Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just got my 04 C5 2 weeks ago and love her.
She is all stock now, but I have been reading about some bolt on mods I would like to do. (on a budget)

Tell me what you think of this.
1. C5 stinger cold air intake.
2. Larger throttle body ...size? (suggestions)
3. Maybe new MAF if needed. (suggestions)

Also has anyone used a throttle body bypass kit and what do you think of it?

Like I said I am new to all this, but freaking excited to mod.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have the Stinger and love it. It takes about 15minutes to install. Probably like 45min for you like it did me. A new Maf probably will hurt more than help. Really not needed to change. More will contest to that. A larger throttlebody wont due much good now, but after you've modded a lot it will. The first things I would do are the CAI, Headers, CAtback. You are looking at some good power gains through that. The catback will mainly be for sound. I went with the Halltech Stinger and the B&B Bullets Catback(It is REAL loud). I should be ordering my LG Longtube headers Pro series next week with my cam package, UD pulley, LS2 Oil pump, LS2 timing chain, and tunnel brace. What transmission do you have? A4 or M6? Can we get anymore details on your car.

By the way I did the throttle body bypass mod. No noticeable difference and it took 5minutes to do. It can't hurt unless you hook the wrong hoses together. One guy did that, but got lucky that he didn't hydrolock his engine.

Welcome and have some fun with it man.

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mod Help

Thanks Josh,

I thought that the Stinger and exhaust would probably be first, but wasn't sure and did not have the money for exhaust until I got some side
work yesterday.

Not too sure about the catback, I want it loud, but not too loud.
It seems that there are a ton of options in this area.

Thanks, again......

P.S. Your ride is kickin!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
No problem man, that is what this forum is about. Not as quick, but 10 times more helpful and friendlier. Hopefully I'll be making my calls this week to order my parts then it is waiting time for delivery. That will blow. 2 weeks on the headers.

Thanks for the compliment.

Josh

·
Registered
508 Posts
Bamafan...

I am new to all of these mods as well. From the multitude of hours that I have spent reading on this topic, I have to agree with "75GlassShark". The quickest and easiest way to HP is through a CAI, Headers with Hi-Flow Cats, and a new exhaust.

I am going with the Halltech Stinger, The LG Longtube Pro's with Hi-Flow Cats, and the B&B Bullet 4" Quad tip exhaust. I thought I would do all of this at one time. Well in one weekend anyways.

I have read that after doing this, I should get a new "Tune" as well. Does everybody seem to agree with that????

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Bamafan...

I am new to all of these mods as well. From the multitude of hours that I have spent reading on this topic, I have to agree with "75GlassShark". The quickest and easiest way to HP is through a CAI, Headers with Hi-Flow Cats, and a new exhaust.

I am going with the Halltech Stinger, The LG Longtube Pro's with Hi-Flow Cats, and the B&B Bullet 4" Quad tip exhaust. I thought I would do all of this at one time. Well in one weekend anyways.

I have read that after doing this, I should get a new "Tune" as well. Does everybody seem to agree with that????

Thanks,

Dave

YES!! I completely agree. You will gain power with those mods, but a tune will open the up immensely. Plus a tune is worth around 15RWHP too. Not to mention the crap they can turn off in the computer like Skip Shift.

Josh

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well for a real budget set up you can get a K&N filter and do the zip tie mod(google it for directions), first mod I ever did, its proven to make around 8RWHP, and you can skip the cat back the stock TI's flow just as much as almost every aftermarket exhaust out there and they weigh alot less too. Now for the other mods go with a set of Kooks longtubes, Vararam v2b intake, highflow cats and a tune from a proven tuner, i didnt see you location feel free to PM me with any questions. I have done all of these mods. O before I forget, depending on how worn your tires are a great bang for the buck mod are the Nitto 555R2 tires (275/40/R17 front 305/35/R18 rear) no rubbing issues at all with these tires . The traction they give is amazing night and day difference from factory goodyears. Good luck and happy modding!:cheers:

·
Registered
618 Posts
For the cost of a stinger intake, you can get a true Cold Air intake. while the stinger has a huge filter, it still sucks in the hot air from under the hood which can reach up to 200 degrees. A cold air intake can give you an additional 10hp over any aftermarket underhood intake. For CAIs, Vararam and Honker are the most popular, but there's also the hurricane and vortex intakes. I'm using the Vararam vrb2 myself with a big grin.

A ported throttle body is usually a better deal than a newer one. On my 97, my stock throttle body was 75mm across, after porting it's 78mm. this may not sound like much, but there's a cross-sectional area difference of 3.6 cm^2. (about the size of a nickel MORE airflow) I noticed a sharp increase in throttle response after installing mine. Don't bother with the 80mm TBs or bigger until you get a cam or heads or both.

Your stock MAF sensor is rated to support up to 500 hp. until you get there, there's no need to mess with it. If you just have to tinker with it, get the ABS MAF sensor housing.

I also have the throttle body bypass. It certainly doesn't hurt to do this mod....unless you don't wait for the car to cool down. (don't ask how i know this ;) )

·
Registered
151 Posts
1. C5 stinger cold air intake.
2. Larger throttle body ...size? (suggestions)
3. Maybe new MAF if needed. (suggestions)
1 is fine. 2 and 3 are junk.

I'd keep your car stock for a little while until you get a feel for what you like and what you might want to change.

Congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
1 is fine. 2 and 3 are junk.

I'd keep your car stock for a little while until you get a feel for what you like and what you might want to change.

Congrats on the new ride. :thumbsup:
:agree:

A rough estimate of the cost of additional HP on a C5 is $60-$80 per RWHP gained (e.g. for 100 additional RWHP you can expect to spend $6000-$8000), so HP mods that provide real gains are not cheap.

Remember (and this has been said many, many times on this forum and it sticks with me) the most important mod is the driver:cheers:

·
Registered
618 Posts

A rough estimate of the cost of additional HP on a C5 is $60-$80 per RWHP gained (e.g. for 100 additional RWHP you can expect to spend $6000-$8000), so HP mods that provide real gains are not cheap.

Remember (and this has been said many, many times on this forum and it sticks with me) the most important mod is the driver:cheers:
I disagree. After several cost comparisons of various bolt-on performance mods, i've concluded that the average $/rwhp gain is somwhere around $25-30 per rwhp. (this is good ONLY to about 500 rwhp) once you start getting into the more advanced modifications that require machining and usually professional install, then the price goes up. for instance: the price of a Maggie supercharger is ~$5000 for an additional 120rwhp which equates to about $42/rwhp (these prices however doesn't include installation costs)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I disagree. After several cost comparisons of various bolt-on performance mods, i've concluded that the average $/rwhp gain is somwhere around $25-30 per rwhp. (this is good ONLY to about 500 rwhp) once you start getting into the more advanced modifications that require machining and usually professional install, then the price goes up. for instance: the price of a Maggie supercharger is ~$5000 for an additional 120rwhp which equates to about $42/rwhp (these prices however doesn't include installation costs)
Point well taken, Radioflyer. My estimate (not exactly accurate, of course:laughing: ) take into account the labor to install the bolt ons since most of us out here (more than most will admit, myself included :laughing: ) lack the requisite mechanical skills to perform such major mod installs.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mod help

I would like to thank all you guys for the great input.

I have decided and ordered for performance the Vararam VR-B2 Ram Air Intake, VR-3 Velocity Stack, Highflow Power Duct w/ Smooth Coupler, Throttle Body Bypass.
For effects I ordered Blackout kit, and Screens for now.

I start modding this weekend, and I hope to have some pics soon.

Next will be exhaust.

Then probably divorce.........

Thanks Again all.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

I have decided and ordered for performance the Vararam VR-B2 Ram Air Intake, VR-3 Velocity Stack, Highflow Power Duct w/ Smooth Coupler, Throttle Body Bypass.

Next will be exhaust.

Thanks Again all.

Sounds good man:thumbsup: Can't wait for pics. Don't forget to be patient. Trust me.

Josh

·
Registered
618 Posts

Next will be exhaust.

Thanks Again all.

divorce...lol
You might want to consider asking your wife to assist with your modding. She just may get a kick out of it... or at least appreciate the thought. My girlfriend helps me out all the time.

Reguarding the side screens (if you got the complete kit) While it is possible to install them from the outside with the wheels on, i HIGHLY suggest removing the wheels and inner wheelwell panel to get them properly positioned and make sure they'll stick.

Here's a good source for installing the Vararam:
http://www.cajundude.com/vararam.htm

best of luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mod help

Hey radioflyer97,

Excellent install instructions and pics.

....Thanks

Just kidding about the divorce, she would'nt ever want to leave the vette.
lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
the price of a Maggie supercharger is ~$5000 for an additional 120rwhp which equates to about $42/rwhp (these prices however doesn't include installation costs)
That price doesn't include a lot of things. Like a hood which is upwards of $2,000 by the time you get it properly paint matched. What about larger injectors, or a boost gauge, or an upgraded fuel pump, or a PCV catch can, or a clutch, or hardened output shaft, etc, etc.. You have to look at the total cost of a package, not just one of the components.

Let's say you buy a turbo kit for $9,000. You're still looking at another $10,000 easy for a forged motor, worked over cylinder heads, application specific cam, upgraded transmission, gauges, yada, yada, yada.

$25 per hp might be fine for the first 20 or 30 hp (air filter, long tube headers, and a cat back), but after that it starts to get expensive real quick.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That price doesn't include a lot of things. Like a hood which is upwards of $2,000 by the time you get it properly paint matched. What about larger injectors, or a boost gauge, or an upgraded fuel pump, or a PCV catch can, or a clutch, or hardened output shaft, etc, etc.. You have to look at the total cost of a package, not just one of the components.

Let's say you buy a turbo kit for $9,000. You're still looking at another $10,000 easy for a forged motor, worked over cylinder heads, application specific cam, upgraded transmission, gauges, yada, yada, yada.

$25 per hp might be fine for the first 20 or 30 hp (air filter, long tube headers, and a cat back), but after that it starts to get expensive real quick.

I figured 500 rwhp is the most you can get from all the bolt on mods....anything after is going to require serious investment. (probably should have use a different example FI like the centrifugal models that don't require a hood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts