Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a lexan targa top from a 93 corvette for sale. Its an original gm top, weather stripping appears to be in good shape etc. the UV coat is shot, and would need to be refinished somehow. First with the top in this condition is 100 a fair price to pay? Can it be refinished? if so would i be able to do it myself? It would be far from my first time working on a car, but first time doing something like this. (i have restored headlights though if that counts for anything) let me know asap as i dont wanna wait to long on this potential deal. thanks jay.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
A non cracked top with good weatherstrip is well worth $100. As to fixing that I'm not sure. You could always try to clearcoat it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A non cracked top for $100 is a hell of a deal. The top can be polished with any number of products used to polish plastic or paint.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea after doing some more research i saw it was a pretty good price, i bought it and wetsanded and polished it. The only problem i ran into is not all the clear coat would come off, then with it off its still not crystal clear but much better then it was before! I think i might not have been using a strong enough grit paper as i was afraid to do to much damage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Keep in mind that scratches from using coarser grits can be resolved by using finer grits. You certainly wouldn't want to use 80 grit. You may also want to see if you can find a wet sand paper that can be attached to a power sander. A buffer would also help with the final polishing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i used 800 grit wet sand, followed by 1000 wet sand then with a medium cut polish all done with a power tool. Do you think that was too subtle? or should i try a little more aggressive?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Make your decision based on the finish you get. 800 should cut pretty well for you and would probably be the coarsest I would go. You might however add a couple more finer courses. which should pretty much eliminate any scratches and allow your to buff it with a polishing or scratch removal compound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts