Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all doing my 2nd mod on my 2006 C6 MN6 Vert. I am tossed up between the Kooks and Lg Long tubes. I have read many posts on this subject and it seems that both headers are pretty close to being equal. I have Corsa Sport cat back exhaust with no X pipe. My main question is this.. If I go with high flow cats and headers how much louder will it make the car? How much louder with out cats? When I install the headers will I throw codes with high flow cats? With out cats? HP gains with Cats and with out? Thanks for everyones help!!! :partyon:

·
Registered
145 Posts
i put an LG on my car w/ no cats. now a days high flow cats r almost as good as no cats they gots a real good flow. ur gonna gain a lil hp of course due 2 enlarging the dia of the header. u must get a tune 2 max the hp gain, i got mine fr jim hall halltech performance......great tuner. oh tune also so no codes pop up. u can set tune to stock also in future 4 n e reason.

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
i know LGs are true LTs with 32inch primarys, they are only available in 1 3/4 flange where you can get kooks as 1 7/8. dose that make a differance? im sure the poster is after max power so which will deliver maximum power?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with Dynotech & high flow cats and GHL's out the back. It was a very easy installation and came with all top quality gaskets. I put it up on jack stands and had it done in 6 hours including a Honker CAI.
I noticed a nice improvement, but after the tune & ported tb it really woke up.

390rwph, 385tq

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i put an LG on my car w/ no cats. now a days high flow cats r almost as good as no cats they gots a real good flow. ur gonna gain a lil hp of course due 2 enlarging the dia of the header. u must get a tune 2 max the hp gain, i got mine fr jim hall halltech performance......great tuner. oh tune also so no codes pop up. u can set tune to stock also in future 4 n e reason.
How loud is the car with no cats? That is the only thing I am worried about. I just moved to Ky from Fl 1 month ago and we have no emissions testing here so I am good to go there. I was going to get Jeremy Formato to tune the car before I left however I did not make it to see him, I may have to go with a mail order tune with LG Motorsports or someone similar. Are these types of tunes ok?

·
Banned
622 Posts
bump

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kook's Headers with High Flow Cats

I'm just ordered the 1 7/8" Kook's headers with the 3" x 2 1/2" X-Crossover, and high flow cats. T Byrne is running a sale on them right now and most of the folks I have chatted with here are happy with theirs. I understand that LG also makes a good set of pipes. So I expect either with do about as well as the other. I understand from other forums that there may be a smell associated with not running high flow cats, but I have no first hand knowledge here. I will post more information as I enter the installation phase of my project. Carolina Auto Masters will be doing the installation and tune.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm just ordered the 1 7/8" Kook's headers with the 3" x 2 1/2" X-Crossover, and high flow cats. T Byrne is running a sale on them right now and most of the folks I have chatted with here are happy with theirs. I understand that LG also makes a good set of pipes. So I expect either with do about as well as the other. I understand from other forums that there may be a smell associated with not running high flow cats, but I have no first hand knowledge here. I will post more information as I enter the installation phase of my project. Carolina Auto Masters will be doing the installation and tune.
You may have been better off with 1 3/4" rather than 1 7/8". With that large of a header you are going to loose some low-end torque.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i read somewhere where they did a test between no cats and high flow cats and i think it was liek a .6 rwhp difference. I dont remember what thread it was. hmm...

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I would recommend LGs and Cats. Use a quality installer if you are not familiar with slip fit headers.

If you do not plan to mod your motor, go with the best deal they will all be close. If you drag only that is Kooks focus, If you Road Race or for general use with a modded car the LGs have been proven by people I trust to produce the most power and torque in the LS2.

:cheers:

·
Registered
337 Posts
LT's(any brand) and Corsa "Sports" without cats WILL BE LOUD ! !..But that's the way I like em, do you want loud ?

·
Caution: Car melts in Rain
4,151 Posts
yea the thread is on here, some one did back to back dynos with 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 compared the graphs and the 1 7/8 was higher at all rpms, not much but it wasnt lower

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would recommend LGs and Cats. Use a quality installer if you are not familiar with slip fit headers.

If you do not plan to mod your motor, go with the best deal they will all be close. If you drag only that is Kooks focus, If you Road Race or for general use with a modded car the LGs have been proven by people I trust to produce the most power and torque in the LS2.

:cheers:
I am going to change the heads and cam in the near future, so you think the LG's are the best bet? Wish I could hear the car both ways with and with out cats. Does any one have a clip? What about a mail order tune is that ok? Fort Wayne is not to far from here and I hear Dyno Tech Engineering does a pretty good job tuning so I could drive up there. Feed Back Please!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may have been better off with 1 3/4" rather than 1 7/8". With that large of a header you are going to loose some low-end torque.
You might have a point but I seem to remember seeing there was no noticable difference in performance.

Here's a quote from the Maryland Speed website concerning Header Size:
Which Header Size Should you Choose?
The 1 3/4" headers work are great for all but the most extreme applications. Unless you have nitrous, a supercharger or extreme internal engine work, you may actually see a decrease in performance with the 1 7/8" header due to lack of back pressure. Also please note that a professional tune is recommended to help your engine fully make use of the headers.

I read on T Bryne that the 1 7/8 Primaries are designed for Corvettes with aftermarket camshafts and heads.

I'm seriously considering Nitrous Oxide or a Supercharger in the future, so I do not want to have to buy new headers if I choose to go this route. I did not want to limit myself with 1 3/4" headers not knowing much about engines. They were only about $10 more expensive. So I went for the 1 7/8" right or wrong.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I have 1 7/8 tubes because the amount of back pressure loss is usually after the collector in a full exhaust car and MAINLY because one day I will put a cam in the car . . .

Another on this site has the same set up & tune as mine and his tubes are 1 3/4 and we always are within about 2 rwhp of each other. I wouldn't lose a second of time in worrying about the issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts