Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live human heart grown in lab using stem cells in potential transplant breakthrough

Scientists are growing human hearts in laboratories, offering hope for millions of cardiac patients.

American researchers believe the artificial organs could start beating within weeks.

The experiment is a major step towards the first ‘grow-your-own’ heart, and could pave the way for livers, lungs or kidneys to be made to order.

The organs were created by removing muscle cells from donor organs to leave behind tough hearts of connective tissue.

Researchers then injected stem cells which multiplied and grew around the structure, eventually turning into healthy heart cells.

Dr Doris Taylor, an expert in regenerative medicine at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, said: ‘The hearts are growing, and we hope they will show signs of beating within the next weeks.

‘There are many hurdles to overcome to generate a fully functioning heart, but my prediction is that it may one day be possible to grow entire organs for transplant.’

Patients given normal heart transplants must take drugs to suppress their immune systems for the rest of their lives.

The lab-grown organs have been created using these types of cells – the body’s immature ‘master cells’ which have the ability to turn into different types of tissue. The experiment follows a string of successes for researchers trying to create spare body parts for transplants.

In 2007, British doctors grew a human heart valve using stem cells taken from a patient’s bone marrow.

A year later, scientists grew a beating animal heart for the first time.

Dr Taylor’s team have already created beating rat and pig hearts. Although they were too weak to be used in animals, the work was an important step towards tailor-made organs.

In their latest study, reported at the American College of Cardiology’s annual conference in New Orleans, researchers created new organs using human hearts taken from dead bodies.

The scientists stripped the cells from the dead hearts with a powerful detergent, leaving ‘ghost heart’ scaffolds made from the protein collagen.

The ghost hearts were then injected with millions of stem cells, which had been extracted from patients and supplied with nutrients.

The stem cells ‘recognised’ the collagen heart structure and began to turn into heart muscle cells.

The hearts have yet to start beating – but if they do, they could be strong enough to pump blood.

However, the race to create a working heart faces many obstacles.

One of the biggest is getting enough oxygen to the organ through a complex network of blood vessels. Scientists also need to ensure the heart cells beat in time.

Dr Taylor told the Sunday Times: ‘We are a long way off creating a heart for transplant, but we think we’ve opened a door to building any organ for human transplant.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...al-transplant-breakthrough.html#ixzz1IYz7Fnnz

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
If they are able to grow a heart using stem cells... would it not be easier to repair a heart from the donor, themselves ? Put an artificial heart in during the repair process. This should also reduce the need for the drugs to combat the immune problem.

Very interesting. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are able to grow a heart using stem cells... would it not be easier to repair a heart from the donor, themselves ? Put an artificial heart in during the repair process. This should also reduce the need for the drugs to combat the immune problem.

The really good part is, they are using adult stem cells. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

The donor heart is rejected by the new body unless they share certain genetic traits (blood type for example). This way they can take any organ donor's heart and build a perfectly compatible heart from its shell.

The really good part is, they are using adult stem cells. :thumbsup:
:agree:

Does that mean we should stop research on embryonic stemcells?

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Personally, I am against it. But, there is a lot of **** a lot of people are against.. is it ethical?
I have no issue with the knowledge, my concern is how the knowledge is gained and how it is used.

I don't have the knowledge but I know humans ...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Personally, I am against it. But, there is a lot of **** a lot of people are against.. is it ethical?
Im going to play devil's advocate. You are against destroying cells which can grow into an entire human, but not against cells which can grow into a specific body part?

What if I took embryonic stem cells and spent 9 months growing those cells into a baby in the lab? Is that a person?

If I put a different set of stem cells and implanted them into a woman, is that a person?

Explain.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to play devil's advocate. You are against destroying cells which can grow into an entire human, but not against cells which can grow into a specific body part?

What if I took embryonic stem cells and spent 9 months growing those cells into a baby in the lab? Is that a person?

If I put a different set of stem cells and implanted them into a woman, is that a person?

Explain.
Why not use life-term or death row inmates? They had their chance at life, and society deemed them not acceptable.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Well after having a doctor hold my heart in his hand last week I have a bit of a different out look on life at this point. Do not judge a man or his opinion until you have walked a mile in his shoes. It may change your opinion...

I don't think there are very few of the people in this world under the age of 50 that have the knowledge to even have an opinion on these things...

I grow weary of people with opinions in this world that think it should be there way just because thats the way they feel. And have no facts to to back up there opinions...

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Wow, man... How big a reflection has this been, brother ? Does life itself, have a new meaning for you ? I ask this with all sincerity and without cuteness. Where are you at with this, brother... if you don't mind and I'm not imposing.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Why not use life-term or death row inmates? They had their chance at life, and society deemed them not acceptable.
You didnt answer my questions.

Well after having a doctor hold my heart in his hand last week I have a bit of a different out look on life at this point. Do not judge a man or his opinion until you have walked a mile in his shoes. It may change your opinion...

I don't think there are very few of the people in this world under the age of 50 that have the knowledge to even have an opinion on these things...

I grow weary of people with opinions in this world that think it should be there way just because thats the way they feel. And have no facts to to back up there opinions...
Spoken like a true wise man. Glad to see you are ok! :cheers:
I like debating because it helps me understand another person's world view. That in turn helps shape my own world view.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Going back to the original article, making some beating heart cells is a long way from a functional heart with four chambers, valves, a connection to the aorta and other major vessels, and it's own circulatory system. This advancement is significant, but I think we are decades away from growing transplantable organs. It definitely would be a fascinating field to be working in right now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
IMO it is ethical to use a simple, yet invaluable, cell to save lives. I believe that because I dont believe that cell represents a human.

Now your turn. :cheers::thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO it is ethical to use a simple, yet invaluable, cell to save lives. I believe that because I dont believe that cell represents a human.

Now your turn. :cheers::thumbsup:
I believe a human embryo is a human. Simple as that.. if we can harvest human embryo, we should be able to harvest people we are never going to allow to be free again, you deem the embryo not-viable, society has deemed death row and life term inmates not-viable. Our difference is, you believe it's just cells, and I believe it's a viable human.

Harvesting cell from a person, to use in that person is fine. Hell, using them for transplants would be fine. Harvesting human embryo's is a whole different thing, because in order to harvest, you must destroy the embryo.

To my knowledge, it can't be done.

I'm not sure what the question part of this is? :huh: Unless your referring to "test tube" babies. And that requires using an embryo, not a few cells.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts