Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much stress is there on the lower ball joint when the suspension bottoms out? I have a mono spring front and have lowered it to about 26". On a road with a lot of swales the suspension bottoms out. I have replaced one of the ball joints since the complete front end rebuild (about 1,000 miles ago) and now I have heard what sounds and feels like a loose ball joint again.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
It's a LOT, you slam down to the rubber stops, and that BJ is taking a hell of a beating...IMO...can't see any other way....

you sure you against the stops on the upstroke?? typical 2" drop in front is worth 460-550 springs, or equivalent, and so slamming the suspension would take airborne, I would think....

I had just replaced all the suspension moving components in my '72 with 460 springs in front....and so chased a guy out some apple orchard highway on way to Carlysle vette show...12 years ago...and I was doing ~80 mph up and over steep country road hills following this guy in a Ford jacked up pickup...
he was a local farm guy, as he turned off into the farm road, so HE knew where he was....it was a GREAT ride for me....anyway, when the car went airborne enough to hear the front/rear clunk on the downstroke, I allmost had a stroke of my own thinking it was into the weeds.....no, the silly car did fine...

all I know is I got about 150k miles outta those Moog lower front joints afterwards...

I have NO honest idea if there ever was actual factual AIR under either end of my car, but the suspension CLUNK on the downstroke coming overthe crest of thehill was VERY EVIDENT....

I doubt slamming the car is the problem....

:cheers: :devil:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
How much stress is there on the lower ball joint when the suspension bottoms out? I have a mono spring front and have lowered it to about 26". On a road with a lot of swales the suspension bottoms out. I have replaced one of the ball joints since the complete front end rebuild (about 1,000 miles ago) and now I have heard what sounds and feels like a loose ball joint again.
There are some crappy ball joints out there. Get a Moog and be done with it. You probably just have crappy ones. They are tough critters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts