Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lowering my car today, i did the left front with no problems after i got the leaf adjuster free with liguid wrench. I go over to the right front and i see that the lower ball joint hex screw is stripped!!, so now i can't get the nut off and i can't tighten it either. I am guessing my only choice is to go to the dealer and get a new bolt, i hope i dont have to buy a whole new lower A-arm now. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
How you doing with the striped nut...:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not good. After some research, i'm convinced i have to buy a new lower control arm, as it seems GM doesn't sell the lower ball joint seperate. I'm going to order the a-arm from gmpartsdirect.

I'm just going to cut the bolt off taking care not to cut into the knuckle. I suspect this car was driven in the rain prior to me buying it, the under body does not looks as good and shiney as some cars on this site. Once i get this part i can lower the rest of the car and be done with it.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Not sure if this relevant but I just upgraded my C4 in which I replaced the front lower ball joint.

The ball joint just presses out and a new one presses in.

I would have to think that the C5 would be similar. It's a little bit of a job to get the A-arm off but not to bad.

How about a picture?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ecklers has the lower ball joint (http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=50881&dept_id=1803) for 39.99. If i replaced the ball joint instead of the whole lower control arm, how hard would it be to press in and out.

I never dealt with ball joints before and was just thinking of replacing the whole lower control arm taking the easier route

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Take the a-arm off and take it to a machine shop. You might need a gear puller to properly get the ball joint out of the hub assembly but the local autozone should rent a puller.

I could get the ball joint out but not back in.

Save the grief and aggravation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered the lower ball joint from ecklers for $39.99 vs 166.99 for the whole lower control arm. I will bring it to my local shop and have it done and thats that...i hope! Thanks for the replies, this forum is great.

Patrick :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts