Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 year ago i took the Corvette to a car wash, when it left the wash I could not start it, tried and tried and a loud grinding noise would sound. Finally got it started and a loud engine knock happened, i could barely drive it, had to be towed home, code was multiple misfire. Finally got around to looking at it again, changed the spark plug wires, now the engine has a loud knock coming from the drivers side but no CEL. its not drivable, IDK what could be wrong with it now, now the starter is grinding and wont even start the car anymore, so i need to fix that but I need to know what could be causing this crazy knock! Im so lost, no codes or anything. my video

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
It don't sound good at all.
Like the Engine Main Bearings are Wiped out and a Bad Coonecting rod bearing or it spun engine bearings.

Potential other issues are a broken Flexplate.
Loose Drive plate bolts nuts.
Bad Camshaft position sensor or bad crankshaft position sensor.

If it spun engine bearings its dragging real hard to turn over and likely took out the Crank sensor.

How did it run before you **** the engine off 1 year ago ?

What I would do is drain the engine oil.
Cut the Filter open and look for metallic trash metal.

If it died its not really worth rebuilding when you can get another LS Engine used.

Go through the used engine and rebuild it.
Want to get it low cost.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Need to Troubleshoot.

Sounds like it died.
Hope not.

When they Go a LS Engine they die a Horrific death.
Only heads and intake can be saved.

Good engines otherwise.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Try Removing the Serpentine Belt.
The Valeo Made Alternator may have failed Locked up.

Never seen it happen on a C5 Corvette but that Valeo is kind of a Crappy Alternator.

Seen alternators fail on 4 cylinder and other daily drivers causing the engine to drag on engine cranking startup and banging sounds .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts