Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this part in some of the Corvette parts catalogs but none sell it. I believe the name of the part is "Shift Interlock Cable Bracket".

I have the upper part the cable connects to but am missing the lower on my TH400.

Can anyone give me some ideas where to look?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have that part laying around the shop some where, Let me see if I can find it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a better image of the missing part. The previous owner just had hanger wire hooked up to the column lock piece so that the wheel was never locked. It seems like when they did the manual to auto swap they took the cheap route (like everything else they did).

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just a tip to go with that:

Make sure you maintain the engine to frame grounds. Electricity likes the easiest path and will find it. If the correct grounds are not really good, it'll ground thru that interlock cable and the shift cables. I've seen them welded together. When that happens, you can't move either one.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a tip to go with that:

Make sure you maintain the engine to frame grounds. Electricity likes the easiest path and will find it. If the correct grounds are not really good, it'll ground thru that interlock cable and the shift cables. I've seen them welded together. When that happens, you can't move either one.
I believe I remember seeing a ground strap on the right side block mounting hardware. It was all very greasy, oily and nasty looking, but it must be good as the car runs fine right now without the steering lock cable.

Interesting information though, guess I won't know how good my ground is until I get this cable on.

Didn't Confucious say "At some point, one will surpass Bubba's mistakes"? Bubba is dying a quick death on my car, this bracket is one more stake in the heart.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if this page from the Doc Rebuild catalogue will help or not. There are two brackets called out but I can't tell if they are manual shift or automatic.
http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/ASH-TRAY.pdf

Jim
My guess is that it's for the manual transmission. There really isn't a front and rear bracket that goes on the trans, just the single bracket.

I can find the manual transmission bracket all over the usual places, but the automatic transmission one? Not anyplace I've looked. I dont' understand the discrepancy, weren't automatics in about 50% or more of the cars for this age?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts