Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting close to finishing my "68" and the last thing I thought I would be pulling my hair out over is the driver side sport mirror:thud: The rubber inserts inside the door panel are good and the bracket mounts firmly to the door. The problem I'm running into is when I slide the mirror over the bracket and install the base mounting screw into the bottom of the mirror, it will not tighten down the mirror. I run the screw in until its tight but the mirror sits on the bracket really loose, the mirror isn't tightening on the bracket . What am I missing?!?!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
maybe the screw/bolt is too long and bottoming out.
i would toss a couple small washers under the bolt and
see if that helps--or maybe get a shorter bolt....

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I converted my mirrors over to C6 type but I used to have a 69 with stock mirrors. Forgive me if I'm remembering the 62 I also used to have.

As I recall there is a recess/angle on one side of the mirror mount and a corresponding tab/edge on the mirror. You have to get the tab/edge inside/under the recess and rotate the mirror down until the screw lines up.

If you don't get the tab/edge under the recess/angle of the mount the mirror just flops around on the screw.

I have an NOS mirror mount around here someplace, I'll dig it out and confirm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll double check if I'm lining the tab up correctly under the mount. Hope thats the problem because your describing how the mirror acts every time I've attached it. My next solution will be to fab up a backing washer on the mirror mount so it has some thing to tighten up against. I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
I dug out the mirror mount and didn't find a notch for a mirror tab. It must have been the earlier model I was thinking of.
Sorry for the misinformation.....

PM me your address and I'll send you the mount. You're welcome to it (freebie). Maybe yours is worn.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had the same problem.
To be honest I think we are experiencing a problem here with poorly made re-pops...
If you tighten the tapered screw to tighten the mirror and you get it relatively tight,a bit more of a turn will crack the tapered hole the screw goes through. I get mine to where they are snug and leave them. In a month or so,repeat as needed but do not over tighten!!!
NOS would be best!
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts