Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1977 corvette. I am wondering what everyone suggests I should offer for it. Its a project car. Its almost exactly what i have been looking for to restore and put a upgraded trans and motor in one. he has a price, i am intentionally leaving it out to avoid comments about how high or low it may be, I would rather just get your opinions on a true price value of this car. Here are the pictures:
Here is a little about the condition:

here are the pics...
http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/chevyowner/Corvette/

complete body and frame WITHOUT motor and transmission.
It was a four speed.
The body is not ready to be painted; meaning it is pitted, it has had some repair done to it, there are cracks in the body.
The hodor is not flush.
The interior is not complete; it is missing the center console, it is missing the glove box, the dash board is mostly gone, and the door panels (at least one appeared to be) are missing.

any suggestions as to how much any of you would pay for this car in this condition? Any input would be really helpful.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Without knowing the condition of the frame and birdcage but assuming they are ok and/or repairable. $1500-2000.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
"Project" is correct. BIG project is even more correct.

A. What is the seller asking?

B. Do you really want to fool with this old girl?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Project" is correct. BIG project is even more correct.

A. What is the seller asking?

B. Do you really want to fool with this old girl?

I know its a big project...that's why we're all here though isn't it?? :D :D

I didn't really want to include what the seller is asking just for the sake of having a mediated value placed on it by all you corvette gurus. For now, all that I'll say is that its a little higher than what's already been suggested.

and heavens yes I want to fool with this ol' girl!!! I have to make my wife angry at me somehow!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I would say $1,000 would be pushing it.

You're going to spend a lot sourcing the missing interior components, and this is still assuming the frame and bird cage are solid...

...which I doubt, based on the pictures and how I assume it's spent most of it's life outside, uncovered, over mud or grass, neglected.

I think it could be a very cool project but it could also turn out to be VERY expensive. $1,000 or less. Not more though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

You're going to spend a lot sourcing the missing interior components, and this is still assuming the frame and bird cage are solid...

...which I doubt, based on the pictures and how I assume it's spent most of it's life outside, uncovered, over mud or grass, neglected.

I think it could be a very cool project but it could also turn out to be VERY expensive. $1,000 or less. Not more though.
Cool thanks, I always forget about the little things like whether it was left outside for a long time or not.
He has all of the interior(door panels...) only missing parts of the dash....by parts i mean 70% of the dash is missing. haha. Thanks for your input. This forum is great.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Let me ask you this. Let's say you had an open account. How much money would you say you'd need to get the car to where you'd like to see it in the end? That is the real question becuase eveyone has a different level of.... "that's good enough for me"

I put 10 grand into mine doing all the work myself and all I did was a new engine, interior, side pipes and a handfullof other repairs.

Even a basic "just get it on the road to pass inspection"...aka...no paint...... is going to run you at LEAST $6k. Trust me on that.

If your cool with that then I'd go in at $900 strong and see how the guy/gal reacts to your offer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me ask you this. Let's say you had an open account. How much money would you say you'd need to get the car to where you'd like to see it in the end? That is the real question becuase eveyone has a different level of.... "that's good enough for me"

I put 10 grand into mine doing all the work myself and all I did was a new engine, interior, side pipes and a handfullof other repairs.

Even a basic "just get it on the road to pass inspection"...aka...no paint...... is going to run you at LEAST $6k. Trust me on that.

If your cool with that then I'd go in at $900 strong and see how the guy/gal reacts to your offer.
Nice. I've got a price list of what I would like to do and the end result falls somewhere around $15k. I'll go at it $900. That's good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...and heavens yes I want to fool with this ol' girl!!!...
Okay. If you have come to terms on that fact, go dicker with the owner.

Before you drag it home, stop by the U-Squirt and clean it up a bit. Your wife will be shocked enough as it is when she sees it; she might be less shocked if the dirt was squirted off of it. Notice I said might be...

Good luck.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
$1000?????? Really????? :laughing:

I'd go scrap value at most. :down:

There is nothing there of value.

Interior is totally gone.
No engine
No trans
Based on the appearance of the car, the suspension is also most likely shot.
The glass is probably scratched up?
Dash is gone
Gauges probably shot
No wheels
Body is a mess....
....... yada yada

You're buying a frame and the shell of what use to be a Corvette. I'd go $200-$500 at most.

There is nothing special or collectible of this car.
If it where a bit more rare, I could see $1000, but not here.

In fact I might charge the seller to take it off his hands. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Even though I earlier stated $1000.00 at the most I would agree that it would be closer to scrap value.

Not to be disrespectful but 15,000 wont get it into any kind of shape to be usefull. At that point you will have 15 grand in a car that needs lots of work and is probably worth less than 10.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Where are you guys buying your project cars that you are paying less than a grand for a titled rolling shell of a C-3? Cost to repair aside, where can you buy that car for less than that? You can't around here. If you were planning to do a custom car frame off or not that is the perfect car to buy. Why spend the money on a running driving one when you are just going to tear it all apart anyway?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$1000?????? Really????? :laughing:

I'd go scrap value at most. :down:

There is nothing there of value.

Interior is totally gone.
No engine
No trans
Based on the appearance of the car, the suspension is also most likely shot.
The glass is probably scratched up?
Dash is gone
Gauges probably shot
No wheels
Body is a mess....
....... yada yada

You're buying a frame and the shell of what use to be a Corvette. I'd go $200-$500 at most.

There is nothing special or collectible of this car.
If it where a bit more rare, I could see $1000, but not here.

In fact I might charge the seller to take it off his hands. ;)

I'm not sure I know what scrap value is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are you guys buying your project cars that you are paying less than a grand for a titled rolling shell of a C-3? Cost to repair aside, where can you buy that car for less than that? You can't around here. If you were planning to do a custom car frame off or not that is the perfect car to buy. Why spend the money on a running driving one when you are just going to tear it all apart anyway?

Speaking of that, apparently some of you have an idea as to where to find a car for less than a grand... could any of you lead me to that place? Maybe I'm just not looking correctly. Where should I be looking for these deals?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. If you have come to terms on that fact, go dicker with the owner.

Before you drag it home, stop by the U-Squirt and clean it up a bit. Your wife will be shocked enough as it is when she sees it; she might be less shocked if the dirt was squirted off of it. Notice I said might be...

Good luck.

My wife would be angry either way. you didn't hear this from me, but i think anger is wired into a woman's genes.

·
Registered
70 Posts

:agree:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Speaking of that, apparently some of you have an idea as to where to find a car for less than a grand... could any of you lead me to that place? Maybe I'm just not looking correctly. Where should I be looking for these deals?

I have purchased three 1977 Corvettes. All were drivers that passed inspection. None cost me more than $5,000.

That being said, on the my first two I immediately spent $5,000 each on brakes and suspension work. Then another $5,000 each on those two for crate engines, and a couple thousand more on things like custom exhaust for one and side pipes for the other.

Each was a good example that a $5,000 driver quality purchase turned into a $12,000 car without even touching body or interior.

Granted, those first two were done at a dealership, before I learned my involvement was cheaper. I've been working on Corvettes now for 14 years and getting good at it has saved me a lot of money.

·
Registered
307 Posts
well you do what is best for you we all have different viewpoints.
I just dont think it is a best value scenario to think you will buy a shell and think 15 grand later you have something nice.

Like i said its a view point situation. Good luck to you
with the build and I meant no harm.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts