1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have not bee here in a while.
How you all doing?

I wanted some advice. I am looking for a turbo package for my 1987 with a stock L98.

I have seen a package from Synergistics, but I' not sure what it really comes with.

I am trying to decide if I want a turbo package or a ProCharger. What do you guys think would be better?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Welcome back! :cheers:

I just got back into the action myself.

Both systems have pluses and minuses. Just so you don't have to go to another link I copied the following from "Howstuffworks".

The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor (see How Gas Turbine Engines Work for details).

There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive.
I've been a passenger of both types (both C5's) and honestly I like the supercharger better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Yeah,
I've been researching both.

I do have very low end torque right now.

I am looking for more top end power.

I can't keep up with my friends turbo'd Civic from a roll, which sucks.
He is boosting about 10 psi.

I like the turbo because I think I have more flexibility. If I mod the engine internally I can boost more. The superchargers kick in right away.

I like both, the supercharger looks cleaner from a setup point of view.
The both cost about the same, I think

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I am doing a supercharger on my car I chose that from a cost standpoint. I haven't seen a turbo set up for our cars that seems very well engineered. They all seem cobbled together I also didn't like the underhood temps created from the turbo. I am about 95% done with my install so I can't speak to it's performance yet but I will tell you no matter how good the deal seems buy new not used. I bought a used unit and got screwed on the deal. Parts missing and it's been a real headache, to the point that I walked out of the garage and didn't even unlock the door for a month. But when it is all said and done life will be good.:thumbsup:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Steve, you're doing a supercharger!? :thud:

I would have killed for one. :devil:

You are right about underhood temps. The C5 turbo I rode in had an aftermarket hood to help eliminate heat. Another unwanted cost if it were me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am starting to save up and get ready for a supercharger build. Since I have a manual tranny I got the Dana44 rear so it should handle the 500+ RWHP that the supercharger will produce from my 383.:thud:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts