Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/20...buse-should-have-prevented-gun-purchase-.html

Schumer Says Loughner's Drug Abuse Should Have Prevented Gun Purchase
January 16, 2011 2:23 PM

PrintRSSShare:EmailMoreFarkTechnoratiGoogleLiveMy SpaceNewsvineRedditDeliciousMixxYahooABC News' Matthew Jaffe reports:

In the aftermath of the Tucson tragedy, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Sunday that the military should inform the FBI's national database when they reject someone for drug abuse, a move that he believes would have prevented Jared Loughner from buying a gun.

In a letter to the Obama administration, Schumer said the military should notify the FBI when someone is rejected for illegal drug use, something that the military is not currently required to do.

“Had this reporting requirement been in place, Loughner would likely have been prevented from purchasing a firearm. We should fix this reporting loophole so that future tragedies can be prevented,” Schumer wrote in his letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and ATF Acting Director Kenneth Melson.

In an appearance this morning on NBC's "Meet the Press," Schumer talked about his letter and said he will sit with Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., at the upcoming State of the Union, heeding the call of Sen. Mark Udall, D-Colo., for lawmakers from both parties to sit together at the address. Schumer and Coburn join a growing group of lawmakers making the bipartisan gesture - others include Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore. and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H.

Schumer's full letter to the administration is below:

January 16, 2011

Eric H. Holder, Jr.

Attorney General

U.S. Department of Justice

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20530

Kenneth E. Melson

Acting Director

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

99 New York Ave, NE Mail Stop 5.S-144

Washington, DC 20226

Dear Attorney General Holder and Director Melson:

I write today regarding the tragic events which took place this past Saturday in Tucson, Arizona. I believe that this senseless and savage attack requires a reexamination of whom we allow to purchase firearms.

As you know, current federal law explicitly prohibits the sale or transfer of a firearm to “an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance” (18 USC 922(d)(3)). It has been widely reported that the alleged shooter, Jared L. Loughner, was known to be a regular user of illicit drugs. Indeed, in news reports earlier this week, Army officials confirmed that the gunman was prevented from enlisting in the military because he admitted to using marijuana excessively in his interview with a recruiter. Just as this admission barred his entrance to the military, it should also have disqualified him from purchasing a firearm.

I therefore urge you to examine the issued regulations regarding the legal definition of a drug abuser, and clarify them to include situations in which individuals make an admission of illicit drug use to agents of the federal government, such as military recruiters. In addition, we urge the administration to order military recruiters and other agents of the federal government to report such admissions to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in the future.

Had this reporting requirement been in place, Loughner would likely have been prevented from purchasing a firearm. We should fix this reporting loophole so that future tragedies can be prevented.

Thank you for your prompt consideration and attention to this important matter. I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer"

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-...-co-workers-loughner-had-curious-dark-change/

Loughner was arrested in 2007 on a charge of possessing drug paraphernalia."

"Loughner's Ex-Girlfriend: He Had a Temper and Did DrugsJan 13, 2011 ... Figueroa says the entire time she dated Loughner, she was not allowed inside his home. The two broke up because of his drug use and temper"

I'm i'm i'm shocked......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Loughner would have gotten a gun one way or another, that's what criminals do. He simply chose the path of least resistance as perceived by him.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
What a ridiculous law/regulation... that will do nothing -nothing to stop this from happening again. If it wasn't a gun... it would have been a car. I'm so tired of the hoopin and hollering that takes place (primarily by those of the left ideology) -every time some nut ball pops his top and kills more then one at a time. There are 300 + million people living in this country. Unless you are willing to tie everyone to a tree... this **** is going to happen. The answer to the "nut ball" dilemma, is not to limit law biding gun owners through regulation... but the exact opposite.

You want the government to do something that will have a positive outcome (for once)... have them train a large swath of society (1 in every 50) to keep, carry and conceal, in every private venue from the mall to the bus stop... for the explicit purpose of the societies protection. Part two... any gun used in any crime... 100 years in a hard labor camp. Period... no if and or buts about it.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
WRONG!!!! The 4473 asks if you are a CURRENT user of illegal/recreational drugs...

The way I read it that means that it's asking if I'm high at the time of purchase...:laughing:

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
alright, we've actually covered both ends of the spectrum in this thread: the crazies that want to take guns away from everyone, and the crazies that want to give guns to everyone. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Why not...? They give permission to tool around in a 2 ton, 100+ mph, machine... that is just as capable of killing in the wrong hands, as a gun -and they allow it for the vast majority of society as long as they have had the minimal amount of training.

Why not firearms ?

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
You could look at 1000 murders and identify one thing you could have done preemptively to prevent the murders and make laws to fix those loopholes, and the next day there would be the same number of murders as every other day. There are an infinite number of ways to accomplish a murder if somone is determined and you can't figure them all out and prevent them with laws. This is just the left thinking the way it always thinks: That if they are just smart enough, they can run everyone's lives and make life pain free. It never works.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Schumer's grand standing to get a little attention. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
You could look at 1000 murders and identify one thing you could have done preemptively to prevent the murders and make laws to fix those loopholes, and the next day there would be the same number of murders as every other day. There are an infinite number of ways to accomplish a murder if somone is determined and you can't figure them all out and prevent them with laws.
But the left thinks they are smarter than everyone...even themselves...smart enough that if they can just get a little more money, and a little more regulation and power, they can fix everything...:laughing:
This is just the left thinking the way it always thinks: That if they are just smart enough, they can run everyone's lives and make life pain free. It never works.
:agree:
Problem is they don't understand that in trying to fix something that ain't broke, you just break it or render it useless. They think that taking pain and spreading it around is fixing it. They think it is acceptable to substitute 'safety' for liberty. And it shows everywhere. From this proposed legislation to grabbing economic freedom...it's all an attempt to keep us 'safe'...

They can't accept they are what we need to be kept safe from.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:huh:

you guys are kinda off topic.........

Again........

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
How so ? It's all within context.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts