Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left-coast and European bureaucrats are grabbing incandescents

The cost of illuminating your home is about to go up significantly. Most Americans take for granted that when they flip a switch, darkness immediately gives way to a warm, natural light. That's no longer possible in California, where a regulation that took effect Jan. 1 only allows the sale of harsh, cold compact fluorescents above a certain wattage. Unless the new Congress takes action, the same rules will apply to the rest of the country, beginning next year.

The prohibition on buying real light bulbs follows from the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, signed into law by then-President George W. Bush. The measure gave bureaucratic zealots in the Golden State permission to embark on their confiscatory policy a year early. Of course, in true Orwellian fashion, the California Energy Commission strongly denies it's doing anything to prohibit consumers from buying the type of bulbs they prefer. "You can still buy any type of light bulb you like, the only difference is that the new bulbs will use less energy and cost less money to operate," the commission's website explains. Left unsaid is that it's a crime to sell newly manufactured cheap bulbs that produce a pleasing, natural light of 100 watts or more.

With more than a century to perfect Thomas Edison's great invention, manufacturers sell the brilliant 60-watt bulb for as little as 29 cents. The less-effective squiggly versions run $2 to $5 each, with prices for higher wattages and three-way configurations sometimes exceeding $10 each.

Congressional busybodies don't care about the impact on consumers. They want to be just like the Europeans who began bulb banning in 2009. The final phase will be complete in September after the popular 60-watt incandescent is declared contraband. As London's Daily Mail reported, this marketplace manipulation will bring a predictable outcome: The cost of government-mandated compact fluorescent fixtures is about to triple. Absent competition from traditional lighting, manufacturers won't need to discount the deadly, mercury-filled substitutes in order to attract buyers. Companies will no longer receive credit from Brussels for subsidizing the cost of the bulbs. As a result, their price will rise.

The European carbon-dioxide offset rules are so absurd that many firms last year mailed fluorescent light bulbs to customers who didn't necessarily want them simply to meet "energy saving" targets. On Nov. 27, the energy company Npower dropped 12 million squiggly light bulbs in the post to British customers, saving the firm from a potential $62 million fine.

It didn't matter that no proof existed that the bulbs were ever actually used. Turning on a dim, harsh fluorescent light demonstrates "concern" for the environment. Forcing everyone to do the same shows an even higher degree of purported enlightenment on the part of lawmakers. Consumers are forced to pay this price as a "carbon" offering to Mother Earth in the hopes that she will favor us with colder weather. We can expect much of the absurdity across the Atlantic to happen here, unless this Congress returns to Americans the freedom to choose a real light bulb.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jan/5/light-bulb-banning-begins/

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I can see it now.

A seedy gentleman standing behind a primed 80's Ford van parked in an alley.

"what choo need, man? I got uzi's, I got crack, I got light bulbs man, good bulbs not that flourcent ****"

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Don't know how it is now but when I live in LA they had regular "Rolling Brownouts" because there was not enough power to go around.

depending on what part of LA you lived in you could not always depend on the lights coming on when you flipped the switch:huh:

I live in a 70s All Electric home. Switching to Phillips Fluorescents was expensive but saved enough electricity to be noticeable on the bill. I have a mixture now. I like incandescent light in some areas and where I use dimmers.

:cheers:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Yea, I switched to 99% CFL's in my home after I bought it in '06. I noticed the difference in my bill, and I have only replaced 2 in the last 5 years....and 1 was because it was dropped before I put it in so it didnt last very long lol. The only incandescent light bulbs I still have are above the sink in the master bathroom (no designer CFL's yet, and the pot light above the shower- neither of which are used a lot....and a desk lamp that doesnt like CFL's.

Also note that there is a difference in brands- some brands have higher Lumens (the measure of light output) than others.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
I use CFL bulbs by choice.. which is how it should be.

But, I guess it goes well with Bon's green lifestyle..

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
This will give the Sierra Club something to bitch and moan about in 5 years after they trace the abnormally high mercury content in landfills leaching into the water supply to the improperly disposed of new CFL bulbs.

Oh, I forgot in 5 years global warming will have done us in...no problem.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
This will give the Sierra Club something to bitch and moan about in 5 years after they trace the abnormally high mercury content in landfills leaching into the water supply to the improperly disposed of new CFL bulbs.

Oh, I forgot in 5 years global warming will have done us in...no problem.
Wait, I thought 2010 was the cutoff date for GW? :huh: You know, when the sea levels made San Antonio oceanfront, and downsized Florida by 1/3.. :laughing:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Wait, I thought 2010 was the cutoff date for GW? :huh: You know, when the sea levels made San Antonio oceanfront, and downsized Florida by 1/3.. :laughing:
:thumbsup:
My building is on the Gulf in Florida, was 20 years ago, still have the same amount of beach out front, and I'm still here...high and dry. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I have some CF bulbs here at home because I consider the savings worthwhile and I am extremely careful to recycle any bulbs that go out. The average clod who would be forced to use them because they had no alternative would just chuck them in the waste basket. Of course, this has been going on with traditional fluorescents in commercial buildings for years. I tossed some trash into the compactor at work last year and heard a loud crash, followed by a strange cloud rising from the machine. I immediately recognized it and bailed out of the room quickly, shutting the door behind me. About 50 four foot fluorescents were under the cardboard at the top of the pile. Thankfully the compactor was in an unconditioned area with no return air to our building. A few hundred employees with mercury poisoning would have sucked...

Being a government building, HAZMAT showed up after I blasted the maintenance supervisor.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I use CFL bulbs by choice.. which is how it should be.

But, I guess it goes well with Bon's green lifestyle..
:thumbsup:Key words above "by Choice" and thats the way it should be. I can't believe they want control over the light bubs we buy:thud: The "Green" **** the goverment is pushing is getting old.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of years back... I was on a large job that was "going green" and was in search of LEED credits, half way through the build. The electrician had already purchased 300 incandescent bulbs of differing wattage... I bought them all for $50 bucks. I'm good for the next 15 years... or until they recall the law due to the exposure damage from the mercury -that will surely be a point of contention to society, in the future.

PS... there is no real cost effectiveness to these bulbs... when you price in the cost of purchase.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I started using the flourescents in my new house, i would brb a box without thinking. then i read the package. ALL of the ones i could find were made in china. and i wont buy anything made there on purpose. the least i can do is try tokeep a fellow american working. thus keeping him off the welfare rolls

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
PS... there is no real cost effectiveness to these bulbs... when you price in the cost of purchase.

:agree: And just for fun...California annouces, glow sticks to replace candles for obvious reasons by 2015:laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****.... now I have to out and find a deal on candles... as my wife is apparently addicted to them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The local Lowes has multipacks that are cheap-18 60W equivalent bulbs for $24. Granted, not as cheap as 3 or 4 bulbs for a dollar or two, but when you consider that, at least in my case, they last much, much longer-5 or more years versus a few months-it seems like a good deal to me, especially since my power bill went down, too.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The local Lowes has multipacks that are cheap-18 60W equivalent bulbs for $24. Granted, not as cheap as 3 or 4 bulbs for a dollar or two, but when you consider that, at least in my case, they last much, much longer-5 or more years versus a few months-it seems like a good deal to me, especially since my power bill went down, too.
Yes, you notice a difference on the power bill, and I don't have to buy many a year. I think the larger households could really see a difference over the course of a year. I can run 4 of these for every one of the incandescent 60 watt, when your getting 4:1 return, it's hard to go wrong.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yeah, Well just look at this store !

Such Waste !

The light in here is nearly Blinding for Christ's Sake !

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I chuckle every time I think about all of the angst over the miniscule amount of mercury in the ever dwindling number of amalgam dental fillings and we are about to spread mercury allover our houses and environment as hundreds of millions of these bulbs are broken and thrown away. We as a country are so idiotic when we assign risk in our lives.:crazy:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
These bulbs do not last 5 years, they last at best 2000 cycles (on-off switching) and can't be used with dimmers: it's the ON-OFF that kills them, a dimmer is constant ON-OFF'ing.

Given 365 days a year, 2000 cycles equates to 5.4 years. However my light bulbs are cycled more than once a day, so they never last 5 years in my house.

you can expect from a regular bulb around 20 lumens per WATT, whereas a low consumption thing produces around 80 lumens per WATT.

So for the same light production, you're looking at 25W consumption versus 100W.

So assuming a consumption of 1000 hours, at cost of electricity in NYC (19 cents per kWh), a 100W light bulb would cost you 20.00$ where as a 25W light bulb would cost you 5.00$

(http://www.eia.doe.gov/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html)

I took a 1000 hours because it is the average life span of an incandescent light bulb - from what I've read.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts