Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another "proof positive" instance of how full of crap environmentalists are... :laughing:

San Francisco's big push for low-flow toilets has turned into a multimillion-dollar plumbing stink.

Skimping on toilet water has resulted in more sludge backing up inside the sewer pipes, said Tyrone Jue, spokesman for the city Public Utilities Commission. That has created a rotten-egg stench near AT&T Park and elsewhere, especially during the dry summer months.

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Now officials are stocking up on a $14 million, three-year supply of highly concentrated sodium hypochlorite - better known as bleach - to act as an odor eater and to disinfect the city's treated water before it's dumped into the bay. It will also be used to sanitize drinking water.

That translates into 8.5 million pounds of bleach either being poured down city drains or into the drinking water supply every year.

Not everybody thinks it's a good idea.

A Don't Bleach Our Bay alert has just gone out from eco-blogger Adam Lowry who argues the city would be much better off using a disinfectant like hydrogen peroxide - or better yet, a solution that would naturally break down the bacteria.

As for whether the supposedly environmentally friendly, low-flow toilets are worth the trouble? Well, according to Jue, they have helped trim San Francisco's annual water consumption by about 20 million gallons.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/27/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL#ixzz1FJwx0mtA

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
They need to make signs to hang in the stalls...

"Be nice and flush twice" :thumbsup:
Or three or four times... :laughing:

Ever use one of these? :rolleyes: The inventor and anyone that puts a law in to force requiring use of these should be shot.

Unless your just doing number one, they are a joke.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
My "new" 1.4 gallon per flush water closet requires two flushes on many occasions.;) It replaced my old commode that used 2 1/4 gallons per flush but it worked every time. I now use 2.8 gallons (two flushes) to theoretically save water. I don't get the math. Maybe I need less bran or I need to become a Democrat so I won't be quite so full of it.:D

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
Yet another "proof positive" instance of how full of crap environmentalists are... :laughing:

San Francisco's big push for low-flow toilets has turned into a multimillion-dollar plumbing stink.

Skimping on toilet water has resulted in more sludge backing up inside the sewer pipes, said Tyrone Jue, spokesman for the city Public Utilities Commission. That has created a rotten-egg stench near AT&T Park and elsewhere, especially during the dry summer months.

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Now officials are stocking up on a $14 million, three-year supply of highly concentrated sodium hypochlorite - better known as bleach - to act as an odor eater and to disinfect the city's treated water before it's dumped into the bay. It will also be used to sanitize drinking water.

That translates into 8.5 million pounds of bleach either being poured down city drains or into the drinking water supply every year.

Not everybody thinks it's a good idea.

A Don't Bleach Our Bay alert has just gone out from eco-blogger Adam Lowry who argues the city would be much better off using a disinfectant like hydrogen peroxide - or better yet, a solution that would naturally break down the bacteria.

As for whether the supposedly environmentally friendly, low-flow toilets are worth the trouble? Well, according to Jue, they have helped trim San Francisco's annual water consumption by about 20 million gallons.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/27/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL#ixzz1FJwx0mtA
You simply never fail to amaze me in how hatefull and ignorant you can be at the same time. You live in a state where water is brought to you from hundreds of miles away and people can be shot for stealing it, yet you condemn a plan that has worked to save 20 million gallons of fresh water a year. The real stupidity in San Francisco and everywhere else for that mater is that they continue to use clean drinking water to flush **** down a toilet. Clean drinking water is becoming harder and harder to find, yet you highlight an article that bitches about a bad smell in one part of the city and blames a program that saved 20 million gallons of water. Perhaps the idiots running the sewar system could imagine pumping some extra bay water through that part of the system to flush out the smelly stuff....no that would be too simple...lets just pour millions of gallons of bleach into the system instead.

Your hatred of all things environmental is ignorant and completely foolish especialy when you live in an area that is basicaly desert most of the year and completely over populated for the environment and constantly on the verge of burning away. If you could ever give credit where credit is due even once, I could take you a bit seriously but your constant vendetas and hate speach make your oppinion a joke. I feel sorry for people like you because you are eating yourself up inside and your bitterness and hate will kill you one day. And until that day comes you will try your best to make everybody around you, just like you...bitter and hatefull.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
My "new" 1.4 gallon per flush water closet requires two flushes on many occasions.;) It replaced my old commode that used 2 1/4 gallons per flush but it worked every time. I now use 2.8 gallons (two flushes) to theoretically save water. I don't get the math. Maybe I need less bran or I need to become a Democrat so I won't be quite so full of it.:D
How many times do you **** a day??? How many times do you piss a day??? If you are like most human beings you **** once or twice a day and piss 6 to 8 times a day. Even if you have to flush twice when you **** and just once when you piss you have saved about 5 gallons a day. Many of the people here have to pay for water and sewar, so that five gallons not only saves water but money too. But fear not...toilet companies have come to realize how lazy the average american is and now makes toilets that have two flush modes one for solids(thats ****) and one for non-solids. Press the solids button and the toilet completely empties and flushes your proudest creations right down. Press the non-solids button and the piss you just took is gone too. These toilets use even less than the 1.4 gallons for the non-solids flush so the extra load of the solids flush is more than made up for. Perhaps that will help you with the math, sport.;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You simply never fail to amaze me in how hatefull and ignorant you can be at the same time. You live in a state where water is brought to you from hundreds of miles away and people can be shot for stealing it, yet you condemn a plan that has worked to save 20 million gallons of fresh water a year. The real stupidity in San Francisco and everywhere else for that mater is that they continue to use clean drinking water to flush **** down a toilet. Clean drinking water is becoming harder and harder to find, yet you highlight an article that bitches about a bad smell in one part of the city and blames a program that saved 20 million gallons of water. Perhaps the idiots running the sewar system could imagine pumping some extra bay water through that part of the system to flush out the smelly stuff....no that would be too simple...lets just pour millions of gallons of bleach into the system instead.

Your hatred of all things environmental is ignorant and completely foolish especialy when you live in an area that is basicaly desert most of the year and completely over populated for the environment and constantly on the verge of burning away. If you could ever give credit where credit is due even once, I could take you a bit seriously but your constant vendetas and hate speach make your oppinion a joke. I feel sorry for people like you because you are eating yourself up inside and your bitterness and hate will kill you one day. And until that day comes you will try your best to make everybody around you, just like you...bitter and hatefull.

Well Stated !!!

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
How many times do you **** a day??? How many times do you piss a day??? If you are like most human beings you **** once or twice a day and piss 6 to 8 times a day. Even if you have to flush twice when you **** and just once when you piss you have saved about 5 gallons a day. Many of the people here have to pay for water and sewar, so that five gallons not only saves water but money too. But fear not...toilet companies have come to realize how lazy the average american is and now makes toilets that have two flush modes one for solids(thats ****) and one for non-solids. Press the solids button and the toilet completely empties and flushes your proudest creations right down. Press the non-solids button and the piss you just took is gone too. These toilets use even less than the 1.4 gallons for the non-solids flush so the extra load of the solids flush is more than made up for. Perhaps that will help you with the math, sport.;)
As long as we're getting down the nitty gritty here....there is another issue. Even if you try to go light on the toilet paper, the low-flows are constantly stopping up. That means getting out the plunger, or at least the brush and opening the thing up. For the first 50 years of my life, I had to unstop a toilet about once a year. Now it's every 3 or 4 days. If California has a water shortage, maybe it's worth the aggravation. But the law covers the entire country whether water is in short supply or not. A perfect example of over reach by the Federal Government. This should be a local issue.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what, brother... I'm going to let this one go. I'm going to allow your own words to glimpse your intellect and intelligence. Most notably in your ability to retain memory and your knowledge of seemingly any other state in this country, that can not be seen from your backyard... -this, in addition, to not having a sliver of comprehension -in the articles message.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
As long as we're getting down the nitty gritty here....there is another issue. Even if you try to go light on the toilet paper, the low-flows are constantly stopping up. That means getting out the plunger, or at least the brush and opening the thing up. For the first 50 years of my life, I had to unstop a toilet about once a year. Now it's every 3 or 4 days. If California has a water shortage, maybe it's worth the aggravation. But the law covers the entire country whether water is in short supply or not. A perfect example of over reach by the Federal Government. This should be a local issue.

Considering that Texas is projected to have even more trouble than California, when it comes to water availability, I would think that you would be impacted any way.

I too have had problems with low flow toilets clogging. I asked a plumber friend about it and he told me that not all low flush toilets are equal. He told me to go to my local toilet store (ie: Lowes or Home depot) and look at the flush strength numbers. I replaced my clog prone toilet witha Kohler toilet with a high flush strength and have not had any more clogging problems.

The secret lies in two areas...flush valve size and outlet size. The Flush valve determines how fast the water leaves the tank and does its thing. The outlet size determines how much (material) can fit throug the toilet and how fast it can get pushed into your sewar lines. The best flush strength numbers are 8-10 with the cheap seats comming in at 2-3. If you bought your current low flow toilet thinking that a toilet is a toilet then you probably bought a cheap toilet with poor flush strength. Replace it and your plunging days will be over. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
great.. now I have to be worried about updating the technology on my crapper...

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Considering that Texas is projected to have even more trouble than California, when it comes to water availability, I would think that you would be impacted any way.

I too have had problems with low flow toilets clogging. I asked a plumber friend about it and he told me that not all low flush toilets are equal. He told me to go to my local toilet store (ie: Lowes or Home depot) and look at the flush strength numbers. I replaced my clog prone toilet witha Kohler toilet with a high flush strength and have not had any more clogging problems.

The secret lies in two areas...flush valve size and outlet size. The Flush valve determines how fast the water leaves the tank and does its thing. The outlet size determines how much (material) can fit throug the toilet and how fast it can get pushed into your sewar lines. The best flush strength numbers are 8-10 with the cheap seats comming in at 2-3. If you bought your current low flow toilet thinking that a toilet is a toilet then you probably bought a cheap toilet with poor flush strength. Replace it and your plunging days will be over. :thumbsup:
When I had my new dental office built two years ago, I had a small private toilet built off of my office. When it came time to install the toilets, the contractor said he had an extra "power-flush" toilet on his truck and he installed it in my privy at no extra charge. Let me say, this is flush heaven. I don't know exactly how it works, but the tank has a big black bladder of some kind in it. When it flushes, it sounds like one of those cruise ship toilets that flush up with a giant whoosh. There are solutions, to be sure.

As for TX, it depends on where you go. N. Texas where I live gets a fair amount of rain, and our reservoirs generally stay full. But weather variation will give us a dry spring or two in a row and we really draw down those reservoirs. So, most of the time water is abundant, but every now and then we have to go into conservation mode. We are in permanent conservation mode as far as irrigating yards. We have to water between 6 pm and 10 am.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
:laughing: We got a matched set of Kohler crappers, the one in the master bath has no problems. We've learned to do the courtesy flush before starting any paperwork. My son, daughter, grandchildren & company are continually choking off the other one though. We've also learned that the thick Charmin butt wipe requires constant porcelain Heimlich attention.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
When I had my new dental office built two years ago, I had a small private toilet built off of my office. When it came time to install the toilets, the contractor said he had an extra "power-flush" toilet on his truck and he installed it in my privy at no extra charge. Let me say, this is flush heaven. I don't know exactly how it works, but the tank has a big black bladder of some kind in it. When it flushes, it sounds like one of those cruise ship toilets that flush up with a giant whoosh. There are solutions, to be sure.

As for TX, it depends on where you go. N. Texas where I live gets a fair amount of rain, and our reservoirs generally stay full. But weather variation will give us a dry spring or two in a row and we really draw down those reservoirs. So, most of the time water is abundant, but every now and then we have to go into conservation mode. We are in permanent conservation mode as far as irrigating yards. We have to water between 6 pm and 10 am.
And as the population in Texas grows the stress on your water reserves will get higher and higher. If your reservoirs ever go completely dry, even for a few days, you will discover a new meaning to the term civilization. These water saving measures are realy the least we can do as our population grows. Zero water usage for waste removal should be a new priority. The zero water urinals are a huge success, and compostable toilets are a great solution to both water shortages and waste disposal problems. But in order to get to more efficient ways of dealing with these issues we have to open our eyes and our minds to the problems and new solutions. In the begining the solutions will have some inconveinences and problems of their own just like any new technology, but as the solutions age and improve, they will become second nature and accepted by all. The attempt to stop this foward motion to be less damadging to our surroundings and our environment is dangerous and ignorant. It is like the people who oppesed the automobile, the airplane, and electricity. They were afraid of new technology and so campaigned against it. But thier fear came from ignorance and superstition. We must at all cost defend ourselves from people like that because we need to embrace the future and the technologies that will help us see a better future....even if that future is just a more efficient toilet.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Now Tex, remember that "the Machine is from Jersey so he knows ALL about what's good for the eco-system. After all, they have the most people per square mile of any state, 108 TOXIC waste dumps (more than any other state), and more cars are stolen in Newark than in New York City and Los Angeles combined.

Mr. Machine, I don't typically count how many times I use the rest room per day but I'm self-contained with a properly functioning septic system so it's really invenereal. I also usually am working outside so that's where I pee. Only the horses will see me and I make them feel bad if they look.:D Auto theft, nope not much at all around here. If I go on two weeks vacation I don't lock either my house or my cars. No need. My neighbors would certainly shoot anyone attempting to steal something.

It's going to be hard to lecture anyone on their state's current eco-practices until you get your house in order. Maybe Jersey should set the example for the rest of us. We'd all look pretty good. Of course, that's just the math talking and as always, IMHO.;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
And as the population in Texas grows the stress on your water reserves will get higher and higher. If your reservoirs ever go completely dry, even for a few days, you will discover a new meaning to the term civilization. These water saving measures are realy the least we can do as our population grows. Zero water usage for waste removal should be a new priority. The zero water urinals are a huge success, and compostable toilets are a great solution to both water shortages and waste disposal problems. But in order to get to more efficient ways of dealing with these issues we have to open our eyes and our minds to the problems and new solutions. In the begining the solutions will have some inconveinences and problems of their own just like any new technology, but as the solutions age and improve, they will become second nature and accepted by all. The attempt to stop this foward motion to be less damadging to our surroundings and our environment is dangerous and ignorant. It is like the people who oppesed the automobile, the airplane, and electricity. They were afraid of new technology and so campaigned against it. But thier fear came from ignorance and superstition. We must at all cost defend ourselves from people like that because we need to embrace the future and the technologies that will help us see a better future....even if that future is just a more efficient toilet.
I understand what you are saying. But I still feel like the water issue is not one that needs national rules. Many areas have abundant water, and an extra gallon to flush is immaterial to their water supply. Others need all of the conservation they can get. Why should those who live in areas with abundant water have to put up with the aggravation of mini-flushes just because someone in Washington D.C. is too lazy to differentiate between water rich and water poor areas? The feds should have stayed out of this one.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
, the contractor said he had an extra "power-flush" toilet on his truck and he installed it in my privy at no extra charge. Let me say, this is flush heaven. I don't know exactly how it works, but the tank has a big black bladder of some kind in it. When it flushes, it sounds like one of those cruise ship toilets that flush up with a giant whoosh.
I had one of those in my last house. Damn thing would swallow a softball if you tried! Problem was it woke up the entire household if you flushed at night. :laughing:

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
I understand what you are saying. But I still feel like the water issue is not one that needs national rules. Many areas have abundant water, and an extra gallon to flush is immaterial to their water supply. Others need all of the conservation they can get. Why should those who live in areas with abundant water have to put up with the aggravation of mini-flushes just because someone in Washington D.C. is too lazy to differentiate between water rich and water poor areas? The feds should have stayed out of this one.
We are in an area that was once considered blessed with abundent water. But as in most places as population grew so did water problems. It is far better to deal with these problems before they become huge problems. This is one case where the government did the right thing and no-one is realy hurt by it.

The main problem with making these rules local only is that as you and I well know, people would go to great lengths to get a regular old fashioned toilet from somewhere that water is abundent and install it in the drought stricken areas. This would make the water problems enforcable only by painfull intrusions into people's homes to inspect for compliance and then large fines. How would you take such an inspection??

As our population grows and our food demands and those of the world grow too, it only makes sense that we do all we can to conserve our limited fresh water for the most important uses. Flushing our turds should not be one of them.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
This thread rocks...

Now you all are arguing about poo......:laughing:

madness.....:rolling:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts