Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question!

My car came up with a low oil warning tonight. I've had this happen about twice before. Yet, its only been about around 2200 miles since my last oil change, the oil is still a bit clean. I changed it in January, so its been a lil while. I checked it and it does seem right on the border and another try seemed fine, but im no expert.

Ive only just started driving it every day again now that the weather permits and its not like im even pounding it hard through this oil change.Specially since this was a winter oil where I didnt use the car much. I never really have - 25,700 miles on original tires (I think ill need new ones soon enough) Only drive hard in the summer up here in NY. =)

Now that I think about it, I guess I do drive it a bit rough, at least on the highway I have no guilt about go over 6000rpm in 3rd gear to make sure I get ahead of THAT DAMN JERSEY DRIVER GOING 63 in the LEFT LANE and theres 5 SEMIS blocking the other two lol Also have you guys noticed people dont understand what the acceleration lane is for on a damn on ramp? They jump across two lanes going 35 and speeding up like miss daisy!

So I'm wondering if you guys think its odd for my car to burn oil? I remember reading the 01 Z was a disaster with this, but that isn't supposed to be the case with my 02.

Also my damn fuel gauge not reading my gas again. Im picking up BG44 to see if that cleans the sensor. The first time it happened Goodwrench reset the PCM. I mentioned the bg44 sulpher to the mechanic and he said, thatll probably fix it lol (and hes my service dude??) I learned that by asking here lol

Regardless, the reason im writing this is because I love my car and want to make sure I take care of it, even if im no expert! :D

Thanks

·
996 Posts
I dont know about the buring oil thing..

But the way to fix you gas guage is to put a small bottle of high quality 2 cycle eginge oil in your gas tank when you fill up. I dont remember the exact size of the bottle, but I think it is like a 10th of a quart or so. My gauge used to mess up too, but running one tank through with that little bit of 2 cycle oil cleared the problem right up. Apparently the oil has the right stuff to clean off that sensor. I have also read GM makes a gas treatment that is supposed to clear up the problem as well, but I am sure that is more expencive than some oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think that it is that unusual to have to add to oil to the car, especially if you drive it hard. When you get one quart low the car will warn you about it. Actually that just happened to me, I have only had to add 3 quarts over 4 years with regular oil changes, but have been driving it a bit harder recently. When you are at the bottom of the grooved border on the dipstick you need to add about a quart of oil, probably do 1/2 first and see what that does. Hope that helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts