Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my C5 was lowered in the front when i bought it and i want to lower the rear. From what I have seen on a picture of the "lowering kit" is two shorter bolts? I was wondering what bolts these are. Or what is the easiest way to lower it. Are the bolts the ones that attach to the Flat bar(name?) that runs across the bottom?DO the bolts have three rubber bushings on top? Sorry for all the questions?

Thanks
Johnny

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
1st find the proper ride height in your servive manual, If any part of your car has been lowered you need to know how much and how...
if they cut or heated the springs I'd buy 4 new springs but they could have installed drop spindles.... you need to know!!!!
Keep us posted

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
the c5 does have two springs,those are the flat bars your refering to.There about a 1/2" wide and run from side to side.The bolts are at each end,just inside the tire.
I put 8" bolts(longer,not shorter)in the rear of mine because i lowered it 3".While your cars on jacks,your actually letting the spring down as your loosening the bolts.And when you let the car down,the spring goes flat than stock,hence increasing the spring rate a little.My car is slammed and i let Hawaiian Punch drive it and he said it turns like a go-cart.That thing can go thru some twisties.The C5 is so easy to lower,but you must get it aligned after a little driving,and if you go as low as me you need custom shocks,i rode on my stock ones for about a year before they were shot,they were always bottomed out.:laughing: hope it helps a little.:buhbye:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hawaii, my bad automatically i think of the springs as coils. Thanks for the info it is exactlly what i needed. what shocks are you running now? And i noticed on my front spring there is no nut on top of the bolts just a lock washer type clip should i put a nut on there? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If you go to a site like RKSport, I think it is www.rksport.com, and look for lowering bolts, they will show a picture of the bolts. You need to relate that picture to the unerside of your car. The bolts support or bend the existing "flat" spring on either end. You need to dial the bolt head farther in or out. You also need to realign your vehicle when done or you wind up with severe tire wear.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
FlatlineC5 said:
Thanks Hawaii, my bad automatically i think of the springs as coils. Thanks for the info it is exactlly what i needed. what shocks are you running now? And i noticed on my front spring there is no nut on top of the bolts just a lock washer type clip should i put a nut on there? Thanks for the help guys
As far as the front goes,there is a threaded bushing that goes thru the spring,then bolt threads in/out of the bushing,no nut,the washer is just a saftey washer if i remember correctly(been two years)The front bolts are also reverse thread.I just took my bolts out,and left them in the garage.:D
Some cars have problems when doing this,depends which spring you have,i am going to go a little lower later when i get 19s all around.There are rubber pads toward the middle of the spring,one on each side,you can take the rubber out of the bracket,trim the rubber (like a C4),and get maybe another 1/2",i will need a bump steer kit before i do this,because my tie-rods are almost out of "safe" threads.
I'm still on the stock shocks,im going to do rims,shocks,tires and alignment all at the same time,I'm looking at QA-1 adjustables,or Bilstein stroked shocks.You can call and work out the measurements,then they make them.

If you take your front bolts out,the car will be really low,not many like it that low,but i'm not doing it for them...:laughing:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info. ya i want to lower mine in the front ore also but i got a driveway to get up and the front spoiler scrapes as is. thanks again.

:NX:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
opps,i forgot to mention,i had to trim my front spoiler.I actually ended up cutting it in half(long way),and just took the side ones off.:buhbye:

·
Banned
591 Posts
if you go too low , you'll need to correct the bumpsteer

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
vettex2 said:
if you go too low , you'll need to correct the bumpsteer
thats were i'm at right now,i can't go lower until i get the kit.But that won't be until i get the rims.I also added and removed spacers from the upper A-arms(front),i love playing with things.One thing,it's a major pain in the ass to jack the car up.Have to roll up on a couple stacked 2x4s just to get clearance for the floor jack.oh-well...:smokin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are just wanting to lower the back and not too much you can do it for free. Jack up the back of the car and remove both spring bolts. Take the bushings and cut them to the desired height. When you reinstall the bushings make sure the "nipple" looking part goes upwards. You can reinstall the spring bolts and tighten down. I tightened mine to where I could count 11 threads on the spring bolts. This dropped the car about 1-1.5".

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Cajundude said:
If you are just wanting to lower the back and not too much you can do it for free. Jack up the back of the car and remove both spring bolts. Take the bushings and cut them to the desired height. When you reinstall the bushings make sure the "nipple" looking part goes upwards. You can reinstall the spring bolts and tighten down. I tightened mine to where I could count 11 threads on the spring bolts. This dropped the car about 1-1.5".
I left my bushings alone,i changed the bolt to and 8" long bolt,and only have a few threads left.I didn't want that rear bolt goudging the spring.
Here's how low my car is..Kind of a crappy picture,but you can slide the front part of your foot under my rocker panels,but not your whole foot..
Or maybe slide 1 finger between the tire and fender lip.But your finger would be at an angle.Just the way i like it....

·
Registered
21 Posts
That does look really good. A little too low for my taste because I don't want to go through the trouble of shaving the front spoiler and watching that closely to where I drive. Looks great though, good job!:partyon:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Thank's,your right,i do have to watch where i go.Iv'e lived here for 12 years now,so i pretty much know where not to go.I can clear alot of speed bumps,just at a couple of parks,they have some high ones.We don't have that big of speed bumps here.Or i would put the rocker savers and rollers on the car.:buhbye:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GORGEOUS!!! thats what i am lookin for. I can finally paint my rear calipers while i am doing that also. Definately gonna get those protectors also mine are all mesed up from the previous owner. Now did you have to go for a lower profile tire? what are you running right now? I believe you are getting 19's correct ?

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
FlatlineC5 said:
GORGEOUS!!! thats what i am lookin for. I can finally paint my rear calipers while i am doing that also. Definately gonna get those protectors also mine are all mesed up from the previous owner. Now did you have to go for a lower profile tire? what are you running right now? I believe you are getting 19's correct ?
Hi Flatline,
No,those are just regular run-craps.I do want to get 19s like the ones on 1badz06s car.(the one in the banner)He said with the tires he has on now (19s,35 profile-rear,30-front i think)the tire height was only 3/8"taller than stock.That would fill in the rest of my slight gap.A little wider in the rear too.Pirreli makes 19 inch run flats in any width,i don't want to have to use a plug and compressor on the side of the road,theres no way.So run-flats it is.
Alot has happened in the past month,plus in need nitrous and rear-end(3:42s)so the rims will have to wait until summer.With the left over caliper paint,i painted my sway-bars and engine parts too.:laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts