Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I'm sure there's probably a thread on here addressing this topic, but I'm unable to find it.
We started talking about this on another thread on a side-note, but I thought I'd start one just deticated to Batteries.

There's apparently a lot of opinions on which type, brand, reserve power, CCA, etc. to buy so I was hoping to get everyones feedback and thoughts. One of my concerns as well as everything I listed is a sealed battery versus a vented battery. Reason is knowing my CPU is mounted directly below the battery tray and don't want acid leaking into it as well as my wiring harness.

Is a vented battery better than a sealed battery? Should I buy a battery that is allowed to vent to reduce the risk of explosion?
Is an Optima as good as I've heard? What about AC Delco Professional? Braille? Interstate?
Does a gel type affect your systems differently than a conventoinal battery? I know additional electronics call for higher CCA, reserve power, etc. but I was just wanting everyones thoughts here.

Thanks!:D

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
sealed batteries:
- no chance of acid spill, which our fiberglass/plastic really doesnt like

Gel:
- can be mounted any position, and is more durable

CCA:
- the colder it gets, the more important CCA is. If you live in mainly warm areas, CCA is less important.

Cranking Amps (not CCA):
- you car will only need so many cranking amps to start reliably, anything over is excess really

Reserve Capacity:
- determines how long your car will function without it running basically

*feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, gotta migraine and my brain isnt working too well.

My opinions on some of the brands:
Optima
- I have had 3 Optima Red Top batteries boil over in 2 different cars, my '91 Z-28 and my '00 Vette. I will not get another one
Interstate
- Have yet to know anyone who has had problems with their batteries, but they are HEAVY
Braille
- one of their lightweight batteries will be my next battery purchase. Not overly concerned with CCA, given it doesnt get that cold where I am

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sealed batteries:
- no chance of acid spill, which our fiberglass/plastic really doesnt like

Gel:
- can be mounted any position, and is more durable

CCA:
- the colder it gets, the more important CCA is. If you live in mainly warm areas, CCA is less important.

Cranking Amps (not CCA):
- you car will only need so many cranking amps to start reliably, anything over is excess really

Reserve Capacity:
- determines how long your car will function without it running basically

*feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, gotta migraine and my brain isnt working too well.

My opinions on some of the brands:
Optima
- I have had 3 Optima Red Top batteries boil over in 2 different cars, my '91 Z-28 and my '00 Vette. I will not get another one
Interstate
- Have yet to know anyone who has had problems with their batteries, but they are HEAVY
Braille
- one of their lightweight batteries will be my next battery purchase. Not overly concerned with CCA, given it doesnt get that cold where I am
With regards to your Optima Red Tops "Boiling over", what exactly happened? Did they swell up and/or leak? Split? Explode? That's one of my concerns. A GM tech once told me having a completely sealed battery could be a bad thing if the battery fails or an electrical systems voltage regulator fails causing voltage outputs higher than 14+ volts. The battery is unable to vent. That's why they "supposedly" don't make sealed batteries anymore.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
the little grey round vents on top.....and no, it was not being over charged. 13.2vdc - 13.6vdc at the battery with it running....on both vehicles and all 3 batteries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts