Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new sports car to replace a current daily driver that I have owned for the last 12 years or so.

My problem is that in looking around, there just isn't that much out there in the sports car market that interests me.

I could live with a last generation RX-7 turbo, and have some interest in the Mitsubishi VR4, but aside from those, nothing much turns my crank - the others are either ugly or slow.

I'm considering replacing an 88 Fiero GT, and don't want to drop too much performance when I do, or have to do more than a bit of modification to get back to what I had. This car has an engine I built (I race vintage sports cars and do my own engine work) that produces just on 300 bhp., so I am looking at 0-60 in under 5 secs. and a quarter mile close to 13 flat, while retaining reasonable mileage and emissions (we have to pass an annual test here).

My question for you guys is that while I like the C4 Corvettes, I haven't paid much attention to the specs on them, and wondered if any of them would be a suitable replacement, give or take a little?

As you may have gathered, I am not a one marque fan - I just like cars and am interested in just about anything (I mostly own British, although some are American powered, and one Italian car). But I've been quite happy with the Fiero, and recently sold a nice 455HO 72 convertible, as well as a string of GM tow cars for my race cars, so have dabbled with GM products.

Any advice gratefully received. What are the 'good' years, if any, what should I look out for, and how much if anything should I expect to spend to get what I want?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I would recommend any year ZR-1. This car is truly a world class sports car. A hi-revving V8, a top speed of 180+ mph, 1/4 times in the 12.7 second range and just a blast to drive.

The best part is they look like the normal C4's, with the exeption of the rear end that is wider by 3", if I'm remembering correctly. The windshield is also different, it has a special coating on it.

The motor is rated in the 375-400 HP range.

Good luck with your search and I hope you choose to join the Corvette family! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure that I am ready for the potential maintainance complexities/problems attendant on ZR-1 ownership.

I already have some cars that have their share of cams/valves/complexity - DOHC MGs I race and a DOHC Lamborghini I drive on weekends.

I am just after something reliable that won't put me to sleep driving it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I think a 94-96 C4 will suit you. My wifes 95 does 14 flat with my daughtor piloting. Most guys here will tell you that mods for a 13 second car are not too complicated, and still have lot's of everyday fun.

Pricing?...that's all over the map. I found you just have to look around, and when the right car for your money appears, you'll know it.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I'm glad you are considering a C4.

To sum it up, a C4 handles raw like a race car, has perfectly balanced power/braking/handling/comfort and fun!

To get you started you may want to brush up on the history of the C4, then take a look through our gallery of C4 pics and check out this info below.

--------------------------

The 1984-1996 Corvette is referred to as the C4 or "Fourth Generation" Corvette. There were no 1983 production year Corvettes sold to the public.

1984 - This year saw an almost complete redesign of the Corvette. The '84 production run started in March 1983. Top engine was the 350/205 h.p. option. Top selling color was bright red.

1985 - Last offered in 1965, "true" tuned-port fuel injection returned to the Corvette. Top horsepower was increased to 230.

1986 - For the first time since 1975 a convertible was offered again. Corvette "Paced" the Indy 500, and all '86 covertibles were considered Indy Pace Car Replicas, the second year Corvette produced a Pace Car replica. Anti-lock brakes bacame standard on the Corvette. Four coupes were sold with a Copper Metallic paint (code 66). Fifty "Malcolm Konner Commemorative Edition" Corvettes were produced (RPO 4001ZA.)

1987 - Top engine selection was 240 h.p. The Callaway Twin-Turbo engine option was not factory installed, but could be ordered from participating Chevrolet dealers (RPO B2K.) 184 were ordered.

1988 - A thirty-fifth anniversary edition package could be ordered on Coupes. The '88 standard wheel was changed to 16x8.5 (used for only that one year.)

1989 - A six-speed transmission was introduced. Standard wheel was 1988's optional 17x9.5 twelve-slot wheel. Eighty-four ZR-1 Corvettes were built, but not sold to the public.

1990 - Big news was the ZR-1 performance option. The 1990 ZR-1, not to be confused with the 1970 ZR1 option, ZR-1 utilized the LT5 engine assembled by Mercury Marine, producing 375 h.p. and costing an extra $27,000. The ZR-1 also included a number of unique body panels. 3,049 ZR-1's were produced. All 1990 Corvettes utilized a more efficient sloped radiator design. The Competition Yellow paint option (53) was discontinued in early 1990 due to pigment problems in the sunlight.

1991 - All '91 Corvettes had redesigned front ends, new side panel louvers and newly redesigned rear exteriors, similar to the '90 ZR-1s. Newly designed wheels were also introduced. Mufflers were revised and included less back pressure.

1992 - Base engine was the LT1, a newly redesigned small-block. Mobile 1 Synthetic oil was filled at the factory. Improved weatherstripping was used. The 1-millionth Corvette, a white convertible, was produced.

1993 - A 40th Anniversary package was optional with all models. The package included a Ruby Red metallic exterior. All leather seats in 1993 had "40th" anniversary in the headrest area. Horsepower in the ZR-1 increased to 405. The passive keyless entry system was introduced. Front wheels were decreased in size to 17x8.5. The ZR-1 could run a top speed of 179 mph. 6,749 40th Anniversary Ruby Red cars were ordered. 448 ZR-1s were produced.

1994 - The ZR-1s received a new 5-spoke wheel design. This wheel could not be ordered on other models. The four-speed automatic transmission was designed using electronic controls. You now had to use the brake pedal before shifting from "park." AC systems were revised to use R-134A refrigerant, a non ozone depleting CFC design. Goodyear Extended Mobility Tires (EMTs) "Run Flats" were an option. Admiral Blue and Copper Metallic were new color options.

1995 - Front fender air vents were redesigned to a "gill" shape. Corvette "paced" the Indy 500 race, and a Dark Purple and White convertible Indy 500 Pace Car Replica was offered (RPO Z4Z) 527 were produced, the third Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car replica. This was the last year for the ZR-1. The ZR-1 option now added $31,258 to the base price of a Corvette. A '95 convertible ZR-1 with Auxiliary Hardtop and Adjustable Suspension package cost the purchaser about $80,000. Total ZR-1s produced 1990-95 was 6,939.

1996 - New optional 350 c.i. LT4 engine, used only in 1996. LT4 equipped cars had an 8000 RPM tachometer. LT1 engined cars used a 6000 RPM tachometer. The "Grand Sport" option included the LT4 engine and special Admiral Blue paint with white center stripe. They also included the 5-spoke ZR-1 wheels, painted black. Corvettes with the Grand Sport option used separate serial numbers. A "Collector Edition" option included Sebring Silver paint and special trim. Traditionally, Red is the top selling exterior color, but in '96, Sebring Silver Metallic was the top seller. This was the last C4.

Specifications:

# produced: 1984: 51,547 Coupes only

1985: 39,729 Coupes only

1986: 35,109 Coupes: 27,794 Convts: 7,315

1987: 30,632 Coupes: 20,007 Convts: 10,625

1988: 22,789 Coupes: 15,382 Convts: 7,407

1989: 26,412 Coupes: 16,663 Convts: 9,749

1990: 23,646 Coupes: 16,016 Convts: 7,630

1991: 20,639 Coupes: 14,967 Convts: 5,672

1992: 20,479 Coupes: 14,604 Convts: 5,875

1993: 21,590 Coupes: 15,898 Convts: 5,692

1994: 23,330 Coupes: 17,984 Convts: 5,346

1995: 20,742 Coupes: 15,771 Convts: 4,971

1996: 21,536 Coupes: 17,167 Convts: 4,369

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hay pat you didnt try to sell him on a GS,are you sliping:rolling: :buhbye: :stick:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
kenney said:
Hay pat you didnt try to sell him on a GS,are you sliping:rolling: :buhbye: :stick:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Best Years?

I too am new to the site and I am interested in getting a C4 roadster and would prefer a standard transmission. I've also heard that certain years had dash problems, is this true? and that the four plus trans was not all that great? Any info would be welcomed. By the way the end product will have a ATI
Procharger intercooled blower on it. Our shop built one for a customer last year and it ran great! Ian McLaren

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Re: Best Years?

Ian McLaren said:
I too am new to the site and I am interested in getting a C4 roadster and would prefer a standard transmission. I've also heard that certain years had dash problems, is this true? and that the four plus trans was not all that great? Any info would be welcomed. By the way the end product will have a ATI
Procharger intercooled blower on it. Our shop built one for a customer last year and it ran great! Ian McLaren
First, welcome!

Second.... dash problems? I know there can be issues with earlier C4 displays, where the LED's would burn out and you'd have to get a display rebuild.... is that what you mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess so, I had just heard that the earlier units had a problem, nothing really specific. From a style point I prefer the later models. After working on a lot of F-bodies with the LT1 I wish there was an alternative to the Opti spark, but the motor is so much better than it's predicesors I didn't see another solution. Anything specific about the roadsters I should know? By the way thankyou for the reply. Ian

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
So, you have unlimited bucks?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ will get you what you want.
Plenty of vette's priced right.
Buyers market.
tony

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
since you posted this in the C4 section,i would guess your already leaning toward a C4.maybe look at a 90s and up calloway.i would love to have one.:smokin:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
since you posted this in the C4 section,i would guess your already leaning toward a C4.maybe look at a 90s and up calloway.i would love to have one.:smokin:
And who wouldn't.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope, not looking to spend unlimited bucks on a car, just looking for a non-boring daily driver.

I am in Canada, and importing Calloways etc would be a pain, not to mention over the budget I had in mind.

So of the 'normal' C4 models, what are the best years to look for, and why?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Bill said:
Nope, not looking to spend unlimited bucks on a car, just looking for a non-boring daily driver.

I am in Canada, and importing Calloways etc would be a pain, not to mention over the budget I had in mind.

So of the 'normal' C4 models, what are the best years to look for, and why?
I would look into a CE 1996.It has all the best in engine,interrior,and comfort.Just a thought.Good luck:thumbsup: :cheers: :buhbye:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
kenney said:
I would look into a CE 1996.It has all the best in engine,interrior,and comfort.Just a thought.Good luck:thumbsup: :cheers: :buhbye:
look into the newest corvette you can....they made and are making slight improvements each year...1996 manual cars have the LT4 motor which is rated from the factory at 330 hp...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would also look for a 1996 6 speed car that would give you the LT-4 Motor, 13 flat (or a bit better) performance and pretty maintenence free for a C4. I would also suggest getting as new of car as possible, Early C5's are also getting pretty cheap (low 20's) if thats an option for you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love fieros! I have owned several including a Lamborghini replica with a v-8 stuffed in it! If you drive a vette you will never look back to the fiero.....A vette is hands down a better car! Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have to agree with look for the newest model you can afford. That was our thinking when we replaced our 88 model in 1999. We were not really that sold on the C5's at the time along with the high $$$$$'s. We went looking for a 96, last year of production for the C4 and probably the best, they had quite a while to work all the bugs out. We found a Collector Edition convertible, one owner, low miles and for less than half the cost of a C5. One of 778 made with the black interior. Has been a great car, fast, comfortable and reliable. Only one problem: it takes about two hours to get that silly a** grin off your face after you drive it for a while.

Just call me Al;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts