Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My mates brother in law owns a honda interga type_r (he said it got some race engine in it im guessing its spoon or maybe just heavily modded type_r) but anywayz my car is stock wat do i need to do to bring it to around 400 to 500RWHP? my vette is 88. (the type_r should be around MAX 11sec 1/4 but i wanna blow it out of the water so what do i need to do?)

Money isnt a problem i got around $6,000 -> $8,000. Should i go for stroke 393 (dont wanna go bigger cuz insurance will be too much) and add a blower or should i do n/a tune?

The car can take Stock HSV (which are 250kw i think pull around 13 second 1/4mile)

Im not just racing to beat him, i racing to prove that v8 are as good or better than jap cars my mate and all his friend think that cuz it has an 8 in it, it is poopie house which really pisses me off cuz i dont like jap car that much but i will say that some can pull some wicket power.
By the way when i race i will tape it and show u guyz the out come
Thanks!

(this is also post on corvettefourm.com)

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Soulja_350 said:
Hey,
My mates brother in law owns a honda interga type_r (he said it got some race engine in it im guessing its spoon or maybe just heavily modded type_r) but anywayz my car is stock wat do i need to do to bring it to around 400 to 500RWHP? my vette is 88. (the type_r should be around MAX 11sec 1/4 but i wanna blow it out of the water so what do i need to do?)

Money isnt a problem i got around $6,000 -> $8,000. Should i go for stroke 393 (dont wanna go bigger cuz insurance will be too much) and add a blower or should i do n/a tune?

The car can take Stock HSV (which are 250kw i think pull around 13 second 1/4mile)

Im not just racing to beat him, i racing to prove that v8 are as good or better than jap cars my mate and all his friend think that cuz it has an 8 in it, it is poopie house which really pisses me off cuz i dont like jap car that much but i will say that some can pull some wicket power.
By the way when i race i will tape it and show u guyz the out come
Thanks!

(this is also post on corvettefourm.com)

Hmm. I say don't spend a dime. I really doubt that "type-r" is pulling 11's since they are a 15-16 second car out of the box. Aren't type-r motors like 130 HP stock? Wahoo.. .that's 90hp at the wheels.

I say you race him now, and see where you are at. If you lose, and if it is that important to you, then get Nitrous and call it a day.

If you beat him, you saved $6000-8000. Of which I will take my 20% commission.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess everyone is missing the point, i dont want to spend 8k just to beat the type_r my plan is to build a show/race vette (as in australia there arnt too many vette around and like no race/show 1's)

I have been looking on the net and found that ATI supercharge looks like my best bet for HP gain. but what do i need to do before i install the ATI and im looking for max HP gain so should i go for the D-1 system?

Thanks

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Soulja_350 said:
i guess everyone is missing the point, i dont want to spend 8k just to beat the type_r my plan is to build a show/race vette (as in australia there arnt too many vette around and like no race/show 1's)

I have been looking on the net and found that ATI supercharge looks like my best bet for HP gain. but what do i need to do before i install the ATI and im looking for max HP gain so should i go for the D-1 system?

Thanks
Oh.......... gotcha. Every mod has it's pro's and con's , of course. If your motor is solid, a supercharger is a great way to go.
Unlike Nitrous, the SC power is always there under your foot. Of course, a stroker motor (383, 396) is an excellent way to go as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick96LT4 said:
Oh.......... gotcha. Every mod has it's pro's and con's , of course. If your motor is solid, a supercharger is a great way to go.
Unlike Nitrous, the SC power is always there under your foot. Of course, a stroker motor (383, 396) is an excellent way to go as well.
Umm would a 396 with SC be a good idea? or am i looking at alot of money as i only have a price range of around 6k -> 8k

If i just go for the ATI SC what will have to do to get the 350 ready and the rest of the car? thanks

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Soulja_350 said:
Umm would a 396 with SC be a good idea? or am i looking at alot of money as i only have a price range of around 6k -> 8k

If i just go for the ATI SC what will have to do to get the 350 ready and the rest of the car? thanks
A 396 with a mild cam and SC would be a great combo. If you are doing the work yourself, I don't think you'll fit that under your budget.

For instance, a full 383 build + parts will run you about $10,000 for a speed-shop to do it. The SC is around $2000-$3000 but add another $2000 to install it.

Are you doing the work yourself? What kind of condition is your motor in now?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think se could do with a tune (head,cam ect) I dont know too much about cars my old man knows abit and his best mate use to work on alot of v8 back in his day so im sure he could help me, do u think it would be possable to install the SC ourselfs?

ProCharger D-1 H.O. Supercharger Kit w/2-Core Intercooler for 85-91 Chevy Corvette TPI (10+ psi/ Polished)
Our Price: $4,049.00

Is this a good deal should i go for something like this?

P.s its 1am so im off to bed will im sleeping be sure to post alot of information for me to read when i get up hehe thanks later

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I would recommend rebuilding the motor, if it's in your budget. A 383 would be sweet with a supercharger.

Figure on a compression ratio of 8.5 or 9 to 1, a cam designed for a supercharged motor, and you should be able to boost the hell out of it. I would recommend talking to a local performance shop or the camshaft manufacturer for cam selection since this is their area of expertice.

One thing to pay attention to are the components. A nice, all forged, stroker kit would improve the life of your motor under lots of boost. :D

Depending on how much work you can do yourself, and the cost of parts since you are in Austrailia, you should be able to build a serious motor in the $7,000 (USD) range.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Give me some information about the type-R or look under the type-R hood, if it is a turbo then at best he is getting is 12 with a streetabel car, else he spent like 10-20 thousand on a engine from Japan, not something of the showroom floor, and had an engine swap done. If this is not the case call him out right then and there and spank his ass, if it is an engine swap let me know what engine, and I can get back to you, I am in an open car club, and half the people in it like the imports so they could give a ruth estimate of how fast the car is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, so im guessing i will get the block tune and maybe stoke to 383 or 396 *is bigger better?* then put teh ATI on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts