Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if you leave your keys in the car and get out and close the door, the car will beep at you and keep the door unlocked.

However, if the car is locked, and you happen to have your keys in your gym bag, and you open the hatch with the button above the license plate to put your bag in the back, don't close the hatch!

The car doesn't unlock and doesn't realize that the keys are in the trunk.

Luckily I had my cell phone in my hand at the time and called my roommate to bring me my extra key.

This really doesn't make sense, and seems like a flaw in the design. I guess the range that the doors respond to the key is less than the distance to the rear hatch. Couldn't they have just made the range the diameter of the car.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Nope the Wife has done that just leaving the C6 keys on the center console...:D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? if I leave the key on the center console, the car beeps at me and doesn't lock, but that might be an option you can turn off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are probably many places in the car that it cannot detect the presence of the keyfob. Another place is behind the driver's seat. I keep my "backup" key in my wallet for those with separate key and keyfob. If the car or keyfob battery fails, the key is the only way (other than OnStar for the keyfob battery)!

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,625 Posts
I thought the sending unit was behind the body in the 'b' pillar and had a 3-4 foot range. Is the sensing area directional pointed toward the outside of the car?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tested mine leaving the fob on the center console. The doors WILL lock. I had the very same problem with the C-4 I had. The fob goes into the sleep mode. If you could shake the car hard enough to rattle the fob I imagine it would unlock. But you might turn the car over to get enough movement to awaken the fob.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok so if you leave your keys in the car and get out and close the door, the car will beep at you and keep the door unlocked.

However, if the car is locked, and you happen to have your keys in your gym bag, and you open the hatch with the button above the license plate to put your bag in the back, don't close the hatch!

Luckily I had my cell phone in my hand at the time and called my roommate to bring me my extra key.

This really doesn't make sense, and seems like a flaw in the design. I guess the range that the doors respond to the key is less than the distance to the rear hatch. Couldn't they have just made the range the diameter of the car.
Sorry to hear that but I don't think it is a design flaw. Even regular keys get locked inside the car from time to time. You can make everything idiot proof otherwise everything will get too expensive. Just be glad you know where your spare FOB was.

·
Registered
345 Posts
really? if I leave the key on the center console, the car beeps at me and doesn't lock, but that might be an option you can turn off.
Ditto...and yes, you are right there is an option for FOB reminder.

·
Registered
232 Posts
well i have an an m35 with a push start and the remote is a lot better than the vette one in several ways. Maybe the 08s won't have this problem so much, not that its a big problem.

·
Registered
740 Posts

I did pretty much the same thing at the beach over the Memorial Day Weekend. The wife and I were standing at the rear of the Vette, hatch open, dusting the sand from our feet prior to getting in the car. I had laid the keys in the hatch area, and before I knew it, shut the hatch. No "three beeps", just me saying "I can't believe what I have done". We were 50 miles from home, daughter and son-in-law out of town. I was dreading having to call someone to our rescue, or worse yet, facing the prospect of a tow to the local dealer. We would still need to call someone from home to come get us, or pony-up for once expensive cab ride. Our On-Star was not active, and no dealerships open on a Sunday evening, much less a holiday weekend. I thought we were screwed.

I first called On-Star to pay whatever to activate the system and have them un-lock the car. Who knew this can't be done unless you are in the vehicle to push the "blue button". Called GM Roadside Assistance. They hooked me up with a towing service that specialized in exotics. The tow arrived within the amount of time promised. The driver asked what had happened, and verify my identity as the owner. Once done, he pulled out a bag that contained a small air bladder with a hand pump. He palced the air bladder between the glass and the targa bar, pumped it up enough to separate the glass from the weather strip. He then inserted a rod about the size of a pencil with a handle that rotated to help guide it through the opening created by the air bladder. He first went for the un-lock button. This did not work. Once again, I though I was screwed. I then asked him to try the button on the dash that opens the hatch. After about ten minutes of maneuvering, he hit the button, and the hatch opened. We were saved, and not a scratch anywhere on the car. We tipped the guy $20.00 and went on our merry way. For some reason I never hought to have him try the door release button on the passenger door. This would have been a much easier target than the hatch release.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

I've done that exact same thing twice now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Spare key

I just made a copy of a spare key and hid it under the car in the rear with a magnetic key holder. has saved me about 4 times already using all the senarios mentioned so far. U dont really need an FOB cause the car lets you know when your battery is going bad

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to hear that but I don't think it is a design flaw. Even regular keys get locked inside the car from time to time. You can make everything idiot proof otherwise everything will get too expensive. Just be glad you know where your spare FOB was.
Based on the number of times this problem has been posted I would call it a design flaw. Certainly mulled over by the technicians and accountants at GM, and of course the accountants won out.

Typical, as well as many forum Vette owners develop a sense of security and reliance on the high technology of the new keyless system. It should be quite intuitive to be able to toss your gym bag with keys into the hatch, and yet still be 'saved' by the technology. They just didn't want to spend the money to prevent that sort of scenario that happens at times with regular old keys.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Whats the moral of this story?:surprised
I put the FOB in my pocket and never take it out until I get home:devil:

·
Registered
345 Posts

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Based on the number of times this problem has been posted I would call it a design flaw. Certainly mulled over by the technicians and accountants at GM, and of course the accountants won out.

Typical, as well as many forum Vette owners develop a sense of security and reliance on the high technology of the new keyless system. It should be quite intuitive to be able to toss your gym bag with keys into the hatch, and yet still be 'saved' by the technology. They just didn't want to spend the money to prevent that sort of scenario that happens at times with regular old keys.

It is not a "design flaw", it is a limitation of the current design. Moral of the story, learn not to lock your keys or FOB inside a car unless you intend to. I never had since I've been driving when I was 15yrs and 7mo and now I'm 33. And I hope I never will.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Whats the moral of this story?
I put the FOB in my pocket and never take it out until I get home
I go from office to gym at the end of most days. When I leave the gym, my pants with its fob end up in the gym bag. I solved the problem by locating my bag up in front of the passenger seat. Maybe GM should give more of a warning about gym bags in back, which is a common source of this exact problem.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
That's exactly what I do. However, that said, the fob has been locked in the trunk twice now because I would take my pants, put them in my gym bag and place that in the trunk completely forgetting to take the fob out. Why can't GM just design it so that the doors unlock when the hatch unlocks? That is my problem. Both times I did it were on Naval bases, so that leaves me with the only option of going home to get my spare because GM won't send someone on the base to unlock it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts