Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. The previous owner swapped to the rear mono spring so I don't gave to tackle that. I read somewhere that when lowering, your half shafts should be level. My half shafts are at horizontal position. I want to take the car a little lower because sometimes it seems as though the front is a little higher so I want to go with the 550 springs which will take off another inch or so plus stiffen things up, or I will do the front monospring. Should I leave my rear alone since my half shafts are level? I have noticed alot of Vettes with a slight rake, which looks good by the way, so I am wondering if they have done the same. I don't want to beat up my underside and exhaust either so your opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello everyone. The previous owner swapped to the rear mono spring so I don't gave to tackle that. I read somewhere that when lowering, your half shafts should be level. My half shafts are at horizontal position. I want to take the car a little lower because sometimes it seems as though the front is a little higher so I want to go with the 550 springs which will take off another inch or so plus stiffen things up, or I will do the front monospring. Should I leave my rear alone since my half shafts are level? I have noticed alot of Vettes with a slight rake, which looks good by the way, so I am wondering if they have done the same. I don't want to beat up my underside and exhaust either so your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Got my springs from VB&P.
550lb front, 420lb rear.

Half Shafts are level on mine. I wish I could lower the back a little bit more, but I've gotten used to the look. I'm just leaving it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
FWIW mine are pointing a tad up going towards the wheels. Yes I am low and no driveline problems set like this.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Spezzy. Your car sits very nice. I may go ahead and do the 550's then see how I like it. I have no clue what the rear rate is. I know the car is too bouncy for me. I mean seriously bouncy. I probably need shocks also.
Thanks Kaos. It's good to know I can go a tad lower if I need to.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,787 Posts
If you switched to a glass spring then you will need the shocks valved for them or you will be bouncing all over.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gtr I think that's exactly what happened. The previous owner did the glass spring and kept funky shocks. Boy I tell ya. I have no clue about the front springs so that's why I'm gonna go ahead and do them. I will attack the shocks also.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
the reason it is not recommended to have your half-shafts above horizontal is that it will induce a toe-out condition any time the suspension compresses. Toe-out can be unstable and will make the rear end feel twitchy.

Sounds like a new set of shocks will be a great place to start. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts