Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around tonight and started hearing a thunk in the rr of my car, I stopped checked the exhaust, everything I could see and did not notice anything. I went home and got the creaper out and started looking around and what I discovered is below. The sway bar mount and bolts pulled out of their holes. As you can see in the second pic, the threads came out of the hole with the bolt. I am wondering if poly swaybar bushings have anything to do with this?
I figure I have a couple of choices as to fixing this, one is to dissasemble the whole knuckle, re drill the holes round, they are both wobbled out oval shaped, re tap and put it all back together. The other choice as I see it is to use the same size bolt and a nut on the bottom, I think there is enough room for a nut to sit correctly on the bottom side.
Thoughts, ideas?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow tough luck

If it were me I would heli-coil it and be done with it. They have the kits at the local parts store. I wonder whst the root cause is?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
the threads came out of the hole with the bolt.
Sure you haven't lost the nuts off the bolts?
My '85 / '87 / '90 diffs have the swaybar mounts held by through bolts with nuts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Use a nylon lock nut,the anti seize proably caused org nut to back off.You can use a tapered lock nut also,i'm not to fond of them tho.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I got it fixed with new bolts/nuts/lock washers. I never thought about nylocs but I might go get some. I will have to keep an eye on this and the other side, I dont want it happening again. All in all it was a simple fix, $.50. hehehe:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Good thing you noticed it though. It's amazing how quickly a $.50 problem can turn into an "oh ****" moment.

I think I'll be pinning every suspension bolt on my next performance vehicle. Had a LCA come loose on my old Camaro while going a decent speed. It's a little irritating to have a rear tire wedge itself in the wheel well.
:thud:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts