Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market to buy new oversized rotors and brake pads, but want to keep stock calipers, does any one have any suggestion on this matter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brakes

i dont want to dish out the money for new calipers, so i was thinking of only changing my rotors to larger ones, sst brakelines, and some really good pads...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put on Baer Eradispeed rotors cross drilled and slotted (2piece in front) (1 piece in rear) with the same size as factory and added Hawk HP street pads and it is a big difference in stopping. I did not measure the pre and post stopping distance from 60 mph, but you should if you upgrade. Careful on the oversized rotors if you keep your stock rims, they won't fit. I kept my factory calipers, lines, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want larger-than-stock rotors, go with the C6 Z51 rotors and calipers adapters (brackets). They will use your stock calipers and the upgrade costs around $500. I believe you might need 18" rims on the front because of the larger diameter rotor, but I am not positive. Otherwise, it's a bolt-in swap. The Z51 rotors are larger in diameter, increased from 12.8" to 13.4" in front, and from 12.0" to 13.0" in the rear compared to standard C6 and C5 rotors.
Part#'s are all x2:
88964166 front caliper brackets
88964167 rear caliper brackets
89060328 front rotors
89060329 rear rotors

·
Registered
57 Posts
I put on Baer Eradispeed rotors cross drilled and slotted (2piece in front) (1 piece in rear) with the same size as factory and added Hawk HP street pads and it is a big difference in stopping. I did not measure the pre and post stopping distance from 60 mph, but you should if you upgrade. Careful on the oversized rotors if you keep your stock rims, they won't fit. I kept my factory calipers, lines, etc.
:agree: I used the same disks but used GM ceramic pads and love the way the car stops. Stops get progressively better as the ceramic pads heat up.

I was curious if you hear a hum when you apply brakes with the drilled and slotted Baer rotors? I do and it just seems strange. With the ceramic pads there's far less brake dust than with the stocks and I like that. I added stainless steel lines and went to a higher DOT rated fluid...can't remember if it's 4 or 5 but one of the two is not compatible with ABS so I used the other. I totally trashed my brakes beating a Viper at a track in Italy...thus, the new Baers. Always buy brake fluid sold and distributed in metal containers since they say plastic absorbs water. I will purge and refill brake fluid once a year since finding water in the lines is a problem.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
I'd add a third endorsement for this setup. Eradispeed 2pc frt 1 pc rears on my Z, with Hawk pads, fantastic brake setup!

·
Registered
120 Posts
WyoDudeC5:

No "hum" when I use my brakes. Maybe it's the ceramic? As long as the car stops quickly and the hum isn't too loud, no worries: just crank up the radio volume or make your exhaust louder.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you are going to be driving real hard and possibly racing the car here and there then Stoptech makes the best product out there (IMO). Whatever brand you get make sure you get a two-piece floating system with slots and no holes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2KVETC5:

Good advice! What me worry?????

:laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts