Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nice little 1990 base model C4 with an automatic transmission with an unusual problem. Drove the thing home, almost, had to tow it the last mile. The fuel filter was in serious need of replacement.
While searching around under the dashboard to find the connector so that an analyzer could be connected. I could not find it. Figuring that the previous owner covered the connector up with carpeting I removed the under-dash cover. There was no analyzer connector whatsoever but there was a wad or wire nuts about the size of my fist. What the reason for all of this re-wiring was for I have no idea since everything worked. The yellow wire cable that is clearly marked as being for the steering wheel air bag was not only NOT connected, but cut as well. Yeah, I know, I should have test crashed the car first to make sure the thing was safe to drive but you just don't think of doing those things at the time of purchase.

Whoever screwed this car over was a professional pimp.

I am not too concerned with my ability to repair the damage but I am worried that the second I reconnect the battery the first thing I'm going to hear is $1000 worth of Inflatable Restraint System going off.

Can anyone direct me to the correct wiring diagram or know of anyplace I can find a replacement under-dash wiring harness?

Thanks

·
DC Crew
13,185 Posts
If the air bag wire is cut it will not fire. There is no power going to the bag.

Was the air bag light on? iIf not someone has pulled the bulb from it

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Can anyone direct me to the correct wiring diagram or know of anyplace I can find a replacement under-dash wiring harness?
If it is that bad a mess you are going to need the Factory service manuals with the detailed circuit breakdowns or look for a dash harness from a Vette wrecker

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links guys. Really do appreciate the information. I know a little about older automotive electronics and that is if in doubt, throw it out. But this computer stuff is different and DAMNED expensive. Some things don't react too well to being hit with a hammer like they used to. Unlike this chair Im sitting on that decided it wants to be a stool all of a sudden. It will react very well to a beating. :laughing:

The engine ran like a watch. Very smooth at idle but a genuine bitch to keep running when in gear. That computer must have been tripping all over itself to keep that engine alive. The injectors all check out between 16 and 11 ohms which from what I understand is within acceptable tolerances. But first things first, get that thing running. Everything under the distributer rotor has been replaced. Pick-up coil, module, and capacitor. Ignition coil tested out okay. We have an 88 Chevy truck that acted the same way once and replacing those ignition parts cleared up a lot of grief.

One thing though, the tach reads three times the actual engine RPM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts