Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Anybody Tell Me Where The Temp Sending Unit Is Located For Oil Temp On A 1987 L98? It Nevers Says Anything But Low And If It's Not That What Else Should I Look At? And Is There Any Way To Turn On The Cold Start Fuel Injector After The Engine Is Warmed Up?

·
Registered
724 Posts
On my 85, the sensor is located on the back of the engine where the pressure sending unit is. Why would you want to turn on the cold start injector after the motor is warm. The cold start injector is controlled by the MEMCAL. Once it goes into closed loop, it switches to the EPROM and the cold start injector is turned off.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I can only go so far with performance modifications before the operating parameters of the stock fuel injectors will be surpassed I am wondering if that cold start injector could be used to enrich the fuel mixture to allow a proper air fuel ratio under wide open throttle operation when extra air is applied. I know it sounds pretty far fetched but what the heck it's already there. And if it's only triggered say with a switch at full throttle it would add more fuel to make more power.

·
Registered
724 Posts
When you go to wide open throttle, the computer goes to a full rich condition anyways to insure there is never a lean condition. A perfect air fuel ratio is 14.7:1 and your computer constantly tries to reach that ratio. Except during start up, and at wide open throttle. If you have done no mods to your vehicle, then that would only hurt your perfomance. Too much fuel can hurt an engine by causing carbon build up on your plugs, valves, etc. Real rich settings can actually damage your piston rings which is refered to as cylinder washing. If you have done mods to your engine and feel you need more fuel, you can go to bigger injectors or have your chip reprogammed. but be careful not to go overboard.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I guess in theory it could work, but it would be very hard to control the amount of fuel it would inject. Too much fuel can wash the cylinder walls and damage your rings. With all the available size injectors and custom chips you can buy, there is a never ending amount of fuel delivery upgrades you can do. Whatever horse power you want to achieve, someone makes the parts to get you there. Just remember 14.7:1 is considered the perfect air fuel ratio, and without something regulating the amount of fuel you are putting in the engine, you could cause serious damage.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Goal Is To Make As Much Power As Possible Without Replacing The Stock Fuel Injectors Or Burning A Chip To Run My Engine. I Need To Make 50 Additional Hp. I Want To Add A Rear Mounted Turbo And Only Use A Very Small Amount Of Boost. To Answer Your Next Question No I Am Not Going To Buy An Expensive Turbo Kit. I Plan To Use A Turbo From A V8 Diesel Truck An Aftermarket Elecrtic Oil Pump To Scavenage The Oil Back To The Engine. I Will Shop For Blow Off Valves And Waste Gates. I Have Read About A Guy That Already Did This And He Used Pvc Pipe For Boost Delivery. I Plan To Use Two And One Half Inch Exhaust Pipe. The Pipe Will Fit In The Rocker Panel On My C4 Because Of The C5 Body Kit. I Am Trying For A High 12 Second Reliable Street Car. My Budget For This Is $500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.