Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys & Gals..I'll be getting a slightly used 94-96 C4 here in the next 2 weeks. I've been doing my research and i've decided on these 3 model year vettes.

Here's what i'm looking for ( 94-96 )

Color(s) Red, Black, White or Yellow

Interior: Black, Red or Tan

Convertible top : Black, white or Tan

Targa or convertible( leaning more towards the Targa)

Automatic( 'Fiancee' can't drive a stick)

I know about the Opti-spark issue and some other stuff thats involved with these cars.I choose these years vettes with the LT1 SBC cause i can work on these myself( heads, cam, intake etc) if i so desire too. i have an 8 sec racecar already and just wanted something for my new wife & I to cruise in.

Let me know what you think & your thoughts and suggestions.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
You've done your research. Nice work. Now just know what the eventual car is worth and don't get all giddy and over pay just because it's a Corvette. Don't take bs from the potential buyer. I don't say that to insult you, but it's very easy to fall in love with the car and ignore major issues.

And I would insist on a prepurchase inspection at a reputable Corvette shop. They cost about $100 and they are worth every penny.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove
5,157 Posts
Areas to inspect:

Weatherstripping - it breaks down, and replacement quality varies.

Interior trim pieces - the car is rough enough that the mounting means for many of the plastic trim pieces fail. The trim stays in place, but it contributes to rattles, and in a cruising car, that isn't always a lot of fun. They are also hard to find, although the reproduction market is making some.

Check tires, too. If tires on the potential car are worn, then you need to negotiate appropriately. There are still lots of good tire choices for 94 - 96 C4's. I ran Goodyear Eagle GS-D3's. They were good (both wet and dry), but quite noisy.

Stereo. The stock radio, even with the upgraded Bose Gold, kind of sucks. I didn't listen to the radio, so I didn't care. But if you want tunes, you'll either have to check the Bose speakers & head unit carefully, and then decide if you want to repair or replace.

Driver's side seat. Check the bolster on the seat back, as the action of moving your but across the leather tends to wear it out. While you're at it, check the seat to ensure that it doesn't rock, since you'll eventually need a new track if it does (or you can ignore it, like I did on my '95 - it wasn't that bad).

If you buy the coupe, make sure that you have the wrench for removing and replacing the top.

I hope you find what you're looking for. I bought my '95 in 2006, and kept it until last April, when I got a C6. The C4 was a great car, and I loved it.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck,
Steven

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats good mileage for these cars 94-96? considering these cars are driven only during the summer months. I would like to stay under 50K-60K when i get this car. I also heard that the vettes with the Z07 option were no no's? the system doesnt work correctly. other that carfax, whats another way to check for hidden collision damage? I've seen some 94-96 vettes with near perfect interior and some with not so perfect interior. With the targa top car you'll get squeaking when removed. Do they still make the X-bar frame support anymore? i know on my racecar, i have " thru the floor " subframe connectors that are tied into the 12 point roll cage in the car. Anything like that offered for the C4's.....This is another color that i would like to add to my list. this car is beautiful, but it has that Z07 option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
You might consider dropping the'94 off your list. Although I've never had an Optispark problem the '94's were not a vented Opti and were a lot more prone to failure. All my OptiSparks have been 1995 and are very reliable.

The Targa top cars have been known to have some leaks. The weatherstripping is 20 years old and has seen a lot of sun. My Vert needed new weatherstripping and I was never able to find anything hat sealed as well as factory. Most of the aftermarket stuff is too hard.

Good luck and welcome to our world. C4's are a lot of bang for the buck and are about as much fun as a man can have..........with his clothes on.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So no 94's? I should stick with the 95-96 cars then? The opti-spark was improved for 95 from what i've read. Here's another color combination i like too. Both cars are local. the 94 has 34k and the 95 has 77k. I'm gonna go take a look at both of these this weekend.

Attachments

·
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove
5,157 Posts
So no 94's? I should stick with the 95-96 cars then? The opti-spark was improved for 95 from what i've read. Here's another color combination i like too. Both cars are local. the 94 has 34k and the 95 has 77k. I'm gonna go take a look at both of these this weekend.
I wouldn't get too wrapped up over the non-vented Optispark. If the engine has been kept dry, then you probably won't have a problem. If you do, and you're capable of doing your own work, then you can put a vented Opti in then.

What have you heard about the Z07? It came with the FX3 electronic shocks and 9.5 wheels at all corners (riding on 275 wide tires - not staggered like the non-Z06). Other than the cost to repair the FX3 controllers, I don't know of any other concern with that package. I think it also includes the 3.07:1 rear gear, so that would be nice with the automatic.

With respect to miles, it depends on the treatment. My '95 had 48k on it when I bought it, and three months later it was awarded Bloomington Gold certification - but it had been treated well for 11 years. When I sold it, it had about 80k on it, but I think it still could have passed the requirements for Gold. Find a car that has been taken care of, and you'll be rewarded with a car that will give you miles of smiles.

Good Luck!
Steven

Reactions: Stole it

·
Registered
523 Posts
whats another way to check for hidden collision damage?
Look at as many C4 as you can. You will start to notice differences in a well cared for car vs one that has had a harder life. Look for signs of over spray where it shouldn't be (weather stripping, exhaust, act.). Not that one that has been painted hasn't been taken care of but I would wonder and ask why it was painted and go from there.

Take a lot of pictures of each car and look at them on your computer in full size. You will start noticing differences of things that look out of place and have been messed with.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Hey neighbor, you're probably not too far from me. I've seen both of these listed online. I'm a big fan of the 95/96 C4s. You're making a good choice. These guys know what to look for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey neighbor, you're probably not too far from me. I've seen both of these listed online. I'm a big fan of the 95/96 C4s. You're making a good choice. These guys know what to look for. :thumbsup:
Whats up neighbor. I'm on the southeast side of chicago. i looked at the 95 today. I did take pictures of the car. the car looks and drives beautifully. the guy is 66yrs old who's selling it. I looked at 2 C5 vettes today as well:huh:One a Torch red 2000 Vert & a 2002 white w/red int Vert....

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
You looked at C5s too? Hmmm. One rule of thumb is to buy the newest Vette you can afford. If you're finding C4s and 5s in your range, the 5 is obviously a more refined car. I'm not a fan of the exterior design, but they are a completely different car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You looked at C5s too? Hmmm. One rule of thumb is to buy the newest Vette you can afford. If you're finding C4s and 5s in your range, the 5 is obviously a more refined car. I'm not a fan of the exterior design, but they are a completely different car.
But those C4 cars are so sexy to me:excited:I like the C5's too but you don't see any clean C4's around much. i see alot of the C5 cars. Whats a good price for a low mileage C4 car?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
But those C4 cars are so sexy to me:excited:I like the C5's too but you don't see any clean C4's around much. i see alot of the C5 cars. Whats a good price for a low mileage C4 car?

I love the C4s as well. Growing up it was "Corvette" to me and that's why I have one.

Prices are tough. Mine is a great car that is probably about 90% perfect and I doubt I'd get more than $10k for it. On my BEST day.

For the age range you are looking at and wanting it well looked after, I'd say you're gonna see them advertised between $15k and $20k. I don't think I'd ever pay more than $15k. There are just too many of them out there and a rare few are actually "rare" or "collectible."

But keep this in mind, it's a 20 year old car with 20 year old car problems. And sometimes rarely driven cars with ultra low miles give you more problems than something with gave rage miles for its age. There's going to be work that needs to be done. If you're good with wrenches, you can do 99% of it yourself. If you're not, the wrong car can send you to the poor house with labor fees.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good Info XQIZT. I was looking between 25k-60k in mileage. I've seen some from as low as 5900.00 up to 30,000. The 5900.00 C4 i might stay away from the $30G vette? i might as well buy a C6 or better for that kind of bread. Under $15G cash is where i wanna be. Like i said in prior post, i want the C4 LT1 car 94-96. i can work on those. The L98 engine cars are even easier to work on i would believe. I'll do minor stuff like, Cold air kit, gear change ( 3.42) , Programmer and replace the rear muffers with the something nice w/factory tips. I got a racecar already. this is gonna be a cruiser.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For Sale, 1986 C4, Red with 83,076 miles

Trying to help a friend. He is going to be selling his house in CT and moving South in the near future so he is trying to sell a few things.

He is currently selling his 1986 red Corvette C4 with 83,076 miles on it. He is the 3rd owner and bought the vehicle in 1998 with 63,000 miles on it. Corvette is in good shape and has some minor scratches. He has all the service records from 40,000 miles and the car has been kept in the garage since he has owned it.

Car has new tires, battery, exhaust and brakes. A/c needs service and driver side door cylinder may need to be replaced.

He is asking $7,500.00 or best offer.

You can contact Bob (owner) to discuss price at 203-305-7586.

Could only add the one picture, for more send me your e-mail address or phone number and I will send you more.
Attached Images

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Thorn811. but i'm looking for a 94-96 LT-1 car. thats alittle older than i would like. Clean 86 though. I'm sure he'll get it sold.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Whats up neighbor. I'm on the southeast side of chicago. i looked at the 95 today. I did take pictures of the car. the car looks and drives beautifully. the guy is 66yrs old who's selling it. I looked at 2 C5 vettes today as well:huh:One a Torch red 2000 Vert & a 2002 white w/red int Vert....

Nice, I grew up on the SW side I got some friends out in Hegewisch still, just a few blocks from the plant. Maybe we'll bump into each other on the road this summer. Get shopping for that vette!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe its just me but, i'm seeing some of the C4 94-96 vettes sitting lower in the front than others. Is that an issue i should be watching for? these cars sit higher in the rear? this is just what i've seen online

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Lower in the front is a good thing. It's not a common issue but since the front's already lowered, the rear lowering is just 2 longer bolts away. It'll look better and have a lower center off gravity. I don't know of any composite spring failures or fatigue. They probably do break or sag over time but I've never heard of it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts