Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Do you know what else hawaiian did? or did he simply shave his wedges to the max??
I'm not sure if he even used wedges, but I remember his car was LOW! He also had a body kit on it which may have made it appear a little lower also.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm not sure if he even used wedges, but I remember his car was LOW! He also had a body kit on it which may have made it appear a little lower also.
yea i remember that. he had absolutely no space between tire and fender.

I am going to get rid of my 18" zr1s and get a pair of 17/18" wheels with a wider rear tire. However, I am going to try to go with a lower profile tire than i have now, so i want to slam it as low as possible, so it will look right.

Thanks for the help, I will try to find what he did.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
yea i remember that. he had absolutely no space between tire and fender.

I am going to get rid of my 18" zr1s and get a pair of 17/18" wheels with a wider rear tire. However, I am going to try to go with a lower profile tire than i have now, so i want to slam it as low as possible, so it will look right.

Thanks for the help, I will try to find what he did.
you can go to low and the sterring get stiffer. put more of a load on the rack. i am at 25 3/4 to the arch of the wheel well and thats pretty low. going to low and you will not have as much camber gain. the a-arms will be maxed out. you can keep shimming the upper out but that thros bump steer into play. then get into a curve at a higher rate of speed and suspension travel its intire range of motion up and BS come into effect and guess which way it will dart. if you get under a c4 there aare a couple things to look at. the LCA has a cast mark at the ball joint, it should be inline with the LCA mounting points. the car can be lowered to some what of a degree before all these points start changing and thros the geometry off. mite be something you will wont to think about when you drive a car off in a curve at 80 and the pavement changes while you hook a big left and the rear does not follow. their are bump kits...but that is one of the hardest things to figure out and make rite.

·
Registered
322 Posts
epaholst, Definitely get some rubber under the ends of the springs. That design with the puck looks better than the 84-87 design. Ours have a big chunk of rubber bonded to the spring, but it allows sand and gravel to get under it. This chews up the control arm a little, but not as bad I'd expect yours to with metal on metal.

Punch's car has the spring basically sitting on the frame, and the ends are shaved too. He also has some optical illusion going on because all the pics he posts are shrunk vertically.

·
Once again, "Hawaiian Punch"
1,265 Posts
NO that makes perfect sense. I couldn't remember how DC member hawaiianpunch got his vette so slammed. For some reason, i thought he didn't use the wedges, but that wouldn't work at all.

I've had the kit for about a year now, just haven't done anything with it. I'll be sure to try and sand the wedges as much as possible, while maintaining the "wedge" shape on top.

Do you know what else hawaiian did? or did he simply shave his wedges to the max??
Aloha, I actualy didnt use the wedges at all, the spring was held in simply by it sitting in the a frames on each end of the spring, thats what held the spring in place, I also trimmed away the rubber pieces at each end of the spring to drop it another inch....... or at least close to another inch.

·
1,265 Posts
epaholst, Definitely get some rubber under the ends of the springs. That design with the puck looks better than the 84-87 design. Ours have a big chunk of rubber bonded to the spring, but it allows sand and gravel to get under it. This chews up the control arm a little, but not as bad I'd expect yours to with metal on metal.

Punch's car has the spring basically sitting on the frame, and the ends are shaved too. He also has some optical illusion going on because all the pics he posts are shrunk vertically.
this was true about the pic optical, but i also used a camera that made things apear vertical then norm which was the case with T.M's camera which what we used for all the pics back in those days. I had to stretch out the pics a bit to even out what the camera did when the pic was taken but, the ones which happend to be some of the last pics taken of her before i sold it was not touched, it was as the camera had taken them, the only thing i touched in those pics was bloting out my liecense plate to make it look like I had a plate cover over them whcih I didnt, that was all.

as far as the pieces cut out form the ends, I did cut them out as i had responded above but, I also left some there just because I didnt want the bare spring rubbing on the a frame......i drove it this way til i sold the car without having any hint of issues with the car.

Mahalo for bringing this up, so I can clear the air on some things here.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
I didn't use the wedges on my old 89 or this current 89. I ran into my old 89 a friend had picked up.It has been 7 years since i slammed that car and nothing was wrong with it at all.And it was still slammed.I ran into Hawaiian Punches old 91 just a year ago,the new owner trashed the car,but the stance was the same and no spring issues.
Theres really no difference in the spring pivoting on a 1/8 inch piece of rubber,or the frame of the car.With no wedges,theres actually more spring locked against the frame than with any size wedge at all.
And lets not forget about Toolmans superchared 87 that doesn't have wedges either,he's going on about 8 years now.

Whats up Kalani...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks so much for clearing all that up! I have been wondering so much how to get it slammed, but kept hearing so many different responses.

so from Hawaiian and T.M. both, i think no wedges is the way to go for the ultimate drop. Thanks guys.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks so much for clearing all that up! I have been wondering so much how to get it slammed, but kept hearing so many different responses.

so from Hawaiian and T.M. both, i think no wedges is the way to go for the ultimate drop. Thanks guys.
If you do remove the wedges completely, just keep an eye on that spring and make sure you aren't damaging it by riding with it against the frame.

Definitely post up some pictures of the finished product:partyon:

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
If you do remove the wedges completely, just keep an eye on that spring and make sure you aren't damaging it by riding with it against the frame.

Definitely post up some pictures of the finished product:partyon:
redman,thanks,i borrowed a pic from you're lowering thread...lol
Keep in mind that the center/flat section of the spring,is already against the body of the car,by removing the wedges,only a little more of the spring is against the body.It all snug,and no big deal.If one looks at the stock spring when they pull it out,it's all chipped and has hairline cracks already anyway..just like the one in the pic.

·
1,265 Posts
redman,thanks,i borrowed a pic from you're lowering thread...lol
Keep in mind that the center/flat section of the spring,is already against the body of the car,by removing the wedges,only a little more of the spring is against the body.It all snug,and no big deal.If one looks at the stock spring when they pull it out,it's all chipped and has hairline cracks already anyway..just like the one in the pic.
Hui todd!! howzit my braddah!! I miss you in da islands, we need to set up one visit from Texas to Hawaii or Hawaii to Texas.

It was great talking to you the other week to, soubnds like things are finaly getting back to normal for you thank God eh.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
still can't believe you moved to texas..I'll give you a call wed bro..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Finally got around to lowering the vette today. I used redmen's step by step and it went very smoothly.

Thanks so much for the help! It was great! :thumbsup:

A few things I would add....

It may be easier removing and reinstalling the spring if a lower A-arm was removed.

Also, used a grinder wheel to shave down the wedges, as the belt sander was too slow for me. In addition, to cut the rubber off the spring, I used a radial arm saw. Took it right off. Other than that there were no hangups.

I will post pictures later. I may lower the rear more than I did, so it matches the front. The front is perfect!

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
good deal..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
so who wants to lower my vette for me :D

i want to lower it but im not that great with anything on cars. even with a step by step i ususally end up messing something up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I also wanted to note, that I debated to whether or not I was going to use wedges.... I ended up using them due to the fact I am running 18" wheels wth 275/40 tires, and are a whole inch taller than what most C4s are running. So I figured with shaved down wedges, it would be perfect height. And it is.

However, i think, without wedges would be just fine and maybe even a little easier to get the spring back in.

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
Get some pics up soon bro...:thumbsup:

I run 19" wheels,but 275/30/19's..the 30 series Pirelli's i have are 25" top top bottom,which is actually shorter than the 275/40/17 that was stock on my car at 25.7" top to bottom.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Awesome!:partyon:

Looking forward to the pictures. You're lucky that the front came out perfect, thats great to hear. The rear is a piece of cake to adjust and can be done in a matter of minutes as you know.

:cheers:

41 - 60 of 98 Posts