1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the choices....

Y pipe and single high flow cat

X Pipe and two cats

H pipe and two cats

Straight dual.

1990 L98. What are the pros and cons.

Of course, the Y pipe would be the cheapest and my sub $1000 project is now up to about $4K. So if I a Y pipe isn't that much different than an X pipe, can I go that way to save a few bucks?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet....is that auto or manual? I hear the autos have clearance problems.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
It's an auto. No clearance problems. I installed them in my garage on jackstands.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
raidmagic, where did you get the clamps for the exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'd go melrose. Never heard a bad thing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
raidmagic, where did you get the clamps for the exhaust pipes?
If you ever needed them separate, You can get the stainless steel "stepped" band clamps from Summit Racing, Ebay, or many Napa's have them as well.........Joe:thumbsup: ................ Very Nice looking Exhaust system Raid:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, Stupid question, when installing an "X" pipe, how do you know the ends of the "X" are the correct distance apart.

I mean, let's say the headers are 8 inches apart, not all cars are the same, how does the "X" pipe fit correctly.

Are they specific to the make and model?

·
Registered
441 Posts
OK, Stupid question, when installing an "X" pipe, how do you know the ends of the "X" are the correct distance apart.

I mean, let's say the headers are 8 inches apart, not all cars are the same, how does the "X" pipe fit correctly.

Are they specific to the make and model?
When installing "just" an X-pipe to an existing exhaust system...or one that wasn't designed for that particular X-pipe, most don't line up worth a damn......And then there's others like the Complete Melrose system which was designed with the right size X-pipe to fit perfect....and even if the headers end up a bit wider or narrower (and/or higher or lower) on some cars with different engine set-ups, it's still usually plenty close enough to be pulled and twisted into location to clamp things up just fine................Joe:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts