the jeep. Oh, in exchange, I'll send you a Christmas card.:laughing:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:

:agree: Same kind of thing happened to my neighbor selling his VW online.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torch Red 2K said:

So I'll tell you what. Send me the Jeep and a check for $8000. After the jeep arrives and I like it, I'll cash your check and keep the jeep. Oh, in exchange, I'll send you a Christmas card.:laughing:
:D this must be my lucky day....yaaaaa:stick:

·
Registered
10 Posts
No money, no Jeepy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No matter what the "guise" of the scam, whenever anyone whom you do not know, places you in a position of "trust", such that you can take advantage of them financially, they are about to try to get to YOU!!!

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
<ET> said:
No matter what the "guise" of the scam, whenever anyone whom you do not know, places you in a position of "trust", such that you can take advantage of them financially, they are about to try to get to YOU!!!
:agree:

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
alleydude said:
Sadly, for every one of you that's smart enough to not get swindled, there are dozens out there that blindly do as they are asked.

:huh:
Yep. I read a cool article on CNN where they interviewed an e-bay scammer. He said, when it came down to it, the "good" people who want to extend "trust" to their fellow man, are the one's that get screwed over time and time again by scammers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had that same thing happen when I tried selling my drums online. I got the same scam email from two different people. I didn't sell to either one because it just didn't sound right to me! I ended up selling to a local guy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alleydude said:
Sadly, for every one of you that's smart enough to not get swindled, there are dozens out there that blindly do as they are asked.

:huh:
Very true. So how can people like me catch these sick bastards? I guess that's a good ? for the biglawman...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I put two different motorcycles for sale on a few websites this summer. I sold the Maxum but still have the Vmax. I recieved the same type of emails that you did. They said they were from Europe or African country's. Why would someone from that far away want my motorcycle. They dont have motorcycles over there? It just didnt sound right. I replied back asking those question's. I never recieved any response.

I wouldnt be surprised if the scammer is from right here in the good ole USA.

T

·
0 Posts
Was it a guy named Umgumbi Chingawa? The brother of the first cousin of the recently assasinated Minister of Propaganda in Nigeria ??

I thought I was the only one that got those e-mails... hehehe...

·
Registered
17 Posts
:agree: I had heard about this scam last summer when I was selling my motorcycle. Not only do people do this scam (where they send you more money than you asked for, and want cash back plus the vehicle) but apparently also "buyers" are also buying vehicles with bank checks or cashier checks (for the correct amount) that are counterfeit.

So, here you go, selling someone your cherry 1993 Corvette with only 5K miles for $25,000 and they bring you a check from Bank of America for $25,000 and you deposit it in your First Bank of Western Honesty; they don't know what a BOA check looks like, so they accept it. Five days later, they call and tell you that the check was not honored. The car? The car is in Kansas. It's had the VIN changed and been retitled and is on eBay.

So, when I sold the bike, I had the guy fax me a copy of the check first. Then I called the issuing bank and verified that it was OK (it was). He drove down the next day, picked up the bike, and we were all very happy. It was a bit of a pain for both of us, but unfortunately, that's what you've gotta do these days.

Speaking of eBay, I've dealt with numerous people on that, and I've always been treated well. I've also bought and sold stuff from people that I met only through resources like this, and been treated fairly well (one set of wheels that I bought that I wish I hadn't). So, I think, generally, most people are honest and will treat you fairly. Use your common sense like the StangSlayer did.

Michael :buhbye:

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
This is actually a very common occurance. Since my 91 has been up for sale I have had 6 of these types of emails. I have sent every one to the Secret Service. Basically if you want to know if they are serious tell them that you want a wire transfer of the money. They never write back..hmm imagine that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What ever happened with the check, did it not clear? did you send back the money?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by MVR 155 ...<br>
What ever happened with the check, did it not clear? did you send back the money?<br>
Check got sent back from the bank saying it was a fraud, never sent him the jeep or any money. I was however, charged a $15 returned check fee by my bank. I guess that was better than losing $4500 and a jeep. I'll take that hit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
StangSlayer...."SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!

Man oh man, I can't believe this. I got a cashiers check from Africa for my 92 Ford Explorer. The same type deal happened. When I received the check I deposited it into my checking account and asked when it would clear, they told me 7 days.

Well when I got home I had an e-mail waiting as if they knew I deposited the check?? It said that they wanted me to send the money that was left after taking out the money for the Explorer and Western Union it out to them. I told them that I would not before I got comfirmation that the check cleared.

Same as with you the guy was pissed but I really didn't give a sweet S*#t!! :partyon: I got two e-mails from him and then when I got a call from my bank telling me that the "cashiers check" that was actually drawn on a "real" banks name in Virginia was counterfit and was sent back to the bank. I had that feeling when the whole thing started that something wasn't right.

First if there was this guy with so much money to buy a truck from simple ole me in the US when he was in Africa and couldn't buy one over there or maybe buy one for the amount of the money order, it just seemed weird. And especially the way he wanted that money sent Western Union right away made me wonder too.

I'm happy you didn't fall for the scam as well as myself.

The one question I have for ya though is what happened to the check that was at your bank for deposit......did they get it back as being no good????

I was so suprised that someone else had the same thing happen to them. Well hopefully you will all get to know me and me you in the future. Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts